Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2020 The Non Presidential Edition

Cooked Crack

14 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Hide your daughters. Roy Moore is loose and he's looking for personal contact. Avoid your local mall.

Was this today or the last election Moore was in? Either way, this guy wouldn't pass a citizenship test if it meant he'd be deported to the middle of the Ocean. That goes for Moore and probably Trump also. 

While Stickland prided himself on his lone wolf image, the lawmaker was deeply unpopular with a faction of members and constituents who disagreed with his approach to politics. In the 2018 general elections, Stickland, running for a fourth term, almost lost to a little-known Democratic challenger.

Possible pickup for Texas House

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If part of their sentence is a monetary fine, and them completing their sentence is a requirement to vote, then it isn't a poll tax.  It is requiring them to finish all terms of their sentence.  

What's to stop state judges from putting outrageous fines on people knowing that they can never pay them so as to keep them off the voter registry?

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If part of their sentence is a monetary fine, and them completing their sentence is a requirement to vote, then it isn't a poll tax.  It is requiring them to finish all terms of their sentence.  

If that were the case, why would this bill be necessary?.  Also I feel like you don’t get how a lot of these fines and such are done to take advantage of people and line the pockets of those in charge.

9 minutes ago, visionary said:

If that were the case, why would this bill be necessary?.  Also I feel like you don’t get how a lot of these fines and such are done to take advantage of people and line the pockets of those in charge.

My understanding is that this was done because of a new law allowing released felons to vote.  So this clarified that they need to fill their sentence before being allowed to vote again.  And I have enough of a mis-spent youth (and adulthood) to know how these fines are done.  But that is a justice system reform, not a voting law reform.

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

My understanding is that this was done because of a new law allowing released felons to vote.  So this clarified that they need to fill their sentence before being allowed to vote again.  And I have enough of a mis-spent youth (and adulthood) to know how these fines are done.  But that is a justice system reform, not a voting law reform.

Let's be real though, if you coming out with a felony, it's not going to be easy to get work to pay that back.  They are counting on this, that's only reason they passed this law.

If the goal is to get as many people involved in the voting process as possible, this is opposite of that.  Even Virginia is doing a double take on keeping people from getting their license back if they still owe fines (though there are still some technicalities)

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Let's be real though, if you coming out with a felony, it's not going to be easy to get work to pay that back.  They are counting on this, that's only reason they passed this law.

If the goal is to get as many people involved in the voting process as possible, this is opposite of that.  Even Virginia is doing a double take on keeping people from getting their license back if they still owe fines (though there are still some technicalities)

I could understand allowing a license as that is pretty much needed to get money to pay fine.  But I have no problem with not being able to vote.  If that is important,  should have thought of that before committing a felony. 

54 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I could understand allowing a license as that is pretty much needed to get money to pay fine.  But I have no problem with not being able to vote.  If that is important,  should have thought of that before committing a felony. 

We may be on different sides of the discussion concerning taking voting rights to begin with. It's so much harder to integrate people back into society when you are saying in a million different ways you really don't want them to.

Archived