Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Miscellaneous Humor Thread---vids/gifs/pics/jokes---no articles, no "owned" stuff

Jumbo

7 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

My roommate bought a new one 1981(?) and the mofo didn't have AC! LOL   About 6 months later I bought a new Datsun 310 GX (AM/FM, AC & floor mats) lol. He was mad jelly...

My first vehicle was a motorcycle, but after that experiment died...first car was a silver '84 Chevette that I bought right before I got out of the Navy in '86 (thought I could sell Rainbow vacuums in it  :ols:).  In Jax, FL with *you said it*, no A/C.  I dragged that car through everything and managed to get $3000 on the next trade.  :headbang:

• Thumb up 2

Had a friend once, owned, I think it was a Chevette. Was helping him diagnose a "won't crank" problem once. 

And I observed that on the side of the engine, pretty much from below cylinder head, to the oil pan, there was a steel plate.  Just a flat, rectangular, piece of steel, maybe 5 inches by 16 by 3/4.   Held to the side of the engine block by like 8 bolts.  

And he saw me looking at it, and the expression on my face.  And he told me "Oh.  That's where the other four cylinders go."  

Apparently, to create the four cylinder 160 (or whatever number it was) engine, Chevy takes a V-8 320, takes a saw, saws off one side of the V-8, and bolts that plate over the hole where the other four cylinders used to go.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Had a friend once, owned, I think it was a Chevette. Was helping him diagnose a "won't crank" problem once. 

And I observed that on the side of the engine, pretty much from below cylinder head, to the oil pan, there was a steel plate.  Just a flat, rectangular, piece of steel, maybe 5 inches by 16 by 3/4.   Held to the side of the engine block by like 8 bolts.  

And he saw me looking at it, and the expression on my face.  And he told me "Oh.  That's where the other four cylinders go."  

Apparently, to create the four cylinder 160 (or whatever number it was) engine, Chevy takes a V-8 320, takes a saw, saws off one side of the V-8, and bolts that plate over the hole where the other four cylinders used to go.  

That sounds like an urban legend.  if you ended up with 160 cubic inch engine, that would be about 2.6 liters.  Chevette engines were 1.4 or 1.6L.  Smaller displacement.  There is nothing about that I can find, and you can't just saw an engine in half, it's not that simple.

The Chevette Wiki page states this:

The Chevette itself was initially available only as a two-door hatchback with a 1.4-liter OHC or 1.6-liter OHC gasoline inline-four engine. Engines produced from 53 to 60 horsepower (40 to 45 kW) (subsequently 53 to 70 horsepower (40 to 52 kW)), driving the rear wheels. This engine is either a 1.4L Isuzu G140 or 1.6L G161Z. 

1 minute ago, China said:

That sounds like an urban legend.  if you ended up with 160 cubic inch engine, that would be about 2.6 liters.  Chevette engines were 1.4 or 1.6L.  Smaller displacement.  There is nothing about that I can find, and you can't just saw an engine in half, it's not that simple.

There's a reason why I intentionally stated I was pulling the number for the engine's size out of my ass.  :)

And I saw the engine with the plate covering one side of the engine block.  

And yes, I'm well aware that if you "remove half the engine block", there's lots of things need to be changed.  In fact, I'm well aware that there's things that have to be changed, that I'm unaware of.  

9 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

image.jpeg

Just the basicness of the ingredients, whitebread, american cheese, processed ham, with no condiments or anything else is grounds for divorce.  That's a toddler sandwich.

• Haha 2