Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am watching Tony Pauline's draft show right now, he's pretty plugged in. He says the Vikings are actively telling teams they want to trade down.  He believes the Steelers, Chargers, Saints are willing to trade up a little. 

Every team wants to trade down.

I've heard trades in the 2nd round will be rampant compared to the 1st.  As teams don't want to give up 2023 1st rounders.

7 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Every team wants to trade down.

I've heard trades in the 2nd round will be rampant compared to the 1st.  As teams don't want to give up 2023 1st rounders.

Also goes to the depth of this draft. Not a huge difference between late first and early 3rd rounders in this draft. It is stacked.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pauline thinks Hamilton goes either towards the bottom of the top 10 or to somewhere in the early teens.  He suggested teams might have some concerns about his coverage ability and my see him as a player that plays better moving forward. 

He hears Breece Hall has some late first round grades from some teams but he doen't think he gets drafted in the first round.

Pierre Strong and Dameon Pierce could go in the third round which is sooner than what the mock drafters are expecting.   He thinks Strong goes before Pierce.  Both players i like so I could see that.

Cook he thinks goes 3rd round, some chance late 2nd.

Most teams have McBride as their top TE. 

Jeremy Ruckert's stock dropping some -- maybe 4th round.

Nakobe Dean he thinks goes early 2nd round

I'm curious to see where Troy Andersen is taken.  I say no lower than the mid 2nd.  I think he climbs draft boards.  

6 hours ago, Ball Security said:

McCain 40: 4.51 (seven years ago)

Hamilton 40: 4.59

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Hamilton clocked in at 21mph on GPS and you can see his range in a lot of plays. I wouldn’t want him lined up in man coverage on a quick guy, but he has great instincts and despite his poor 40, does have very good top end speed. I’m not sure why is 4.7 is given more credence than his official combine time of 4.59. Hamilton isn’t, “slow”. But he’s also not Daxton hill quick.

FWIW, Ed Reed ran a 4.57 at the combine and Sean Taylor a 4.51 at his pro day. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2952797-notre-dame-safety-kyle-hamilton-is-unicorn-of-2022-nfl-draft-class.amp.html

I'd be hesitant at trusting Hamilton to be the deep man in a cover 1. It's not purely a speed thing, though his mediocre 40 time doesn't help. IIRC it was @Skinsinparadisewho provided some (I think it was PFF) grades that showed Hamilton as not doing very well in deep coverage.

And in watching Hamilton's ND cutups (and also highlight videos) you can see that they didn't often line him up as a single high deep safety. He was much more often used in a quarters, cover 2 or cover 3 where he was usually not responsible for deep sideline to sideline. He was also lined up in a buffalo nickel role quite a few times as well. So it's clear that ND felt he was a better fit in that sort of role.

I really do like Hamilton as a prospect but with him being a bit of a potential liability in deep coverage and probably more of a fit for a buffalo nickel role, I wouldn't take him over London or Wilson and I'd be pretty hard pressed to decide between him and Lloyd.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'm curious to see where Troy Andersen is taken.  I say no lower than the mid 2nd.  I think he climbs draft boards.  

I love him. Him playing Mike and coming in for special offense packages is really exciting to think about.

Has all the traits you look for and is only scratching the surface having only played LB for 1 year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I love him. Him playing Mike and coming in for special offense packages is really exciting to think about.

Has all the traits you look for and is only scratching the surface having only played LB for 1 year.

Me too.  Swiss army knife.  These kinds of players don't come around often.  :)  Commanders shouldn't hesitate at #47.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I wouldn't wanna waste the #11 pick on a Buffalo Nickel. That's a gimmicky/hybrid position. We gotta get someone that can lock down a legitimate spot for the next 5+ years at least.

It’s not a gimmicky position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

It’s not a gimmicky position.

Wish list, KDawg.  Give it to me.  #11, #47, #113, #189, #230, #240.  I think I got out picks right.  LOL.  Tell me who you take.  Play along, bro!  :) 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pauline thinks Hamilton goes either towards the bottom of the top 10 or to somewhere in the early teens.  He suggested teams might have some concerns about his coverage ability and my see him as a player that plays better moving forward. 

He hears Breece Hall has some late first round grades from some teams but he doen't think he gets drafted in the first round.

Pierre Strong and Dameon Pierce could go in the third round which is sooner than what the mock drafters are expecting.   He thinks Strong goes before Pierce.  Both players i like so I could see that.

Cook he thinks goes 3rd round, some chance late 2nd.

Most teams have McBride as their top TE. 

Jeremy Ruckert's stock dropping some -- maybe 4th round.

Nakobe Dean he thinks goes early 2nd round

So not #11 or #12 for Hamilton? 🙂

BTW, I’d love to get McBride in the 2nd.  TEs usually don’t pay dividends right away, but he’d be excellent for the future.

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Hot take: the defense is better with Daxton Hill at FS alongside Curl than Hamilton playing buffalo. As mentioned above, he's better playing moving forward. We don't want Curl back on the bench like last year... So he'd play buffalo.

Buffalo is a position you can get away with a less premier player. IE: bringing Landon Back cheap, or guys like JoJo Domann, or Smoke Monday in the later rounds.

I'd be okay with Hamilton but seriously doubt he's the pick, and wouldn't lose sleep if we passed on him.

Who is the 11th guy on D in this scenario: front 4, Cole, Davis, Jackson, Fuller, Curl,  Hill?  

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Pickens will be one of those guys who gets drafted late, makes some plays and shows tantalizing talent, but is also such a garbage personality that he'll end up bouncing around the league because noone wants to deal with him despite the talent.

Think Antonio Bryant back in the day if y'all remember.

If our second round pick has a career similar to Antonio Bryant, but does it all in Washington, then that’s a successful pick.

19 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Not for me.

BTW, I’d love to get McBride in the 2nd.  TEs usually don’t pay dividends right away, but he’d be excellent for the future.

Meh. With the depth of this TE class I'd rather go a different position and draft a guy like Jelani Woods, Daniel Bellinger, or Okonkwo later in the draft.

Who is the 11th guy on D in this scenario: front 4, Cole, Davis, Jackson, Fuller, Curl,  Hill?  

In base: Chenal/Andersen/Vet FA MLB

In nickel: Landon Collins (re-signed), Andersen(flexed out playing buffalo), or mid rounders like JoJo Domann, Markquese Brown, Smoke Monday, Percy Butler, Nick Cross  (all playing buffalo)

If we fail to address MLB in rounds 1-3 I'd like to see us take Damone Clark out of LSU in the 5th/6th if he's still there. Had back surgery but expected to make a full recovery.

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

In base: Chenal/Andersen/Vet FA MLB

In nickel: Landon Collins (re-signed), Andersen(flexed out playing buffalo), or mid rounders like JoJo Domann, Markquese Brown, Smoke Monday, Percy Butler, Nick Cross  (all playing buffalo)

So, if I’m reading you correctly, you’re banking on a trade back?  And you’d go defense with 2 of our  first picks.  

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

So, if I’m reading you correctly, you’re banking on a trade back?  And you’d go defense with 2 of our  first picks.  

Its about BPA at positions of need for me. There's so many different scenarios. If we go D first two picks, we fix offense by getting guys like Alec Pierce at WR, and Damian Pierce at RB at picks 3 and 4. I feel this scenario is least likely. One of our top 2 picks will be offense.

So say we go Dax Hill late 1st, followed by Pickens or Watson at WR as our 2nd rounder... Then I'd take Troy Andersen at MLB in the early 3rd. Or 1. Dax, 2.Walker/Hall, 3.Alec Pierce, and Damone Clark later.

Or we go WR late round 1 like a Burks, and Kenneth Walker or Breece Hall in the 2nd... Then I'd go all defense and hopefully still get Troy Andersen or take Kerby Joseph at FS and draft Damone Clark at LB later on. 

No matter what, there is an excellent player at positions of need that could start right away all the way through round 4, early 5th to me. Just a matter of sitting back and taking our top rated.

So yes, I really want to trade back.

I'd Kill for picks 32 and 34 from the lions+ a 3rd or 4th. 

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1

The no matter what part… where you said no matter what there’s an excellent player for us? That’s not true. We don’t know who will be on the board when. It’s a mistake to assume otherwise.

True. Better choice of words would be "more than likely". More than likely due to the depth of this draft. Just my 2 cents. 

29 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

True. Better choice of words would be "more than likely". More than likely due to the depth of this draft. Just my 2 cents. 

Knowing our luck we'd trade back from 11 with some really good players still on the board, then pat ourselves on the back for being super clever and getting lots of mediocre depth...while the guy we would have picked at 11 becomes an All Pro.

Personally I only want us to trade back if 1) There's nobody there at 11 who we have on our board as worth that pick or 2) we get absolutely blown away by an offer. IMO trading back for the sake of trading back is silly because unless someone is moving way up, all you're likely to get is an extra mid round pick who will have little chance of doing much.

truth is chances of us trading back are pretty slim... this draft has been touted as deep but not very top talent heavy. It seems like most teams is the top 12 would love to trade back so our opportunity will be very limited. My hope is that some really good players fall due to a run on DEs, O lineman and QBs. Just make the pic and dont overthink it.

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

Wish list, KDawg.  Give it to me.  #11, #47, #113, #189, #230, #240.  I think I got out picks right.  LOL.  Tell me who you take.  Play along, bro!  :) 

I don't like these. I don't know how the draft is going to shake out.

But:

London, Walker, Pitre, Ferguson would be a good class.

If we could get Chenal (we can't) I'd put him in there.

Barring that, the other route I'd like is if we DID trade back (Not in favor)...

Lloyd, Walker, Austin III, Chenal

But I just don't see how we get all the names in either scenario. Though I think my first one is a touch more realistic. Pitre may be gone, but I'm curious how Smoke Monday could play in that flex role, too. I haven't looked at him athletically for what it's worth. But I love how he plays downhill football. 

If we can't get Walker or Hall I like the LSU back, the Florida back and Robinson. Robinson is excellent in pass pro. And he's a bruiser that can fit this offense. Sans Walker he may actually be my preference. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I said "to" the early teens.  Meaning up to the early teens so yes 11 and 12 would be included

Pitre may be gone, but I'm curious how Smoke Monday could play in that flex role, too. I haven't looked at him athletically for what it's worth.

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 6.16.57 AM.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I said "to" the early teens.  Meaning up to the early teens so yes 11 and 12 would be included

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 6.16.57 AM.png

Bubba Bolden is intriguing, too. He's not a physical guy... but as a Miami fan I've watched him for years and this guy is as sure a tackler as the Canes have had in space. He's not a plan, though. He's a flier. Need someone to man that spot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Bubba Bolden is intriguing, too. He's not a physical guy... but as a Miami fan I've watched him for years and this guy is as sure a tackler as the Canes have had in space. He's not a plan, though. He's a flier. Need someone to man that spot.

Alontae Taylor is interesting to me.  I watched him a little and it threw me off that he was playing outside corner but he's projected at the next level to play FS.  Clearly he can play CB.  Athletically he has freakish numbers.  So maybe in a way he's a poor man's Daxton Hill?

I also watched a little Lewis Cine.  I love how physical he is coming down hill. He's a missle on that front and has good instincts -- reminds me of a smaller Jeremy Chinn on that front.

It was fun watching him battle with a RB that I know both you and I like in Brian Robinson.  They went back and forth, Cine mostly prevailed and that's impressive considering Cine's size and Robinson's size.  Cine had to build momentum to use that power to bring Robinson down, one time he didn't get that force from charging in and Robinson steam rolled him. 

Like some other big hitters like him, he can whifs on some tackles.  I think he's a bit overrated in coverage.  He's decent on that front but seemed to be a step behind a bunch of those plays but he did look fluid backpeddiling.  Split safety coverage mostly from what I saw.  I think he's another dude with the profile to maybe play big nickle. He's undersized for it but IMO he might be physical enough nonetheless to do it. 

• Thanks 1

11. Washington Commanders

Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

Hamilton has been dinged a little bit because of his 40 time, which was a 4.59 at the combine and a little slower at his pro day. He's a fantastic player, but he doesn't have rare physical tools, which means he could fall out of the top 10. I would want him on my team. At 6-foot-4, he could play multiple positions, from center fielder to box linebacker. He would make plays for a Washington defense that disappointed in 2021.

47. Washington Commanders (via IND)

George Pickens, WR, Georgia

I love this for Washington, which could get a 6-foot-3 outside receiver with No. 1 traits. He tore his ACL last spring and returned late in the 2021 season, making an impact down the stretch. It's no guarantee he lasts until Round 2 -- teams could think long-term and be patient with him -- but the Commanders should try to pair him with Terry McLaurin.

8. Atlanta Falcons

Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State

I'm going to stick with this prediction because ... who is Marcus Mariota going to throw to next season? The Falcons just don't have any starting-caliber receivers. Wilson can run every route and beat defenders after the catch. He could be the early favorite for rookie of the year if he lands here -- he'd get a bunch of targets. Atlanta will likely be tracking the edge rushers closely, but there isn't value at this point on my board.

10. New York Jets (via SEA)

Drake London, WR, USC

If the Jets can pull this off -- a top-tier receiver here and a high-upside edge rusher at No. 4 -- shouldn't they be considered one of the most improved teams of the offseason? I like what they've done, and they haven't had to break the bank. Of course, that doesn't mean they're going to be AFC East contenders just yet. London is a 6-foot-4 target who will dominate in the red zone and pull down 50-50 balls to boost Zach Wilson's completion percentage.

15. Philadelphia Eagles (via MIA)

Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State

After last week's trade with the Saints, the Eagles now have one fewer first-round pick, but you have to think they'll take a receiver with one of them, right? If they're committed to using 2022 as an evaluation year for Jalen Hurts, the best way they can evaluate him is to give him the tools to succeed. Olave had seven touchdowns out of the slot last season, but he can move outside, too, and use his 4.39 40 speed to get open. Hurts would love throwing to him and DeVonta Smith, with Dallas Goedert working the middle of the field.

18. Philadelphia Eagles (via NO)

Nakobe Dean, ILB, Georgia

I see a massive void in the middle of the Eagles' front seven, and we're getting to the point in this draft in which an off-ball linebacker will be taken. I have Devin Lloyd just ahead of Dean in my rankings, but there are teams that will fall in love with Dean's intangibles. He's a tremendous teammate who was the leader of the national champs' historic defense. He's a little undersized, but he can play sideline to sideline.

21. New England Patriots

Devin Lloyd, ILB, Utah

I thought about a wide receiver and cornerback here, but Lloyd just feels like a Bill Belichick-type player. He's always around the ball, is a great blitzer from the middle of the defense and makes plays. The Patriots allowed 4.5 yards per carry last season, which ranked 25th in the league. This fills a void with an impact player.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

22. Green Bay Packers (via LV)

Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State

There could be a run on wide receivers in the 20s, starting with the Patriots and Packers. We know Green Bay needs one after the Davante Adams trade, but I don't think general manager Brian Gutekunst is going to force it. Watson is a riser, as teams see a 6-foot-4 receiver with 4.36 40 speed and elite measurables and think he can be a big-play threat who can grow into a better route runner. Watson averaged 20.4 yards per catch in his college career. Watson is ready to contribute for Aaron Rodgers as a rookie.

25. Buffalo Bills

Daxton Hill, DB, Michigan

I just moved Hill way up on my Big Board. NFL teams love his versatility -- he played more than 550 snaps at nickelback in 2021 -- and think he could play both corner and safety. He might be a slot corner if he ends up in Buffalo, which lost Levi Wallace in free agency and has Tre'Davious White returning from an ACL tear. Andrew Booth Jr. (Clemson) and Kyler Gordon (Washington) are two other corners to keep an eye on. The Bills have one of the best rosters in the league.

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

26. Tennessee Titans

Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State

The Titans need to get faster at receiver next to A.J. Brown. That's not Robert Woods' game. Dotson, who ran a 4.43 40 at the combine, caught 91 passes last season, 33 coming from the slot. He would give Ryan Tannehill more easy throws because he can scoot after the catch. Tennessee could also target the best offensive lineman available with this pick. On my board, that would be center Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa), and he could play some guard.

53. Green Bay Packers (via LV)

Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati

My comp for Pierce will be familiar to Packers fans -- it's Jordy Nelson. And Green Bay got Nelson in the second round, too. The 6-foot-3 Pierce ran a 4.41 40 at the combine and also had a 40.5-inch vertical. He has rare physical tools, which have him climbing draft boards. He could thrive on go routes from Aaron Rodgers.

57. Buffalo Bills

Kenneth Walker III, RB, Michigan State

Bills fans would be thrilled with these two picks, right? Buffalo would address its hole in the secondary with Daxton Hill in Round 1, then get a starting-caliber late in Round 2. Walker is a bulldozer with some juice through the hole. He wasn't used much as a receiver in college (just 19 career catches), so that's a question mark. But for a team that needs to take pressure off its quarterback and has excellent receivers, Walker could thrive.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

58. Atlanta Falcons (via TEN)

Troy Andersen, LB, Montana State

Andersen played as an off-ball linebacker -- and quarterback, running back -- in college, racking up 150 tackles last season. He impressed at the combine, running a 4.42 40 at 6-foot-3 and 243 pounds. That's an elite number. Atlanta just has to focus on replenishing its roster, so this is great value.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1