Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Miscellaneous Humor Thread---vids/gifs/pics/jokes---no articles, no "owned" stuff

Jumbo

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not sure even doin it fast would matter, lolz...

Nope, because the faster motion would mean more pressure downward, farther into the pile.  I'd probably end up on my face. 

(Not to mention, I really need my feet and absolutely NO ONE sees them.) 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

RDT_20240109_2055352170320346606749722.jpg

RDT_20240109_2058466474715456442782376.jpg

OMG, that's so funny because that was my punishment, to be watching TV with the fam when all I wanted to do was have my headphones on listening to DC-101...and my mom knew it too.  (We giggle about it from time to time)  :ols:

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

OMG, that's so funny because that was my punishment, to be watching TV with the fam when all I wanted to do was have my headphones on listening to DC-101...and my mom knew it too.  (We giggle about it from time to time)  :ols:

When my Dad used to ground me he had to cut the power to my room with the circuit breaker because he knew I liked that **** otherwise : )

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm seriously considering amtracking instead for a little while...

They need to get whatever goin on with model and generation of plane figured TF out...

You think they’d be mad if you threw your little can of sprite out the gaping hole in the side of the air craft?

Just now, Destino said:

You think they’d be mad if you threw your little can of sprite out the gaping hole in the side of the air craft?

I don't understand, I saw a YouTube video that showed the whole front to tail middle of the plane detaching its wings and popping out multiple parachutes.

I donr understand why every plane doesn't do that now.  ****, do any?  Are we up against physics or money here?  Are they waiting for us to ask for it or something?

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't understand, I saw a YouTube video that showed the whole front to tail middle of the plane detaching its wings and popping out multiple parachutes.

I donr understand why every plane doesn't do that now.  ****, do any?  Are we up against physics or money here?  Are they waiting for us to ask for it or something?

Im sorry...are you suggesting that the appropriate response to developing a hole in the planes cabin is to jetison a perfectly good set of wings and engines and descend to the ground by parachute?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Im sorry...are you suggesting that the appropriate response to developing a hole in the planes cabin is to jetison a perfectly good set of wings and engines and descend to the ground by parachute?

I'm not convinced there's one solution that would make sure the plane doesnt kill everyone on it if something goes wrong 10,000 to 40,000 feet in the air.

I can see it working for even a couple of the matters raised about this plane alone:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeing-737-max-9-alaska-airlines-door-what-to-know/

It's 2024, how do we land a plane that ain't landing?  Can we do that or not?

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I can see it working 

Of course...because you haven't done any calculations.

(1) What is the mass of a 737 fuselage with passengers?

(2) How much surface area would a parachute have to have to reduce the terminal velocity of that weight to something not suicidal?

(3) What material would the parachute need to be made of to carry not just that weight, but the deceleration of the damn thing from airline speeds to the previously mentioned terminal velocity?

(4) What material would the lines need to be made of to support the same?

(5) How much more weight would (3) and (4) add to the flight, and reduce the carrying capacity by?

(6) How do we plan on deploying said parachute system without tangling while the airplane is in an uncontrolled descent? (we tend to more or less flatten out our army planes during heavy equipment drops before deploying humvees by parachute rather than dive bombing them in while spinning...though the latter would make for quite a show)

The answer, by my estimate, to (5) is 2-3 tons if you assume a canvas derivative, which may not satisfy (3)*.  Have no idea how to do (6)...a drogue line to stabilize would be as likely to tangle as the chute itself.  And we haven't even discussed the reduction in strength of the air frame yet.

I mean...its an idea.  Seems like a pretty elaborate (i.e. dumb) one for an almost non-existent failure mode...but it is an idea.

*Full disclosure: I did the calculation on the back of a rum bottle with a dry erase marker while eating ice cream...I might be off.  So feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

The main problem with the parachute idea is that most of the crashes are during take off and landing where there is limited time for a chute to perform. In addition, many over crashes are due to pilot disorientation / controlled flight into terrain. I can’t think of a crash in where a parachute would have been deployed effectively by the crew.