Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: On YouTube’s Digital Playground, an Open Gate for Pedophiles

Cooked Crack

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

My daughter is 7 and wants a youtube channel.  She watches videos of other kids opening toys, playing with toys, playing video games etc etc......personally I have no idea why she finds that stuff entertaining, but I assume because it's kids doing the videos?  My main objection to creating a page for her isn't her age, it's that she really has no idea how to really make a video other than click record on the camera app....the videos would be a mess and I have no time or patience to edit them for her. 

Stories like the OP is what has me hesitant to throw her into that ring just yet. 

Does it have to be a public video?  If she just wants to have her videos on youtube for her to watch, you could upload it as private for her use only.  If she wants to share with her friends and whatnot, yeah, that's a tougher issue.  Sharing with the public? Yikes (btw, lot of those kids videos have full fledged production staff behind it)

I’m not sure how I feel about asking tech companies that track us to turn info over to the police when they can connect certain dots

terrorists and pedos is easy to justify

its not hard to see how that might slide down the slope though. The surveillance state is real. 

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Does it have to be a public video?  If she just wants to have her videos on youtube for her to watch, you could upload it as private for her use only.  If she wants to share with her friends and whatnot, yeah, that's a tougher issue.  Sharing with the public? Yikes (btw, lot of those kids videos have full fledged production staff behind it)

No it doesn't, however she is also pretty self aware what it means to have comments/likes/subscribes. I even heard her once "practicing how to end her video" by asking people to only write positive comments. I swear she is too smart for her age and pretty intuitive.  I think the biggest disconnect right now is her thinking she can just press record on our webcam (decent webcam, mind you) and when she is done recording, the video is going to look like some of the videos she watches which are obviously having some post production done on them by people who know what they're doing.  I wouldn't be surprised though, in a few years if she has taught herself how to do a lot of things.. A lot of people start out just making very primitive videos and they learn how to raise the quality because you have to start somewhere and go from there.  

As of now the only thing I am letting her do is record videos and store them on the PC itself.  It will probably stay that way for awhile she has plenty of years ahead of her.

49 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’m not sure how I feel about asking tech companies that track us to turn info over to the police when they can connect certain dots

terrorists and pedos is easy to justify

its not hard to see how that might slide down the slope though. The surveillance state is real. 

I'll admit to being a hypocrite in that I didn't want a PRISM like program while admiting I'm glad we did to at least say we did everything we could (this is a different country with a back to back 9/11).  The infrastructure is still there for connecting dots in a way we haven't even thought about, the doomsday machine no one can be trusted with. 

My understanding was that government would change to asking for the info instead of having direct access to search for themselves.  I believe YouTube and Google know stuff the government doesn't and cringes everytime something like this happens where they did nothing debating on what to do. 

In this case, the platform an accomplice and enabler by allowing the comments situation to fester like that, each situation is different, judgement calls have to be made though.  YouTube, like Facebook, has lost control of their platform because even if they are aware of possible criminal activity they don't know what to do about it, so much grey.  

4 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

My daughter is 7 and wants a youtube channel.  She watches videos of other kids opening toys, playing with toys, playing video games etc etc......personally I have no idea why she finds that stuff entertaining, but I assume because it's kids doing the videos?  My main objection to creating a page for her isn't her age, it's that she really has no idea how to really make a video other than click record on the camera app....the videos would be a mess and I have no time or patience to edit them for her. 

Stories like the OP is what has me hesitant to throw her into that ring just yet. 

My daughter is 3 and loves that ****.  I find the adults playing with Disney toys strange enough, but realize that some of them are making huge bank.  I don't know what age it would be appropriate to have a YouTube channel, but I know she's not anywhere close.  

42 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My daughter is 3 and loves that ****.  I find the adults playing with Disney toys strange enough, but realize that some of them are making huge bank.  I don't know what age it would be appropriate to have a YouTube channel, but I know she's not anywhere close.  

My daughter loves those videos too.  They're essentially infomercials, but kids love to watch them. 

26 minutes ago, Destino said:

My daughter loves those videos too.  They're essentially infomercials, but kids love to watch them. 

Yea, I'll peek over from time to time and here the adults sliding in where you could find the Elsa action figure with kungfu grip or whatever the **** at Target FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY and WOW THAT'S A GREAT DEAL!  Which is why those people probably make some serious coin and hence, why they are adults that play with kid's toys and film it. 

Like i said, my daughter is 3, she has no concept of money; her understanding of economics is frankly disappointing. 

Archived