Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Winker with the 3 run tater to give the Nats a 7-6 lead!

Inning started with a Rosario single. 🤣.

That’s the second time Winker has hit a bomb to get a chunk of runs in a comeback.

Posted (edited)

There are a whole bunch of roster moves to make in the coming weeks. On the positional player side alone there are currently three guys who started the season on the roster that are now on the IL: Gallo, Thomas and Robles. One guy who was on the 40 all off season and started on the 60 day DL - Garrett and a stud prospect who has earned a spot - Wood.

Thomas’ injury will likely take him through late May and Garrett can stay on the 60 day to about Memorial Day weekend.

Robles is ready to return. I’d expect him up for the Baltimore series. Call would make the most sense to send down. I think he should be playing CF everyday to build trade value. 

Gallo is rehabbing in Fredericksburg. He is not far away. I’d expect Lipscomb to be sent down as Senzel and Vargas are doing a respectable job covering third.

Then things get interesting. Rosario seems like it’s obvious that he should go. But they’ve kept him this long. What if today is a sign that he’s going to go on a hot streak? If Wood is brought up, what role does Rosario have? Do you want to take Young and Robles out? I wouldn’t. You’d have Wood, Roble, and Young with Winker DH-ing. 

Additionally, roster spots are just tight right now. Do they return Nunez? That’s possible, but Davey doesn’t really use that spot. So, even if you create space, you’ll have someone getting very few PAs.

I can’t see them sending Young down at this point.

Meneses has an option, but I think it’d be tough to send him down. He should be nowhere near the cleanup spot, and he doesn’t provide the power that you want at 1B/DH, but he gives you professional ABs and is well liked in the club house. It’s a tough business, but I could see him being out of luck when Garrett and Thomas are ready if Gallo is healthy.

This has been a fun team to watch this first month plus. I’m often critical of Martinez, but I think he’s doing a really good job with them even if I disagree with some of his moves.

It was awesome listening to Winker in his postgame talking about the organization. They’ve come a long, long way in two years.

On the farm notes: Rutledge pitched six scoreless innings and it appears that Hassell may be moving up to AAA on Tuesday as Robles returns.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

There are a whole bunch of roster moves to make in the coming weeks. On the positional player side alone there are currently three guys who started the season on the roster that are now on the IL: Gallo, Thomas and Robles. One guy who was on the 40 all off season and started on the 60 day DL - Garrett and a stud prospect who has earned a spot - Wood.

Thomas’ injury will likely take him through late May and Garrett can stay on the 60 day to about Labor Day weekend.

Robles is ready to return. I’d expect him up for the Baltimore series. Call would make the most sense to send down. I think he should be playing CF everyday to build trade value. 

Gallo is rehabbing in Fredericksburg. He is not far away. I’d expect Lipscomb to be sent down as Senzel and Vargas are doing a respectable job covering third.

Then things get interesting. Rosario seems like it’s obvious that he should go. But they’ve kept him this long. What if today is a sign that he’s going to go on a hot streak? If Wood is brought up, what role does Rosario have? Do you want to take Young and Robles out? I wouldn’t. You’d have Wood, Roble, and Young with Winker DH-ing. 

Additionally, roster spots are just tight right now. Do they return Nunez? That’s possible, but Davey doesn’t really use that spot. So, even if you create space, you’ll have someone getting very few PAs.

I can’t see them sending Young down at this point.

Meneses has an option, but I think it’d be tough to send him down. He should be nowhere near the cleanup spot, and he doesn’t provide the power that you want at 1B/DH, but he gives you professional ABs and is well liked in the club house. It’s a tough business, but I could see him being out of luck when Garrett and Thomas are ready if Gallo is healthy.

This has been a fun team to watch this first month plus. I’m often critical of Martinez, but I think he’s doing a really good job with them even if I disagree with some of his moves.

It was awesome listening to Winker in his postgame talking about the organization. They’ve come a long, long way in two years.

On the farm notes: Rutledge pitched six scoreless innings and it appears that Hassell may be moving up to AAA on Tuesday as Robles returns.

I saw that Hassell has been hot lately! As has House, but in a different way. House seems to be more consistently getting his raw power onto the ball.

Is this just Hassell speculation, or are they actually talking about moving him up?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I saw that Hassell has been hot lately! As has House, but in a different way. House seems to be more consistently getting his raw power onto the ball.

Is this just Hassell speculation, or are they actually talking about moving him up?

Speculation on my part. He sat out today. Could have been a scheduled day off, but I think they are giving him two days to get settled in Rochester. 

Gallo hit a homerun today, btw.

Edited by Ball Security

6 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/05/06/cj-abrams-keeps-getting-better-its-time-think-about-an-extension/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=reddit.com

Letting CJ walk would be pretty bad for the Nats

At some point you have to retain talent instead of rebuilding every 3 years

How much would you offer him today to entice him to give up FA after the 2028 season?

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Still having Soto would have been nice. But man, did Rizzo work some magic the past few years with that trade, a few other trades and seemingly good picks. 

When they talk about pitching prospects, I assume that they are talking about Susana and Sykora. But Lara has been stellar so far this season. 

They have a ton of control left on Cavalli, Gore, Gray, Irvin, and Parker. They have Herz, Ward, and Rutledge in AAA. Should have Bennett back next season. They have Alvarez and Luke Young putting up good outings. Then they have a good chance at Chase Burns or Yesavage in the draft.

After years of failures in drafting and developing, they have four guys drafted outside of the first round putting up positive WAR for this roster.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

The Reds OF is pretty poor. I’d call up Cincinnati and float Robles to them now. Do it sooner than later before other teams start selling.

Jacob Young is our CF until Crews or Wood are ready. I’m also fine moving Lane Thomas.  I don’t think he’s repeating last year. Maybe we can fleece Preller again?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Jacob Young is our CF until Crews or Wood are ready. I’m also fine moving Lane Thomas.  I don’t think he’s repeating last year. Maybe we can fleece Preller again?

Wood is ready. 😎

Young can play all three OF spots well which makes him an ideal 4th OF when the rest have arrived. 
Does Thomas start next year in RF while they wait on Hassell/Crews? Perhaps. I was a proponent of moving him this offseason. Not sure what they can get for him.

I would give a lot of thought into converting Hassell into a first baseman, similar to what the Angels did with Darin Erstad way back when they had a stacked OF.

In 2025 you could have Wood, Crews, Young, Garrett, Thomas (may or may not move him for assets) with Hassell at 1B/OF. You’d have Pickney and Lile moving up in the minors.

For now, I’d be looking to showcase Robles and see if you can move him before Garrett and Thomas are ready to return.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Garcia back. Barnes DFAd. Roster at 39. 🤔 

Rainey somehow kept. Only throwing 92 right now, not sure how he's not a DFA candidate