Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

Remaining cheap at the QB spot while continuing to hunt for the elite guy or competent young QB on a rookie deal is the way to go. 

Draft a rookie QB, add Trubisky or Mariota, and bring Heineke back; have all compete. 

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Oline the first 7-10 weeks seemed to be performing at higher level than the last 4-6 games. 

Any chance they have ranking for the last 6 games?

7 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

We did actually win 4 games against teams that scored more than 17 points...which only happened once in the prior three seasons.  Heinicke is a guy you want on your roster.  He can come in and win games for you.  He's actually exactly what many people said early on he was...a younger more mobile Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

Honestly, I think this points more to just how abysmal our offensive production has been for several years vs us actually being a good offensive team, which we're clearly not. If you've been served literal turd sandwiches for years and you suddenly get an expired roast beef on moldy bread, you'll think you're in heaven. That doesn't mean that the moldy roast beef sandwich is actually any good.

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Remaining cheap at the QB spot while continuing to hunt for the elite guy or competent young QB on a rookie deal is the way to go. 

Draft a rookie QB, add Trubisky or Mariota, and bring Heineke back; have all compete. 

The Oline the first 7-10 weeks seemed to be performing at higher level than the last 4-6 games. 

Any chance they have ranking for the last 6 games?

If you draft a QB in the 1st round he's got to be considered your guy. Sure, if he's very raw he might have to sit a year, but you want to put your full support behind him. IMO picking up someone like Mariota or Trubisky doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you're grabbing a QB in the 1st.

Both of them are younger guys who have some talent but who aren't really head and shoulders improvements over Heinicke (or probably Allen either). Plus, if those guys do hit FA they'll probably be a couple of the more sought after guys so they'd probably at least try to go somewhere where they'd have a chance to be "the guy" going forward...not a bridge for a rookie. It's unfortunate that Fitz got injured because he's a great guy to have as a bridge QB.

As far as the OL stuff, I'm not sure exactly how many weeks that infographic takes into account, but on their website PFF has the WFT OL graded as #6 overall after week 15. I'd assume that graphic includes the same numbers, but I can't know for sure.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Honestly, I think this points more to just how abysmal our offensive production has been for several years vs us actually being a good offensive team, which we're clearly not. If you've been served literal turd sandwiches for years and you suddenly get an expired roast beef on moldy bread, you'll think you're in heaven. That doesn't mean that the moldy roast beef sandwich is actually any good.

If you draft a QB in the 1st round he's got to be considered your guy. Sure, if he's very raw he might have to sit a year, but you want to put your full support behind him. IMO picking up someone like Mariota or Trubisky doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you're grabbing a QB in the 1st.

Both of them are younger guys who have some talent but who aren't really head and shoulders improvements over Heinicke (or probably Allen either). Plus, if those guys do hit FA they'll probably be a couple of the more sought after guys so they'd probably at least try to go somewhere where they'd have a chance to be "the guy" going forward...not a bridge for a rookie. It's unfortunate that Fitz got injured because he's a great guy to have as a bridge QB.

As far as the OL stuff, I'm not sure exactly how many weeks that infographic takes into account, but on their website PFF has the WFT OL graded as #6 overall after week 15. I'd assume that graphic includes the same numbers, but I can't know for sure.

Don't bridge give Marrota or Trubisky the year if they don't work out draft a qb next year. 

24 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Don't bridge give Marrota or Trubisky the year if they don't work out draft a qb next year. 

I think Rivera and the FO are going to go hard for a QB this offseason. They can't afford to keep kicking the can down the road and/or trying to pick up other teams' castoffs and hoping we can turn water into wine...basically exactly what Mariota or Trubisky are.

Both of them are upgrades to Heinicke IMO, but only very modest ones. I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that they won't suddenly become top QBs with us. So we'll be stuck right back in QB purgatory. Ron also knows that the clock is ticking for him as well.

So I think the more likely scenario is we spend a 1st on a QB as our guy, or we go hard in a trade for someone like Carr (Wilson, Watson and Rodgers aren't coming here so we might as well just forget that pipe dream.)

Edited by mistertim

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think Rivera and the FO are going to go hard for a QB this offseason. They can't afford to keep kicking the can down the road and/or trying to pick up other teams' castoffs and hoping we can turn water into wine...basically exactly what Mariota or Trubisky are.

Both of them are upgrades to Heinicke IMO, but only very modest ones. I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that they won't suddenly become top QBs with us. So we'll be stuck right back in QB purgatory. Ron also knows that the clock is ticking for him as well.

So I think the more likely scenario is we spend a 1st on a QB as our guy, or we go hard in a trade for someone like Carr (Wilson, Watson and Rodgers aren't coming here so we might as well just forget that pipe dream.)

If the dolphins don't want him where do you think Watson ends up. If he ends up on the dolphins do we go after Tua 

19 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If the dolphins don't want him where do you think Watson ends up. If he ends up on the dolphins do we go after Tua 

If the Phins don't want Watson for whatever reason, he'll go elsewhere...and that elsewhere won't be here. He has a no-trade clause in his contract so he basically gets veto power over any trade. There were reported short lists released a while back for where Watson and Wilson would be good with getting traded to and WFT was definitely not on either of them.

As far as Tua I'm pretty "meh" on him and have been since college. Very fun to watch in college, but injury prone, and after watching him this season it's pretty apparent that his most recent major injury from college has impacted him. He's not the same guy. I wouldn't really trade much for him. I'd probably take a flyer for a 4th or so but I'm assuming MIami will be asking for more.

IMO Tua just wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to warrant anything higher than a 4th or 3rd. He's been too mediocre so far and he has a very concerning injury history, which started all the way back in high school and now continues up into the NFL. Pass.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If the Phins don't want Watson for whatever reason, he'll go elsewhere...and that elsewhere won't be here. He has a no-trade clause in his contract so he basically gets veto power over any trade. There were reported short lists released a while back for where Watson and Wilson would be good with getting traded to and WFT was definitely not on either of them.

As far as Tua I'm pretty "meh" on him and have been since college. Very fun to watch in college, but injury prone, and after watching him this season it's pretty apparent that his most recent major injury from college has impacted him. He's not the same guy. I wouldn't really trade much for him. I'd probably take a flyer for a 4th or so but I'm assuming MIami will be asking for more.

IMO Tua just wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to warrant anything higher than a 4th or 3rd. He's been too mediocre so far and he has a very concerning injury history, which started all the way back in high school and now continues up into the NFL. Pass.

I think a third gets tua. That is not much and is cheap. A big thing for us is the QB with the no trade will not come here. We can't get Wilson or Watson we need to see where they end up. 

If depending on where they go we may be able to get someone we did not think was available.

8 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think a third gets tua. That is not much and is cheap. A big thing for us is the QB with the no trade will not come here. We can't get Wilson or Watson we need to see where they end up. 

If depending on where they go we may be able to get someone we did not think was available.

I guess if there weren't really any other choices, I would probably be ok with Tua, but only if the coaching staff and FO truly believed he was the guy and there weren't really other better options. If Carr sticks in LV (which is increasingly likely) and the FO/coaches don't really like any of the big name QBs coming out in the draft, I suppose I could see them taking a flyer on Tua, as long as it's not too expensive as far as picks.

But I still have a hunch that he'd be here for a couple years and do nothing, or get injured multiple times and then finally let go. And then we start all over again (though probably with a different HC at that point...if they swung and missed on Tua I think that might be the end of Ron here.

Edited by mistertim

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I guess if there weren't really any other choices, I would probably be ok with Tua, but only if the coaching staff and FO truly believed he was the guy and there weren't really other better options. If Carr sticks in LV (which is increasingly likely) and the FO/coaches don't really like any of the big name QBs coming out in the draft, I suppose I could see them taking a flyer on Tua, as long as it's not too expensive as far as picks.

But I still have a hung that he'd be here for a couple years and do nothing. Or get injured. 

If they don't get this right we will be bad next year.

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If they don't get this right we will be bad next year.

Yeah I think Ron and the FO know that they have a pretty short leash as far as the QB position goes. Problem is there are only so many options. Wilson, Watson, and Rodgers aren't coming here. Carr is increasingly unlikely to be on the trade block.

Pretty much any FA is likely to be just another retread who failed on other teams...these reclamation projects pretty much never work unless the new team has an amazing cast (ala Derrick Henry with the Titans) or the QB in question had serious concerns (ala Brees coming off of an injured throwing shoulder before the Saints signed him).

Most of those at least "decent" FA retreads are probably better than Heinicke and Allen but are unlikely to be better enough to warrant huge contracts.

The other option is the draft where at least it seems as though we'll possibly have a top 10 pick. But that's moot if the coaching staff aren't really eamored with any of the QBs coming out.

1 minute ago, zskins said:

@Renegade7 :rofl89:

Okay we can sign Fitz again for another year.... round 2. :D

Oh HELL no! :ols:

This thread is making me want to hibernate until the draft.  I see a lot of never gonna happen, hope it doesn't happen, and we are screwed if it does happen.

I might be able to accept not winning next season while developing a QB and the roster, I've now backtracked on wanting Taylor to be the bridge guy after watching him get curb stomped by Dallas not once but twice.

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I think Ron and the FO know that they have a pretty short leash as far as the QB position goes. Problem is there are only so many options. Wilson, Watson, and Rodgers aren't coming here. Carr is increasingly unlikely to be on the trade block.

Pretty much any FA is likely to be just another retread who failed on other teams...these reclamation projects pretty much never work unless the new team has an amazing cast (ala Derrick Henry with the Titans) or the QB in question had serious concerns (ala Brees coming off of an injured throwing shoulder before the Saints signed him).

Most of those at least "decent" FA retreads are probably better than Heinicke and Allen but are unlikely to be better enough to warrant huge contracts.

The other option is the draft where at least it seems as though we'll possibly have a top 10 pick. But that's moot if the coaching staff aren't really eamored with any of the QBs coming out.

Drafting a Qb in first round is probably under 50 precent success. Example Baker Mayfield draft

Baker Mayfield- been ok

Sam Darnold-Not Good

Josh Rosen -Bust

Josh Allen- Great Pick

Lamer Jackson-Great pick

It just a high Chace of missing on the pick. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Drafting a Qb in first round is probably under 50 precent success. Example Baker Mayfield draft

Baker Mayfield- been ok

Sam Darnold-Not Good

Josh Rosen -Bust

Josh Allen- Great Pick

Lamer Jackson-Great pick

I dont like this logic, only need to be right once, then you have a franchise QB on a rookie contract, which is like the best option possible.

11 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Baker Mayfield- been ok

Sam Darnold-Not Good

Josh Rosen -Bust

Josh Allen- Great Pick

Lamer Jackson-Great pick

By this logic should the Chiefs have not picked Mahomes? Should the Packers not have picked Rodgers? The Steelers not have picked Big Ben? Bills not have picked Allen?

What exactly do you propose as a solution then?

Drafting a QB in the first round certainly is risky and as you said at best a 50% success rate. But the success rate of QBs drafted after the first round is absolutely abysmal. 

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

By this logic should the Chiefs have not picked Mahomes? Should the Packers not have picked Rodgers? The Steelers not have picked Big Ben? Bills not have picked Allen?

What exactly do you propose as a solution then?

Drafting a QB in the first round certainly is risky and as you said at best a 50% success rate. But the success rate of QBs drafted after the first round is absolutely abysmal. 

If they truly like one of these guys take him but expect to be about what we were this year. If there is no QB this year we think can be the guy don't pick one. Sign Trubisky or Marrota hope for a Ryan Tanahill situation.

Don't just take a guy to have a guy. Make sure it's the guy. Next year there a couple guy who are suppose to be superstars. Strength the other spots. We all know they are desperate to fill this especially with the rebranding. 

Edited by Redskins 2021

12 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If they truly like one of these guys take him but expect to be about what we were this year. If there is no QB this year we think can be the guy don't pick one. Sign Trubisky or Marrota hope for a Ryan Tanahill situation.

Don't just take a guy to have a guy. Make sure it's the guy. Next year there a couple guy who are suppose to be superstars. Strength the other spots. We all know they are desperate to fill this especially with the rebranding. 

Nobody knows whether a QB is going to be a star or a bust, otherwise there'd be no such things as professional scouts. So yeah I agree that the coaching staff should really like the QB but it's almost impossible to say whether he'll work out or not. A lot of it is a crap shoot.

Trubisky and Mariota are the ultimate "meh" QBs who will likely elevate us up to being a perennial 9-8 or 8-9 team. Woohoo, more mediocrity. That also means that we won't be drafting anywhere close to high enough to get one of those potential superstars in the 2023 draft that you mentioned.

And the only way we end up with a Ryan Tannehill situation is if we also somehow happen to find an unstoppable All Pro RB like Derrick Henry to go along with him. Tannehill was always a "ok" QB but once he wound up on a team with Henry he moved up into closer of a top 10 role.

So if you have the inside track on the next unstoppable 6'3 240lb All Pro running back, definitely let the WFT coaching staff know.

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Nobody knows whether a QB is going to be a star or a bust, otherwise there'd be no such things as professional scouts. So yeah I agree that the coaching staff should really like the QB but it's almost impossible to say whether he'll work out or not. A lot of it is a crap shoot.

Trubisky and Mariota are the ultimate "meh" QBs who will likely elevate us up to being a perennial 9-8 or 8-9 team. Woohoo, more mediocrity. That also means that we won't be drafting anywhere close to high enough to get one of those potential superstars in the 2023 draft that you mentioned.

And the only way we end up with a Ryan Tannehill situation is if we also somehow happen to find an unstoppable All Pro RB like Derrick Henry to go along with him. Tannehill was always a "ok" QB but once he wound up on a team with Henry he moved up into closer of a top 10 role.

So if you have the inside track on the next unstoppable 6'3 240lb All Pro running back, definitely let the WFT coaching staff know.

The Titans are the team we should try to be. There all pro running back been out nine weeks. They have only lost 3 games without him. Tanahill been very good and they will be the number one seed in afc. Henry been out 8 or 9 weeks and they are still going to be the 1 seed it's more then just Henry. Tanahill a very very good QB. That the type of QB everyone talks about we need. A borderline top 10 who does not kill the cap.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Important question is how many times have we had the chance to draft a franchise QB in the last 20 years?

The Year after we took Haskins 

Edited by Redskins 2021

22 minutes ago, zskins said:

Haskins was the reason we went Chase and not back to back QB like AZ did. 

Good point we picked second . From what I read Haskins was not going to work out as we released him the next season.We never should have drafted Haskins and most people on here agreed.

Arizona took Josh Rosen and next season did not think twice about taking Kyle Murry. I think they even got a second round pick for rosen. It just constant mistakes that this organization makes. What ever can go wrong will. The Year we let Kirk Cousin walk for nothing. 49ers would have gave us two first round picks we could have had Josh Allen. 

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1