Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Politics Thread

Cooked Crack

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

17?

Close 🤣

https://www.reuters.com/markets/emerging/argentina-2023-inflation-seen-185-cenbank-poll-2023-11-13/#:~:text=BUENOS AIRES%2C Nov 13 (Reuters,last month's estimate of 180.7%.

financial entities and local and international research centers, estimated monthly inflation will reach 11.5% in November.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alabama Dems urge Nick Saban to challenge Tuberville for Senate

The Alabama Democratic Party wants to trade out one college-football-coaching senator for another, signaling Wednesday that it would support a Senate campaign by retiring University of Alabama head coach Nick Saban against Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.).

On Wednesday, Saban announced he will retire after 17 seasons with the Crimson Tide, being remembered as the most decorated college football coach in the history of the sport.

The announcement sparked half-joking speculation that Saban could follow in Tuberville’s footsteps and also move into politics.

“Nick Saban for US Senate. Save us from Tommy Tuberville one more time,” Alabama political reporter Josh Moon said on X, formerly Twitter.

The state party agreed, adding “we officially second this.”

Saban has largely avoided politics throughout his career, but the coach has touted his childhood friendship with Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and endorsed his 2018 reelection campaign.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 3

Why The World Is Betting Against American Democracy

When I asked the European ambassador to talk to me about America’s deepening partisan divide, I expected a polite brushoff at best. Foreign diplomats are usually loath to discuss domestic U.S. politics.

Instead, the ambassador unloaded for an hour, warning that America’s poisonous politics are hurting its security, its economy, its friends and its standing as a pillar of democracy and global stability.

The U.S. is a “fat buffalo trying to take a nap” as hungry wolves approach, the envoy mused. “I can hear those Champagne bottle corks popping in Moscow — like it’s Christmas every ****ing day.”

As voters cast ballots in the Iowa caucuses Monday, many in the United States see this year’s presidential election as a test of American democracy. But, in a series of conversations with a dozen current and former diplomats, I sensed that to many of our friends abroad, the U.S. is already failing that test.

The diplomats are aghast that so many U.S. leaders let their zeal for partisan politics prevent the basic functions of government. It’s a major topic of conversations at their private dinners and gatherings. Many of those I talked to were granted anonymity to be as candid with me as they are with each other.

For example, one former Arab ambassador who was posted in the U.S. during both Republican and Democratic administrations told me American politics have become so unhealthy that he’d turn down a chance to return.

“I don’t know if in the coming years people will be looking at the United States as a model for democracy,” a second Arab diplomat warned.

• Sad 1

Americans 'Suffering' at Rate Rarely Reached

Americans are "suffering" at a level that has rarely been seen, according to a new survey.

The percentage of Americans estimated to be "suffering" was 4.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2023, according to the Gallup National Health and Well-Being Index.

It was the fifth time in six quarters since the second quarter of 2022 that the number of Americans who evaluated their lives poorly topped 4 percent—a level that has only rarely been reached since 2008.

The average rates in both 2022 and 2023 both exceed the levels of "suffering" measured during the Great Recession, according to Gallup.

Meanwhile, the percentage of Americans who evaluated their lives well enough to be considered "thriving" was 52.1 percent in 2023—beating only the Great Recession era between 2008 and 2009 (50.2 percent) and the first nine months of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 when it was 50.2 percent. Between 2015 and 2019, when there was steady economic growth, and in 2021, when the economy was recovering from the pandemic, more than 55 percent of Americans were "thriving."

The survey was conducted between November 30 and December 7, 2023 among 6,386 U.S. adults.

Gallup categorizes Americans as "thriving," "struggling" or "suffering" for its Life Evaluation Index based on how they rate their current and future lives on a ladder scale with steps numbered from zero to 10, using the Cantril Self-Anchoring Striving Scale.

Those who rate their current life a 7 or higher and their anticipated life in five years an 8 or higher are classified as thriving, while those who give their current life—as well as their next five years—a 4 or below are classified as suffering.

These respondents are more likely to report lacking food and shelter, more likely to have physical pain, stress, worry, sadness, and anger, according to Gallup.

I'm gonna say if people think they are suffering now moreso than people in the Great Depression, then these people don't understand true suffering.

16 minutes ago, China said:

Americans 'Suffering' at Rate Rarely Reached

Americans are "suffering" at a level that has rarely been seen, according to a new survey.

The percentage of Americans estimated to be "suffering" was 4.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2023, according to the Gallup National Health and Well-Being Index.

It was the fifth time in six quarters since the second quarter of 2022 that the number of Americans who evaluated their lives poorly topped 4 percent—a level that has only rarely been reached since 2008.

The average rates in both 2022 and 2023 both exceed the levels of "suffering" measured during the Great Recession, according to Gallup.

Meanwhile, the percentage of Americans who evaluated their lives well enough to be considered "thriving" was 52.1 percent in 2023—beating only the Great Recession era between 2008 and 2009 (50.2 percent) and the first nine months of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 when it was 50.2 percent. Between 2015 and 2019, when there was steady economic growth, and in 2021, when the economy was recovering from the pandemic, more than 55 percent of Americans were "thriving."

The survey was conducted between November 30 and December 7, 2023 among 6,386 U.S. adults.

Gallup categorizes Americans as "thriving," "struggling" or "suffering" for its Life Evaluation Index based on how they rate their current and future lives on a ladder scale with steps numbered from zero to 10, using the Cantril Self-Anchoring Striving Scale.

Those who rate their current life a 7 or higher and their anticipated life in five years an 8 or higher are classified as thriving, while those who give their current life—as well as their next five years—a 4 or below are classified as suffering.

These respondents are more likely to report lacking food and shelter, more likely to have physical pain, stress, worry, sadness, and anger, according to Gallup.

I'm gonna say if people think they are suffering now moreso than people in the Great Depression, then these people don't understand true suffering.

I see the tent cities and parking lots full of homeless that have sprung up in the last ten years or so, just in my little city in the middle of nowhere, and I have to think many, many people do understand.  Thank heavens I don't.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/24/argentina-strike-protest-javier-milei

Argentine demonstrators have staged their biggest-yet show of opposition to Javier Milei’s radical attempt to reshape the South American country with a nationwide strike that shuttered schools and businesses, grounded hundreds of flights, and saw tens of thousands of marchers hit the streets.

We are regressing as a society...

Missouri Rule Change Would Allow Senators to Challenge Each Other to a Duel

A member of the Missouri Senate has proposed a rule change that, if passed, would allow senators to challenge each other to a duel.

Senator Nick Schroer put a motion to the state's Senate to adopt a rule change allowing state politicians to settle grievances through physicality.

His proposed amendment was posted on X, formerly Twitter, by Missouri Senate Democrats. It read: "If a senator's honor is impugned by another senator to the point that it is beyond repair and in order for the offended senator to gain satisfaction, such senator may rectify the perceived insult to the senator's honor by challenging the offending senator to a duel.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I know two representatives who should be removed from the ballot for insurrection….

I know someone who's working really, really, hard to push an argument that he's not honest enough to actually state. 

33 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Knowingly allowing terrorists into our country would definitely be insurrection.

To confirm, isn't Hamas already labeled a terrorist organization, making this semi-repetitive?

You'd think other rules already on the books for USCIS would catch that, I know that was a question helping get my Wife a green card, "Are you a terrorist?" or "do you plan to do harm to the United States or affiliated with any organization that does?"

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

To confirm, isn't Hamas already labeled a terrorist organization, making this semi-repetitive?

You'd think other rules already on the books for USCIS would catch that, I know that was a question helping get my Wife a green card, "Are you a terrorist?" or "do you plan to do harm to the United States or affiliated with any organization that does?"

I don’t know about all that, but I do know who voted with the terrorists.

• Thumb down 1