Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW, McShay's 1st Mock was covered on Get Up and here's how he projected QB's.

1214210847.jpg

Corral.  That's my guy.  I'd love it.  I just went through the mock.

Some other highlights:

Hutchinson goes #1.  It feels that way to me too especially if its the Lions picking.  I don't think they go Corral.

N. Dean. #7

J. Williams #8 -- wow, I touted that dude early in the college season as somewhat of a sleeper considering all the attention Metchie got.  Granted no one stays a sleeper for long on Alabama. But I think #8 is too rich for me. 

Hamilton #9

Lloyd #14

J. Davis #24

J. Dotson #29

Burks #31

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Corral.  That's my guy.  I'd love it.  I just went through the mock.

Some other highlights:

Hutchinson goes #1.  It feels that way to me too especially if its the Lions picking.  I don't think they go Corral.

N. Dean. #7

J. Williams #8 -- wow, I touted that dude early in the college season as somewhat of a sleeper considering all the attention Metchie got.  Granted no one stays a sleeper for long on Alabama. But I think #8 is too rich for me. 

Hamilton #9

Lloyd #14

J. Davis #24

J. Dotson #29

Burks #31

I think my 2 main thoughts are Hill and the bulk of the safeties are still there at the top of the second, where I think they fly off the board again.

Second, if the Jets land Hamilton, that means they let Maye hit FA and we should pounce on him hard.

3 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I really feel like Willis is closest comp to a cam that Ron can get...and would be perfect for them both

There has never been a QB that compares to Cam. He's built like Rothlesburger and ran like Cunningham.

Willis is closer to a Lamar.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

FA is loaded at safety next year.  Looks bad though at MLB. 

MLB is almost always bad. You can get away with a "good" MLB on a good defense and they're super affordable. Even the best MLBs rarely break the bank, unless they're HoF material. 

MLB is really a position that needs to be drafted. The good news I think is that they're usually mid round guys, who need a couple years to really learn the game and catch up to the speed, like we're seeing Holcomb doing this year. The second round guys seem to be good pretty quick though.

Mamu from Wyoming is who I'd love to see us grab in the 3rd. 

• Like 3

My gut is the same especially if he has a good Senior Bowl.  He's not my favorite QB prospect in the draft, that would be Corral.  But Pickett to me comes off as a safe feeling pick.  He has good size.  Good personality.  Decent accuracy.    I have to still watch him more.  I've seen plenty of games of his but I got to do a deeper dive still.

If I had to bet right now, I think Corral and Pickett go top 10 but probably not top 5 unless Pickett burns up the Senior Bowl.

8 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I really feel like Willis is closest comp to a cam that Ron can get...and would be perfect for them both

Why would that concern a defensive coach? 

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My gut is the same especially if he has a good Senior Bowl.  He's not my favorite QB prospect in the draft, that would be Corral.  But Pickett to me comes off as a safe feeling pick.  He has good size.  Good personality.  Decent accuracy.    I have to still watch him more.  I've seen plenty of games of his but I got to do a deeper dive still.

If I had to bet right now, I think Corral and Pickett go top 10 but probably not top 5 unless Pickett burns up the Senior Bowl.

His accuracy is more than decent IMO and while he doesn’t have Corrals arm he’s actually better throwing on the run. I don’t know if he has a baseball background but on his highlight reels there are some throws where it looks like that’s the case. All said and done he might be the first QB off the board. 

Edited by Berggy9598

34 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Why would that concern a defensive coach? 

His accuracy is more than decent IMO and while he doesn’t have Corrals arm he’s actually better throwing on the run. I don’t know if he has a baseball background but on his highlight reels there are some throws where it looks like that’s the case. All said and done he might be the first QB off the board. 

I couldn’t disagree more about Pickett being the better thrower on the run.  Pickett IMO is good throwing on the move, Corral to my eyes is a clear peg better. 

Much of Corral’s game is about making plays on the move whether it’s via taking off via RPOs, various rollouts, boots, etc. That’s his bread and butter IMO. He is just about always on the move.  That’s a big part of his game.

He is the only QB I’ve watched in this group who reminds me of Mac Jones in the context of being really good at manipulating safeties with his eyes and body language. I would tout Mac over and over again for that quality in the previous draft thread. Corral IMO isn’t on his level in that department but he’s close.

I got to watch Pickett some more but I’ve seen enough that for me I’d take Corral over him without blinking.  My issue with Pickett is he’s a jack of many trades but what is his special super power?  Some say accuracy but I am not so sure. It’s much easier for me to see Corral’s superpowers. But that’s just obviously opinion.

I am confident enough right now to stick my neck out for Corral. I am trying to fall for some other prospects. I’ve tried to fall for Pickett and I like him but haven’t talked myself into loving him but maybe I will if he kills it in the Senior Bowl. I am big on intangibles so I am curious to hear about the reports about Pickett in Mobile.

16 minutes ago, duffy said:

That's a leader. I like him. 

Yeah I am sold on Corral. As far as intangibles go, he is supposedly an emotional/fiery leader. Hard worker. Baller.

He plays with similar moxie and emotion to ironically Heinicke. 

• Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I couldn’t disagree more about Pickett being the better thrower on the run.  Pickett IMO is good throwing on the move, Corral to my eyes is a clear peg better. 

Much of Corral’s game is about making plays on the move whether it’s via taking off via RPOs, various rollouts, boots, etc. That’s his bread and butter IMO. He is just about always on the move.  That’s a big part of his game.

He is the only QB I’ve watched in this group who reminds me of Mac Jones in the context of being really good at manipulating safeties with his eyes and body language. I would tout Mac over and over again for that quality in the previous draft thread. Corral IMO isn’t on his level in that department but he’s close.

I got to watch Pickett some more but I’ve seen enough that for me I’d take Corral over him without blinking.  My issue with Pickett is he’s a jack of many trades but what is his special super power?  Some say accuracy but I am not so sure. It’s much easier for me to see Corral’s superpowers. But that’s just obviously opinion.

I am confident enough right now to stick my neck out for Corral. I am trying to fall for some other prospects. I’ve tried to fall for Pickett and I like him but haven’t talked myself into loving him but maybe I will if he kills it in the Senior Bowl. I am big on intangibles so I am curious to hear about the reports about Pickett in Mobile.

Yeah I am sold on Corral. As far as intangibles go, he is supposedly an emotional/fiery leader. Hard worker. Baller.

He plays with similar moxie and emotion to ironically Heinicke. 

Watch the throws at 0:26, 2:24, 3:30, 5:25, 6:57 and 7:46. The throw where he rolls to his left is especially impressive, but the throwing motion and release is smooth and sudden, especially considering those are off script throws rather than manufactured throws. If Pickett’s arm was a little bit stronger they’d be neck and neck. I really like the progression in Corral’s game from last season to this season. His feet were an eye sore and that as well as decision making is where he’s made his biggest jump, but there were still moments this season where he’s looked unpolished, and needed quite a few manufactured throws. If I had to bet Id still say Corral is the first QB off the board because you can see he’s a worker when you put his 20 and 21 film side by side and he has all the physical tools, but Pickett is a much better prospect than he gets credit for. The intangibles and moxy are right there with him too. 

Pickett has some noisy feet in the pocket.  His arm isn't that strong.  He supposedly has unprecedented tiny hands.  He's a 12th year senior who wasn't any good before this year.  And that fake slide was such a wussy move that I am still annoyed by it.  He is as warty a QB1 prospect as I can remember, and this is clearly a buyer beware QB class.  But his film from this season is by far the best of any of the prospects.  He read coverages better and played with anticipation in a way the other prospects didn't, and the contrast to Howell's film in particular is really stark in this regard.  He had a special connection with Addison and he was a genuine playmaker.  He played like a poor man's Joe Burrow this season, and if he had been anywhere near this good in the previous two seasons when Pitt had a defense, they might have made some waves.

If you think past level of play with a high degree of excellence in execution is the most translatable and predictive NFL resume section like it was with Mac Jones and Joe Burrow, then Pickett is the QB1.  But Herbert and Allen also point to a different path to NFL success.

19 hours ago, method man said:

Too many QB needy teams for no QBs to go top 10

But there just aren't any top ten prospects at the position this year.  The top defenders and OLs + Drake London are such better bets, combined with the relatively cheap cost of trading for a QB in the late teens and 20s--presumably where there will be lots of supply--will cause the QB run to start late this year IMO.  I think most of the QB hungry teams drafting early will pass on the position early and they either already have second first rounders to maneuver with, or they'll trade back into the first after the top shelf of defensive and WR prospects gets picked and the teams in that range look to move down.

• Like 1

I cant get past Picketts hand size and I don't want to endure the Willis growing pains. Howell and Corral seem like the safest bet. I like Ridder as a high upside gamble. Strong and Zappe maybe. I really hope we double dip and take a QB later in the draft also. I'd like a completely different QB room.

8 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Watch the throws at 0:26, 2:24, 3:30, 5:25, 6:57 and 7:46. The throw where he rolls to his left is especially impressive, but the throwing motion and release is smooth and sudden, especially considering those are off script throws rather than manufactured throws. If Pickett’s arm was a little bit stronger they’d be neck and neck. I really like the progression in Corral’s game from last season to this season. His feet were an eye sore and that as well as decision making is where he’s made his biggest jump, but there were still moments this season where he’s looked unpolished, and needed quite a few manufactured throws. If I had to bet Id still say Corral is the first QB off the board because you can see he’s a worker when you put his 20 and 21 film side by side and he has all the physical tools, but Pickett is a much better prospect than he gets credit for. The intangibles and moxy are right there with him too. 

I have a few exercises that I like to do before coming up with my own definitive opinion on a QB that I end up riding with for better or worse.  I am not quite there yet on Pickett, I'll get to it.  Corral passed that test for me. 

As for progress from the previous year, I think the dude who had the longer climb to go was Pickett.  Pickett was projected to be a mid rounder if he came out in 2021.   In fact one of the concerns about him is that he's been really good just one season.  We've seen one off QBs in the pros fall back to earth.  Heck we've seen it college with dudes like Matt Barkley, Jake Locker, etc.

I happened to watch a lot of Corral's games from 2020 because I was intrigued by Ole Miss' playmakers especially Elijah Moore.  In doing so, I commented actually on Corral several times on the previous draft thread.  Corral was fun, ballsy, electric at times but his decision making was horrendous at times.    He's really fixed that.  He's been much more careful with the ball.  But for me I could see he was really talented dude and commented on it based on his 2020 tape.    He had over 70% completiion rate, just short of 30 TDs in 2020.  He looked like a potential stud if he could fix his decision making and becoming smarter with the ball. 

My main concerns about him are his offense is really heavily RPO driven, in the NFL he'd have to learn to play the progression game a bit differently.  And his YOLO way of playing where he runs with abandon and is willing to take a hit remind me some of my concerns with RG3 on that front -- coupled with his small frame ala RG3, too.

But overall, I am definitely sold.  Among other things, I am a sucker for QBs who are skilled with using body language to manipulate defenses.  i am big into misdirection -- play action, etc.  And Jones hit me hard on that front last year and I commented on it quite a bit at the time.  Corral is almost as good at it IMO and I've commented on it all season.  This article below that came out this week actually ironically hits that point a little.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/nfl-draft-matt-corral-is-a-master-of-manipulation

NFL Draft: Matt Corral is a Master of Manipulation

The Ole Miss leader may be the first quarterback off the board, and his ability to manipulate defenses at all three levels is a special skill.

If you're around this kid, he is a special person, kid, leader. I just love being around him." Those are the words Ole Miss Head Coach Lane Kiffin chose to describe star quarterback Matt Corral, and it's those intangible qualities that will entice NFL teams into believing in him as their franchise leader.

READ MATT CORRAL'S SCOUTING REPORT HERE

When analyzing Corral's 2022 NFL Draft stock, you must begin with his leadership and competitive qualities. Corral does the little things like organizing 5:30 a.m. practices for the quarterback group before team practice even starts. He also rallies the team when adversity strikes, like during his locker room speech to refocus his teammates during a delay in their game against Tennessee. Additionally, Corral displays his elite competitive toughness, fighting through a left ankle injury for a month and a half and continuing to play for his teammates because "Those guys definitely deserve something from me."

....Furthermore, despite his injury, missing two of his three starting receivers, the top two tight ends on Ole Miss' depth chart and having a game of musical chairs on the offensive line, Corral has produced impressive numbers: 3,333 passing yards, 68% completion percentage and 20 touchdown passes.

This ability to elevate lesser talent is rare for NFL quarterbacks, let alone college quarterbacks and Corral should be lauded for his strong season. He has many strengths as a passer that will benefit his transition to the NFL: strong arm to make all the throws, pocket presence and management, processing defenses post-snap, and can manipulate defenses at all three levels that make him unique.

This trait is a special one and deserves to be highlighted. Let's start with Corral's manipulation in the quick game, where Lane Kiffin installed his bread and butter RPO (run-pass option) concepts to put defenses in assignment conflicts and gain easy yardage. Corral is like a perfectly programmed robot when making these reads, and he is masterful at executing the simple play.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Corral, Howell are the two guys I want most at QB. If they are there when we pick I'd be ecstatic. Just don't see it. 

Corral might be gone.  Howell might be there, might not but I bet at a minimum he's within reach of a cheapish trade up. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Willis’s upside intrigues me but itd be like Trey Lance all over again and hed have to sit for a while

Just don't trust Willis' actual QB ability. I think Heinicke is better at the little things that go unnoticed but matter (playfakes, command). Obviously Willis is FAR superior in arm strength and athletic ability.

I'm not saying Willis won't and can't be successful in the League. He will be. I just don't like it for DC at the moment. 

If we draft a QB that clearly needs to sit for a year or two and then we are 3 games in and Heinicke starts launching turkeys to the opposition and taking unnecessary sacks again, which he absolutely will, idiots like me will be flipping out about him riding the bench. We have zero options for an actual starter at the most important position, but we have weapons, good TEs, a running game, great Oline and a solid defense to keep the score low. It's the perfect place to drop "the right" rookie QB into. We've got the same blueprint that the Pats used this year, so getting a Howell or Strong makes sense for us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we draft a QB that clearly needs to sit for a year or two and then we are 3 games in and Heinicke starts launching turkeys to the opposition and taking unnecessary sacks again, which he absolutely will, idiots like me will be flipping out about him riding the bench. We have zero options for an actual starter at the most important position, but we have weapons, good TEs, a running game, great Oline and a solid defense to keep the score low. It's the perfect place to drop "the right" rookie QB into. We've got the same blueprint that the Pats used this year, so getting a Howell or Strong makes sense for us.

If were the Redwolves, Howell has to be the pick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do worry about this guy's build though.  He's gonna have to put on some serious muscle to last.  How will that affect his game?

I also worry about his injury history.  

All that said, I still take him in a trade up (within reason), which we are going to have to do, i believe, if we really want our top prospects at QB.