Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Katherine Johnson of 'Hidden Figures' fame dies at 101

Corcaigh

RIP. An American legend.

"Ms. Johnson helped our nation enlarge the frontiers of space even as she made huge strides that also opened doors for women and people of color in the universal human quest to explore space. Her dedication and skill as a mathematician helped put humans on the moon and before that made it possible for our astronauts to take the first steps in space that we now follow on a journey to Mars. Her Presidential Medal of Freedom was a well-deserved recognition."

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-administrator-statement-on-passing-of-katherine-johnson

https://www.nasa.gov/content/katherine-johnson-biography

"In 1962, as NASA prepared for the orbital mission of John Glenn, Johnson was called upon to do the work that she would become most known for. The complexity of the orbital flight had required the construction of a worldwide communications network, linking tracking stations around the world to IBM computers in Washington, Cape Canaveral in Florida, and Bermuda. The computers had been programmed with the orbital equations that would control the trajectory of the capsule in Glenn’s Friendship 7 mission from liftoff to splashdown, but the astronauts were wary of putting their lives in the care of the electronic calculating machines, which were prone to hiccups and blackouts. As a part of the preflight checklist, Glenn asked engineers to “get the girl”—Johnson—to run the same numbers through the same equations that had been programmed into the computer, but by hand, on her desktop mechanical calculating machine.  “If she says they’re good,’” Katherine Johnson remembers the astronaut saying, “then I’m ready to go.” Glenn’s flight was a success, and marked a turning point in the competition between the United States and the Soviet Union in space."

I just saw this...RIP , Ma'am. 

My dad worked with the engineers who designed 39A & 39B, and he told me something I would always remember 

men only got to the moon because they believed in the "women on the team".

We're losing great people who can tell our history, first hand. When you have a few minutes to chat with one, take that time. 

Archived