Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2020 The Non Presidential Edition

Cooked Crack

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

MI-Sen becomes Likely D to Safe D. I'd welcome that.

Note that, if he runs for Senate, then he's likely running against an incumbent.  As opposed to running as the incumbent, in his home district.  

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Collins giving good material for her challenger.

And what exactly has Kavanaugh done that she would regret it? Seems his actions since being confirmed would reinforce her support. Can't answer that can you Cooked?

43 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

We'll see next November if the people in Maine agreed with that decision. 

He has not been as conservative as predicted, been praised by Ginsburg etc. He literally has done nothing that would cause Collins to regret her vote just the opposite. 

34 minutes ago, nonniey said:

He has not been as conservative as predicted, been praised by Ginsburg etc. He literally has done nothing that would cause Collins to regret her vote just the opposite. 

dyeuYpC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Why do you think all these states rushing to ban abortion? Pretty much threw away any claim to be a moderate by voting for a very partisan judge who states are lining up for him to overturn Roe. Not to mention tying her self to an accused sexual assaulter is not a good look. There's a reason her approval numbers have taken a fall. She might not personally regret it but I don't care about her feelings just about getting her out of office.

9 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

dyeuYpC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Why do you think all these states rushing to ban abortion? Pretty much threw away any claim to be a moderate by voting for a very partisan judge who states are lining up for him to overturn Roe. Not to mention tying her self to an accused sexual assaulter is not a good look. 

The question is does she regret her vote, with her answer of no. You are pointing out what he might do or probably will do. What he might do was on the board when she first voted, what he has done was not and nothing he has done should cause her regret.

Just now, nonniey said:

The question is does she regret her vote, with her answer of no. You are pointing out what he might do or probably will do. What he might do was on the board when she first voted, what he has done was not and nothing he has done should cause her regret.

Don't care if she regrets it. She can retire or be defeated and I'll be good. I always assumed she was going to retire after voting for Kav anyways. None of these blue state Republicans going to survive that.

DoJ has a duty to defend and enforce laws on the books right?  Does that include marijuana laws under Obama?

This DoJ sucks, not arguing that.  As much as I am pro-pot, I thought Obama should have worked to get the law overturned.  Not just choosing not to enforce them.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

DoJ has a duty to defend and enforce laws on the books right?  Does that include marijuana laws under Obama?

This DoJ sucks, not arguing that.  As much as I am pro-pot, I thought Obama should have worked to get the law overturned.  Not just choosing not to enforce them.

Can you let us know what the Obama DOJ"s policy with respect to marijuana was, specifically?  

Thanks in advance.  

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Can you let us know what the Obama DOJ"s policy with respect to marijuana was, specifically?  

Thanks in advance.  

I don't know how to search for articles from a certain time period but I remember that Obama policy was something to the effect of not to interfere in states that had legalized it.  

I can only find articles from January 2018 where Trump rolled back Obama's policy.

The Justice Department sent a shiver of uncertainty through the now-thriving legal marijuana industry Thursday by rescinding Obama administration policies not to interfere with state laws allowing people to use pot for medical and recreational uses.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/04/justice-department-crack-down-legal-marijuana-roll-back-obama-policy/1003183001/

If there is something I'm missing, I'm not afraid of learning and admitting I'm wrong.

16 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don't know how to search for articles from a certain time period but I remember that Obama policy was something to the effect of not to interfere in states that had legalized it.  

I can only find articles from January 2018 where Trump rolled back Obama's policy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/04/justice-department-crack-down-legal-marijuana-roll-back-obama-policy/1003183001/

If there is something I'm missing, I'm not afraid of learning and admitting I'm wrong.

Here is the actaul DOJ memo outlining their policy. 

https://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resources/3052013829132756857467.pdf

In a nutshell, it says they will continue to enforce the law, and they will focus on preventing distribution to minors, gang and cartel interdiction, preventing sales from states where it is legal to states where it isnt, preventing gun violence in connection with the drug trade and a few other areas.  It then goes on to say that it will not devote resources towards "prosecuting individuals whose conduct is limited to possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use on private property" and will leave that to local law enforcement.  At no point does it say they will fail to enforce any law, it is a matter of setting priorities, which is necessary given that all governments agencies have budgetary restraints.  

It was also released at a time when medical marijuana was being legalized and says that "it is "likely not an efficient use of federal resources to focus enforcement on serisouly ill individuals, or on their individual caregivers."  Again, it's about priorities.  If you have a limited amount of money, do you want the DOJ going after gangs and cartels, or grandpa with a marijuana card?

Comparing that to straight up ignoring the law is not a good comparison.  

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Here is the actaul DOJ memo outlining their policy. 

https://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resources/3052013829132756857467.pdf

In a nutshell, it says they will continue to enforce the law, and they will focus on preventing distribution to minors, gang and cartel interdiction, preventing sales from states where it is legal to states where it isnt, preventing gun violence in connection with the drug trade and a few other areas.  It then goes on to say that it will not devote resources towards "prosecuting individuals whose conduct is limited to possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use on private property" and will leave that to local law enforcement.  At no point does it say they will fail to enforce any law, it is a matter of setting priorities, which is necessary given that all governments agencies have budgetary restraints.  

It was also released at a time when medical marijuana was being legalized and says that "it is "likely not an efficient use of federal resources to focus enforcement on serisouly ill individuals, or on their individual caregivers."  Again, it's about priorities.  If you have a limited amount of money, do you want the DOJ going after gangs and cartels, or grandpa with a marijuana card?

I'd be interested to see the two other policies they referenced.  And I wish I could cut and paste from that document.

I understand them not going after grandpa and his dime bag.  But wasn't it covered widely that Colorado was opening up pot stores for recreational use?  It wouldn't have taken a whole lot of DEA resources to investigate.  They could have literally just showed up at the address that was advertised.  It also is illegal for medical uses under federal law.  Now they shouldn't of been harassing grandpa but they could have easily shut down the places that were providing it.

*reminder, I am pro-pot.  But this is about picking and choosing which laws you want to defend.  What would have been your stance if someone challenged federal law regarding pot.  Do you think DOJ should have actively worked in court to defend the law?

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'd be interested to see the two other policies they referenced.  And I wish I could cut and paste from that document.

I understand them not going after grandpa and his dime bag.  But wasn't it covered widely that Colorado was opening up pot stores for recreational use?  It wouldn't have taken a whole lot of DEA resources to investigate.  They could have literally just showed up at the address that was advertised.  It also is illegal for medical uses under federal law.  Now they shouldn't of been harassing grandpa but they could have easily shut down the places that were providing it.

*reminder, I am pro-pot.  But this is about picking and choosing which laws you want to defend.  What would have been your stance if someone challenged federal law regarding pot.  Do you think DOJ should have actively worked in court to defend the law?

The first license to operate a marijuana dispensary in Colorado was issued after this memo was released, so the policy could not have covered that, and then the DEA did raid them, repeatedly.  https://www.denverpost.com/2014/04/30/dea-raids-four-denver-marijuana-sites-related-to-vip-cannabis/ 

Federal authorities raided again multiple Denver medical marijuana businesses in dramatic fashion Wednesday — smashing doors, yanking out pot plants and cash, sawing safes open and driving the seized items away in U-Haul trucks.

The four targets — all linked to the VIP Cannabis dispensary or its operators — were among the more than a dozen medical marijuana businesses that agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration and Internal Revenue Service first raided in November. While the earlier raids shuttered many of those businesses, the four raided Wednesday were notable for having reopened.

So what's the issue?

49 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

IMO, what the Feds ought to do about pot, (maybe other drugs), is for the Feds to prohibit interstate drugs, and let the states decide the punishment for locals. 

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

IMO, what the Feds ought to do about pot, (maybe other drugs), is for the Feds to prohibit interstate drugs, and let the states decide the punishment for locals. 

Agree with this and would add that federal resources should be used to combat the supply, i.e., the cartels and gangs and distributors that are too sophisticated for local law enforcement to deal with (nearly all of which operate on an interstate basis to some extent). 

Archived