Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/most-significant-stories-of-2023-strasburg-inches-toward-the-end

The 35-year-old right-hander has been through the full gamut of emotions since then, though, according to those who have spoken to him. He at times was determined to make it back to the mound again, even if he knew he wouldn’t be the same pitcher he once was. He then was resigned to his fate, conceding over the summer it wasn’t going to happen and making joint plans with the Nationals to announce his retirement. He has since turned sour toward some members of Nats ownership, with the financial details of his exit now in dispute, putting a formal announcement on hold for months, with no idea how or when it will end, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

Strasburg – who is still owed about $105 million over the final three years of the seven-year, $245 million contract he signed in December 2019, two months after opting out of the final four years of his previous $175 million deal – thought he and the Nationals had reached a settlement that would allow him to officially retire without forfeiting the remaining salary. Some in club ownership disagreed with the settlement terms, and so plans for his early-September announcement were shelved.

The matter was sent to Major League Baseball and the MLB Players’ Association, Rizzo revealed earlier this month, but a source familiar with the process said the Nationals and Strasburg were informed it’s ultimately up to them to work out an arrangement on their own.

With no settlement in place, the Nats are required to use a 40-man roster spot on Strasburg throughout the offseason and most of spring training. If the situation remains unresolved at that point, he would go back on the 60-day injured list for the season, clearing the 40-man roster spot.

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

The matter was sent to Major League Baseball and the MLB Players’ Association, Rizzo revealed earlier this month, but a source familiar with the process said the Nationals and Strasburg were informed it’s ultimately up to them to work out an arrangement on their own.

Phrases like this are such a pet peeve. Translation: someone who has no actual knowledge of what’s going on. Reality is no one with any direct knowledge is talking. Anytime a reporter says “people familiar with the process/negotiations/whatever” is just hearsay. I take it with a huge grain of salt.

Aside from that, they need to get this resolved. It’s a bad look on the Nats. Just get it done before Ken Rosenthal starts venting his ego as fact and Britt Ghiroli starts making up **** again

• Like 2

International Signing Previews from BA:

7. Victor Hurtado, OF, Dominican Republic

Born: May 24, 2007. B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 180.

Team: Nationals

Hurtado immediately draws attention for his long, lean 6-foot-3 frame with high-end strength projection. Scouts highest on Hurtado have praised both his hitting ability and power. He has a long wingspan with a sound, easy swing for his size, generating loft with good extension and leverage to drive the ball well from left-center field over to his pull side. He flashes over-the-fence power now and should grow into plus raw power with a chance for more given the way he’s trending physically. Hurtado is athletic for his size and should slot into a corner outfield spot after signing.

16. Angel Feliz, SS, Dominican Republic

Born: Nov. 16, 2006. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 190.

Team: Nationals

Feliz is a physical 6-foot-3 hitter with even more room to continue filling out. That all points to considerable strength projection for big righthanded power. Scouts highest on Feliz were drawn to him for his offensive approach and ability to hit in games, though he is an aggressive hitter with some length to his swing. Feliz has grown to the point where his days at shortstop are likely limited, with a move to third base probably coming soon. 

12 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

what are the odds crews makes the opening day 40 man roster 

I think it’s decent. They will want to play service time games, but they’ll also want to take advantage of the draft pick if he is ROY. My hunch is that either Crews or Wood makes the OD team.

35 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

What's the ROY draft pick people would get again?

I’m not really well versed in all the nuances. But at a high level, if your guy wins ROY, you get an extra pick between round 1 and round 2. So there is incentive not to hold people back. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-prospect-promotion-incentive-rookie-year-cba/ja5ts8eaxcuv85xujnzriafb

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I’m not really well versed in all the nuances. But at a high level, if your guy wins ROY, you get an extra pick between round 1 and round 2. So there is incentive not to hold people back. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-prospect-promotion-incentive-rookie-year-cba/ja5ts8eaxcuv85xujnzriafb

I wish Crews was a bit better in his brief time in AA. Do we really think the Nats aren't going to slow play him?

I've read Wood still needs development seeing certain pitches. House had that same critique but then he got promoted to A+ and AA and might have fixed it? Also their K rates are really high.

I can see we're heavy in ROY competition for 2025, but not 2024.

9 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

BA has Wyatt Langford one spot ahead of Crews at 5. I hope we don't regret that.

I was team Langford going into the draft..

Langford got promoted to AA and hit over .400, then earned himself a couple games in AAA at the end of the season. 

I suspect both will be quite good players. I'm not worried about Crews hitting his little slump. 

• Like 1

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-poke-the-washington-nationals-with-a-stick-to-see-if-theyre-still-alive/

"But they can't spend money, they're for sale."

So?

"As disappointing as it is that the likes of Gore, Abrams, and Hassell seem unlikely to reach their ultimate projected upside, the Nats did get more than a few useful big league roster players out of those trades. Enough to justify trading Soto instead of just immuring Scott Boras under a comically large pile of small-denomination bills? No. But some of these guys are OK. "

Edited by ixcuincle

41 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-poke-the-washington-nationals-with-a-stick-to-see-if-theyre-still-alive/

"But they can't spend money, they're for sale."

So?

"As disappointing as it is that the likes of Gore, Abrams, and Hassell seem unlikely to reach their ultimate projected upside, the Nats did get more than a few useful big league roster players out of those trades. Enough to justify trading Soto instead of just immuring Scott Boras under a comically large pile of small-denomination bills? No. But some of these guys are OK. "

This guy, whose solution is to bring in Saudi investors, says that Abrams is “disappointing” and Turner was the guy they should have kept. Yet both of them had the same WAR in 2023 while one is a 22 year old and the other is on the wrong side of 30. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

I'm mixed on CJ. He had his moments but overall was mid last year. Has to break out this year in his 2nd year of being a full time shortstop.

I'm all in if Crews makes the opening day roster until then I will be like the Nats and go into hibernation.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:50 PM, Ball Security said:

This guy, whose solution is to bring in Saudi investors, says that Abrams is “disappointing” and Turner was the guy they should have kept. Yet both of them had the same WAR in 2023 while one is a 22 year old and the other is on the wrong side of 30. 🤷‍♂️

He also was worried about Thomas leaving and Gore Gray and Abrams reaching free agency already? It was a really lazy article