Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Usually when a QB has too weak of an arm, it results in symptoms like, him throwing INT's.

Or a poor completion percentage. Or a lot of checkdowns.

But those are not a problem for him.

He throws darts in tight places. Can throw some decent long balls. He has a good completion pctg, and doesn't throw a lot of picks.

So his "weak arm" seems to be very overstated.

This is what I'm thinking too. As well, he attempts maybe not deep balls but certainly mid range balls that are completed. Heck with some of the previous QBs we've had (Smith, Cousins, Brunell, Campbell) we had to beg for even those shots. And I'll say that the only WR that really is underperforming with Heinicke is Brown. But is that because he's not that good, because he's a rookie still trying to learn it because what he does best (the 9 route) is what Heinicke doesn't throw the best? I don't know, but I do think this offense could be moving well with Sims, Miline, Humphres, Harmon and maybe AGG playing with TMac. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Player profiler says Heinicke has a deep attempt of 4.4 per game (#10 in league), 1286 air yards (16th in league), 15 money throws (17th) , 8.2 air yards per attempt (15th)

And if you look at those 4 categories and his rankings - his average ranking overall (the 4 combined), is 14th in the League.

Not too shabby after 9 starts in the league (since the time he was given a starting job).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And if you look at those 4 categories and his rankings - his average ranking overall (the 4 combined), is 14th in the League.

Not too shabby after 9 starts in the league (since the time he was given a starting job).

Yeah. I'm on my phone so I can't give a complete picture like I'd like. It's not all glossy but it's not all gloom and doom. And my whole thing is that apart from RG3, almost none of our other QBs would ever throw it up like this.  

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

😂 remember when RG3 was here, one of things the coaching staff and the defense hated was he would pull the ball down and run through the defense in practice instead of trying to work on his reads.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zskins said:

He has thrown 3 40+ yarders compared to your strong arm Kirk's 5. 

I'm not a Kurt guy and I didn't say he can't throw the ball that far. I'm saying he can't throw an accurate strike that far, but he can lob it down there. There is zero accuracy on his deep passes. Zero. Looks like a flying chicken.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not a Kurt guy and I didn't say he can't throw the ball that far. I'm saying he can't throw an accurate strike that far, but he can lob it down there. There is zero accuracy on his deep passes. Zero. Looks like a flying chicken.

Let me get my calculator out and let's see 1+1+1=3. Three passes thrown over 40+ yards and all of them caught accurately. So if my math is correct, then 3 > 0. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Terry is awesome. 

But, Taylor gives the chance to Terry to haul it in. So Taylor knows more about Terry than you do. 

"I see Terry 1-on-1, and I’ve said it numerous times, when you see him 1-on-1, you give him a shot," Heinicke said. "It’s because of the catch he got today. He continues to make plays and you just want to keep giving him shots."

(by the way no flying ducks and chickens here ;) )

Heinicke threw the ball in a place only McLaurin could catch it, and the third-year receiver hauled in the pass despite blatant defensive pass interference.

"That play wasn’t really supposed to go to him," Heinicke said. "It was a bit of a decoy guy and it was supposed to go to the next guy. He crossed that safety space and he was open so I gave him a shot and again, he continues to make plays and I’m glad that he’s on our team."

"This is my third year, one of my goals this year was to be a better contested-ball catcher," McLaurin said. "When you have those opportunities with the ball in the air and you can come down with them, it just gives a lot of energy and confidence to your quarterback, your offense and your team. I think it’s something I’m always constantly working on."

"I just try to put myself in a position to make those plays," McLaurin said. "Be aggressive with my hands, trust them and come down with the play. It’s exciting and I just hope I can continue to put the work in to make sure that it keeps continuing."

Edited by zskins
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, zskins said:

But, Taylor gives the chance to Terry to haul it in. So Taylor knows more about Terry than you do. 

"I see Terry 1-on-1, and I’ve said it numerous times, when you see him 1-on-1, you give him a shot," Heinicke said. "It’s because of the catch he got today. He continues to make plays and you just want to keep giving him shots."

(by the way no flying ducks and chickens here ;) )

Heinicke threw the ball in a place only McLaurin could catch it, and the third-year receiver hauled in the pass despite blatant defensive pass interference.

"That play wasn’t really supposed to go to him," Heinicke said. "It was a bit of a decoy guy and it was supposed to go to the next guy. He crossed that safety space and he was open so I gave him a shot and again, he continues to make plays and I’m glad that he’s on our team."

"This is my third year, one of my goals this year was to be a better contested-ball catcher," McLaurin said. "When you have those opportunities with the ball in the air and you can come down with them, it just gives a lot of energy and confidence to your quarterback, your offense and your team. I think it’s something I’m always constantly working on."

"I just try to put myself in a position to make those plays," McLaurin said. "Be aggressive with my hands, trust them and come down with the play. It’s exciting and I just hope I can continue to put the work in to make sure that it keeps continuing."

That first pass is exactly what I'm talking about. He didn't throw a perfect pass that only Terry could catch. Terry caught a flying chicken. Yes chickens fly. They're everywhere and wild here and sleep in trees. It's awkward and slow. Terry sees that chicken flying and is able to slow down and make a leaping catch. You make it sound like he hit him in stride. If the corner turned his head, he could of had an interception, but he was focused on Terry beating him deep.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, zskins said:

"When you have those opportunities with the ball in the air and you can come down with them, it just gives a lot of energy and confidence to your quarterback, your offense and your team."

That's pretty cool that one of Terry's priorities is to build his quarterback's confidence, not just his own.

It shows what an incredibly selfless player Terry is.

And another indication of the excellent bond between Terry and Taylor.

Terry & Taylor

T n' T

That's Dynamite !

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That first pass is exactly what I'm talking about. He didn't throw a perfect pass that only Terry could catch. Terry caught a flying chicken. Yes chickens fly. They're everywhere and wild here and sleep in trees. It's awkward and slow. Terry sees that chicken flying and is able to slow down and make a leaping catch. You make it sound like he hit him in stride. If the corner turned his head, he could of had an interception, but he was focused on Terry beating him deep.

Terry turned around first and saw the ball coming and made the necessary adjustment. The DB also turned around but Terry got in front of the DB and caught the ball instead. So there goes your theory about if the DB had turned around. You should really watch these bang bang plays in slow motion if you want to make more of an  informed opinion.

So Taylor mis-judged where Terry was going to be and under threw instead. It was still a 39 yards completed pass on 2 and 9. But you can see whatever you think you are seeing if that makes you happy but chickens and ducks instead of real football stuff. 

Edited by zskins
  • Haha 1

You get an elite running game with Taylor.  With his smarts, innate abilities, and gamer skill set and efficiency, this offense will be hard to contain.   Taylor is a chain mover.   And, our run game is okay now.   I still think we could use another Dawg type back in rotation.  An addition.  Not to replace anyone.  Like a Hassan Haskins!   Wink.  In other words, I think we might be on to something.  As are the Eagles.  However, I think Taylor has a more deadly skill set than Hurts.  Hurts more feared running.  But Taylor is way better reading defenses and getting through  his reads quickly.  Meaning, he's a much better passer than Hurts.  Thus making us even more difficult to defend.   Think about it.  This offense hasn't even reached its ceiling.   I believe there's another level to it.

Edited by Newera
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I wonder if it's because he's good as 6 doing it. I haven't focused on this but since QBs give a better fake then others

I haven't paid attention to it, from what I recall he was OK at it.  Kirk IMO is killer at it.  It's part of what I liked about Mac Jones in college, he really sold it well.

The other part is if you committ enough to the run and are good at it, LBs might bite more and are more willing to take the bait. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't paid attention to it, from what I recall he was OK at it.  Kirk IMO is killer at it.  It's part of what I liked about Mac Jones in college, he really sold it well.

The other part is if you committ enough to the run and are good at it, LBs might bite more and are more willing to take the bait. 

I know Galdi stands by the metric that you don't need to be good at running the ball to be good at play action. 

This season has me feeling like 2015 in a lot of ways because the offense is moving the ball again. Tress Way is no longer our best weapon. I want to explain it, but I'm enjoying the ride

36 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I know Galdi stands by the metric that you don't need to be good at running the ball to be good at play action. 

This season has me feeling like 2015 in a lot of ways because the offense is moving the ball again. Tress Way is no longer our best weapon. I want to explain it, but I'm enjoying the ride

He quotes PFF on that.  It's true you "don't have to" to be good at play action.  But if you are really good at running the ball and you do it a lot it can certainly help convince the LBs and safeties to bite on it. 

I don't think its a coincidence that the run game has come alive and both Taylor and the defense has improved.  They've run decently 2 weeks in a two against good defenses.  Time of possession.  Grind down the opponents defense.  Play action.  It's all in symphony.  Some Marty ball. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1