Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You can delete me now

purbeast

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

What does this mean, in non lawyer speak? It's a release form for someone who is mutually parting ways with a small startup.

There is also another one of these that is the other way around, for the other party to sign, so that the same agreement goes both ways.

Purbeast, legal advice on the internet are worth what you pay for them.  The person should meet with a few employment lawyers in the person's jurisdiction to get a clear understanding of the implication of the release in light of the existing agreements and relevant circumstances.  It would be impossible for even the attorneys on this board to provide any meaningful advice without knowing all the circumstances in play (and my general legal advice on the net is to go meet with a lawyer).  Lot of lawyers can give a brief free consultation to give a very generic overview of the situation if cost is a concern.  Or consultation fees often gets applied to the retainer if you end up retaining the attorney.

****NOT LEGAL ADVICE*****

Just an observation about how the law works, and totally unrelated to any specific legal question posed by the OP, any other person, animal, mineral or vegetable:

Contracts are invalid without both sides providing some kind of "consideration."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consideration

Both parties to a contract must give something of value (the consideration) in order for a contract to be valid.  Consideration could be, for example, $10.  That $10 could be in exchange for literally anything and could be unrelated to the underlying purpose of the contract.  Inclusion of a nominal amount just insures that the consideration requirement is met. 

Try and break it down first by sentences. Second, by the clauses separated by colons and semi colons if present. Third, by clauses separated by commas. Then by parts of speech.

One big paragraph is very intimidating!

I'm not a lawyer, I am a paralegal by degree, and contracts by profession. Breaking down paragraphs is the best way to try to figure out legal writing. Look up words on legal vocabulary websites for the ones you don't know.

59 minutes ago, tshile said:

I can tell you the last part means don’t post it on the internet 

But not binding unless signed.

they ain't no non-disclosure agreement till there is agreement.

In short they are asking you to give up all rights to claims related to employment and stock/retirement accounts.

pay the lady on your way out.

• TK locked this topic

Archived