Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Is it dumb that I want us to draft another TE? I don’t have faith Logan Thomas can stay healthy.

I'm with you on that.  I have been picking one (usually McBride) in the draft simulators.:)

:229:The Rook

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

If they really want Pickett or Willis, why would they wait until we pick at 11. First of all we need a QB ourselves, so why risk and wait until we can make that decision. But also, we are basically the last team that needs a QB until probably New Orleans. So if they'd be willing to trade up for one of those they'd probably trade in front of us I would assume.

Maybe they like both of them but don't love them so they don't think it's worth it to give up a king's ransom to move up for them. Not saying if I agree or disagree, just guessing at reasons why it could go down that way.

Calvin Austin, I am watching in between combine drills.

Shorter slightly lighter Jahan Dotson same brand of a player.  Fast as heck, explosive with the ball in his hands.  Assume you got to play him slot.   Returns punts.

Feisty player in spite of his size.   Good change of direction.  Quick feet.  Use in the backfield as a weapon -- sweeps, end arounds.   

• Like 1

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed in the time by Dotson and Burks.  I thought Burks might run a 4.3 but it sounds like he is more of a top end speed guy/long strider than a quick accelerator.  Dotson probably should have run in the 4.3s and I read that he was hitting that time in his training.  He's a burner and that time has to be a slight disappointment for him.

I thought Burks was going to be this year's DK Metcalf but Metcalf remains a unicorn.  Maybe this is piling on Burks a little bit, but I could see him having some weight issues if he's not careful.  He's got the kind of body type that can add bad weight.

DJ came out with an article predicting the guys who would run the fastest 40s, and the three WR's he mentioned were Austin, Gray, and Dotson.  I don't think anyone saw Velus Jones and Bo Melton coming.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good number, I haven't watched him yet, if I recall that's @KDawg's guy

He was my guy in the 2020 season.  Wanted him to come out last season and thought he could have a big super senior year, but that never materialized.  He's a draftable talent though.

Just now, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

David Bell's best time was a 4.62?  I knew he wasn't dynamic, but ouch.

Yeah that was a little disappointing to see too.  He looks slow on tape so I was kind of hoping to see a surprisingly fast time.  Nope, he's just slow.  NFL DBs are going to sit on him and I think he'll need to play inside like a big slot.  But he'd be  an interesting target in the third round because he does have skills.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 7:58 AM, philibusters said:

Chig Okonkwo:  A 6'3 250 pound Tight End, Chig is going to be one of the more athletic TE's in the draft.  His testing numbers will be very solid.  He had 447 receiving yards on 52 catches and had 5 receiving TD's.  His PFF grade was 69.2 and his strongest category was 76.7 receiving grade.  However his blocking grades were significantly lower.  His run blocking grade was 49.7 and his pass blocking grade was 67.8.   If you want a receiver first TE, Chig is worth a look.  He has plus athleticism for the position.  But he is 6'2 or 6'3 so he is small for the position and not a great blocker.  He is a bit like Ricky Seal Jones in that he is effectively a hybrid TE-Receiver.   I don't love him as a player, but he has the athleticism to compete in the NFL. https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/chigoziem-okonkwo-shrine-bowl-highlights-2022-nfl-draft

My opinion:  Worth a look in the late rounds

Chig has the fastest 40 time of the TE's so far (4.52) and second highest vertical.  As I noted, he is athletic... https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/live-results/40-yards-dash/te/all-colleges/

Edited by philibusters
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

He was my guy in the 2020 season.  Wanted him to come out last season and thought he could have a big super senior year, but that never materialized.  He's a draftable talent though.

Cool, noted. A guy i watched yesterday who I liked a lot and is killing it today is Christian Watson.      i want to see what he runs, I suspect its 4.4 range.  Freak athlete.

So far, Rivera’s trip has been more than fruitful. The Commanders’ evenings have been packed with interviews. The formal ones can last as long as 18 minutes.

“There’s been some really good ones,” Rivera beamed. “There really have.”

The Commanders typically show a collection of plays from the prospect’s college career on a big screen. Some are good. Others are ones the player probably would like to forget.

The intent is to illicit a reaction and create questions: Why did you do that here? What happened on this play? What was supposed to happen here?

“What’s really cool is you can watch some of them light up on a play, and sometimes the guy will react because it was a bad play and he knows it,” Rivera said. “ ‘You picked that one? Out of all the plays, you picked that one?’ You’re listening for whether the guy is willing to take responsibility, or does he throw somebody under the bus?”

His Burrow and Young moment this year came in a chance meeting with linebackers Nakobe Dean and Quay Walker, who were teammates at Georgia. Walker jokingly claimed that he doesn’t play as stiff as Thomas Davis, a Georgia alum who played for Rivera with Carolina and Washington. Rivera laughed and shared the story with Davis when he saw him later in the day.

“It was that moment away from everybody where they don’t have to put on the airs,” Rivera said. “They can let their hair down a little bit and be themselves. And it was kind of neat, you know, like with Joe Burrow. I saw an air of confidence — not conceit, but confidence. Same thing with Chase. These guys want to be the best.”

Rivera has said he seeks players who love the game because only they will be truly committed. He believes he can gauge a player’s passion for the game even in brief interviews — such as one the Commanders had with Liberty quarterback Malik Willis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/03/03/commanders-rivera-scouting-combine/

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

So Burks is bombing the combine?

Gonna have to put him in the "football player" category with dudes like Deebo, who aren't talented track athletes, but are a lot faster at the kind of motions you use in football.  He's not as physical and gifted with the ball in his hands as Deebo was, but he's bigger and probably has a faster top gear.  Probably more talented at going up and circus catching the ball too.

This WR class is good, but there aren't any great prospects in it.  No top 15 guys, but it will have a ton who go late teens through 50, and a lot of them will end up being good pros.  Feels like the sweet spot for drafting WR this year is in the 20s and 30s.