Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

This is kind of a silly thought, but it bugs me how Washington is often so contrarian. Analysts called last year the year of the QB and we went out of our way not to get one (Okay, we got Fitz, but getting someone on a one year deal is not getting anyone). I remember years where the scouts proclaimed, "This is the best year for wide receivers in NFL history" and we wait until the seventh round to pick someone. This year is supposedly an amazing year at a couple positions and once again we want to ignore it and may sell out to get a QB in a poor crop.

Why do we always try to buy high and sell low? (selling low is Trent and Kirk. Maybe this thought of adding Payne in as a sweetener)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched Hamilton in real time plenty.  Never studied him because I figured its a waste of time because he's going early.  But with all these pass rushers and O lineman likely in the top 10, plus I doubt no Qb goes top 10 -- there might be a fighting chance so now I might do it.

I don't think the Giants would take him mainly because one of my favorite players in the draft years back McKinney has really quietly emerged as one of the best FS in the league.

Correct if I am wrong, but Hamilton did not participate in the combine.  After his pro day he could gain more momentum, however I tend to agree @Koolblue13 that he is that type of prospect that you find a way to get on the field.  

I do believe that the Jets are a match especially with two picks, however Salah would want to replicate IMO what he had in SF.  So if he gets a d line that can pressure it can hide some level of deficiency on the back end because the opposing QB will not have the time ti progress through his reads and put pressure on that secondary to cover.

Its looking more and more that Hamilton will be avail at 11.  That would be a steal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

This is kind of a silly thought, but it bugs me how Washington is often so contrarian. Analysts called last year the year of the QB and we went out of our way not to get one (Okay, we got Fitz, but getting someone on a one year deal is not getting anyone). I remember years where the scouts proclaimed, "This is the best year for wide receivers in NFL history" and we wait until the seventh round to pick someone. This year is supposedly an amazing year at a couple positions and once again we want to ignore it and may sell out to get a QB in a poor crop.

Why do we always try to buy high and sell low? (selling low is Trent and Kirk. Maybe this thought of adding Payne in as a sweetener)

I agree with you.  I think as I have always said that the organization, starting with Snyder does not have a direction. plan and culture of "this is how we do things around here"  Think of the Steelers.  Lord have mercy they have had three coaches the last 50 years, 50 YEARS because they have a philosophy that comes down from Mr. Rooney and permeates through that building.

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

We made a huge offer for Stafford and he just wanted to go to the Rams. We tried to move up in the draft for Fields, but they wanted a kings ransom. We would have drafted Mac if he lasted a couple more picks. We drafted 2 WRs and a TE in a historic WR draft, we justr drafted wrong.

I agree that our timing is off, but it's not for lack of trying. This is a monster MLB draft and we'll come away with one. Great WR draft and we'll come away with one. Great Dline draft, but we are already rich at the position. Next year is a QB draft and we've already said we'll draft one and be super aggressive about it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Next year is a QB draft and we've already said we'll draft one and be super aggressive about it.

The one thing I am not sure about is how deep will the QB draft be next year.  Young and Stroud are likely to go 1-2 in next year's draft.  So it will certainly be top heavy.   However, what I am less clear on is how deep the draft will be at QB.  Because there are two prospects who are viewed as likely franchise QB the draft is considered good, but we are unlikely to have a top 2 pick (probably we will be picking outside the top 10) and would likely have to trade a king's ransom to move up to two.   The 49'ers gave up 3 first round picks to move up to 3.   And the top two next year are likely going to be more highly regarded than all but Trevor Lawrence from last year's draft.  If we had to give up 4 first rounders to get one of the stars next year, that doesn't set you up well to win long term.

6 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The one thing I am not sure about is how deep will the QB draft be next year.  Young and Stroud are likely to go 1-2 in next year's draft.  So it will certainly be top heavy.   However, what I am less clear on is how deep the draft will be at QB.  Because there are two prospects who are viewed as likely franchise QB the draft is considered good, but we are unlikely to have a top 2 pick (probably we will be picking outside the top 10) and would likely have to trade a king's ransom to move up to two.   The 49'ers gave up 3 first round picks to move up to 3.   And the top two next year are likely going to be more highly regarded than all but Trevor Lawrence from last year's draft.  If we had to give up 4 first rounders to get one of the stars next year, that doesn't set you up well to win long term.

You can only trade 3 1rst rounder thank god.

Let's think about who is going to be in the top 5 though. Jets, Jags and they don't need one. Detroit will take someone this year I think. Maybe the Steelers. Maybe us. Texans maybe not if Mills keeps playing well. 

There will be teams at the top who don't need a QB and would love 3 first round picks, so it's definitely possible to get one of them.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think it’s draft picks from the next 3 drafts, so yes in most instances it would be 3.

However, the Eagles for example could offer 5 firsts for Wilson given they have 3 this year. I think that’s how it works anyway.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Let's think about who is going to be in the top 5 though. Jets, Jags and they don't need one. Detroit will take someone this year I think. Maybe the Steelers. Maybe us. Texans maybe not if Mills keeps playing well. 

There will be teams at the top who don't need a QB and would love 3 first round picks, so it's definitely possible to get one of them.

Good to know about the 3 first rounders.  That said, I think there is a decent possibility those guys go 1 and 2 because they are viewed as likely franchsie QB's and trading up for them will cost a fortune.   Doesn't matter who is picking 1 or 2.   Those teams will likely trade out because there are always teams willing to trade up for a franchise QB.  We shouldn't be terrible next year, on first glance, I think we'll be middle of the pack.  Without trading a lot, we are not going to get Young and Stroud.

15 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Good to know about the 3 first rounders.  That said, I think there is a decent possibility those guys go 1 and 2 because they are viewed as likely franchsie QB's and trading up for them will cost a fortune.   Doesn't matter who is picking 1 or 2.   Those teams will likely trade out because there are always teams willing to trade up for a franchise QB.  We shouldn't be terrible next year, on first glance, I think we'll be middle of the pack.  Without trading a lot, we are not going to get Young and Stroud.

Thats my point. If the Jags and Jets are picking 1&2, then they'll deal. If it costs 3 1rsts to get to 1, so be it. The rest of the team is built. If we don't reach big time this year and be prepared to go hog wild next year, I think its a better gamble. 

I stumbled my way into a PFN simulation that had me trade 11 to 20 getting pittsburghs 2023 1st. Then got offered 2,3 and 2023 1 from Indy for 20. 

Ended up getting Christian Harris, Christian Watson, Wydermeyer and an OT with 2/2/3/3 and got 2 #1’s from Indy and Pitt for 2023. 

Totally punted on QB but got some solid talent in a deep draft. Idk what the QB situation would be for 2022 … but maybe you’d ride with a Winston or Mariota and then have 3 firsts to offer should Watson be traded after the draft. Or just go all in and hope the top 1-2 teams next year don’t need a QB and trade out. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Lotta 2s and 4s in that tweet. I'm gonna go ahead and assume he gets drafted at 42.  :ols:

He have green dot history?

Among the bigger/heavy LBs, Anderson and Chenal arguably have had best combines.  I didn't know anything about Anderson until I heard Nagy hype him up on a podcast with Keim.   I haven't looked lately but couldn't find games that I could watch of Anderson, just highlights.  But interesting prospect -- former RB and QB. 

• Like 3

I've seen other comparisons to Vea. Vea is a pro bowler for a reason -- the dude is a monster.  I mentioned before seeing him play against us years back where I was at the game and I focused on him, he kept blowing up our guard and center -- scary stuff.  Davis is the better athlete.  But its a good point that Vea went earlish so should Davis but I see some mock draft types disagree

I was into Vea in 2018 from the stand point of thinking he's a better player than Payne and I certainly still believe that but Davis to me seems more special. I haven't though studied Davis, just watched him in real time but I'll get to it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've seen other comparisons to Vea. Vea is a pro bowler for a reason -- the dude is a monster.  I mentioned before seeing him play against us years back where I was at the game and I focused on him, he kept blowing up our guard and center -- scary stuff.  Davis is the better athlete.  But its a good point that Vea went earlish so should Davis but I see some mock draft types disagree

I was into Vea in 2018 from the stand point of thinking he's a better player than Payne and I certainly still believe that but Davis to me seems more special. I haven't tough studied Davis, just watched him in real time but I'll get to it. 

I disagree with Trapasso about Davis. Georgia rotates their guys at a ridiculous level. And Davis QB pressure made that dominant Georgia defense what it was:

Georgia's defense is loaded with talented football players, NFL caliber football players. Though it's Davis that carries the most impact. 

Look at these stats with him on the field vs him off the field from ESPN's College Gameday. 

Davis On Field Davis Off Field

Snaps

Yards/Play

Yards/Att

QB Contact Pct

40%

34%

Though perhaps the most important aspect of those statistics is the fact that the overwhelming majority of those 155 defensive snaps Davis has participated in have come on early downs. Meaning he plays a pivotal role in placing the opposition in difficult down and distance situations on third downs. It's no coincidence Georgia is allowing just 31% of third downs to be converted on the season. 

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/stats-jordan-davis-heisman-candidacy-georgia-football

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I disagree with Trapasso about Davis. Georgia rotates their guys at a ridiculous level. And Davis QB pressure made that dominant Georgia defense what it was:

Yeah I confess I haven't studied Davis though I watched plenty of Georgia in real time.  I once did study Vea.  I didn't love him enough to want him over Derwin and M. Fitzpatrick but I did like him distinctly over Payne.  I recall the Payne versus Vea debate we had here at the time. 

My issue with Vea was he seemed to take some plays off.  He's been a monster in the NFL, 4 time pro bowler.  And while I thought he was underrated as a pass rusher, i didn't really see him as a monster on that front like Davis seems to be potentially.

I do grudingly admit at the Tampa game years back that i watched live it was a bit scary how he kept blowing up our interior O line -- he looked like a man playing against boys.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1