Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

On 11/1/2022 at 9:33 PM, Riggo#44 said:

Orioles are still assholes.

The Angelos family is just as litigious with themselves as they are with the Nats... :ols:

What's going to happen first? Dan officially sells the Commanders, Ted officially sells the Nats or Peter takes his last breath, throwing that situation into chaos? 

3 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

The Angelos family is just as litigious with themselves as they are with the Nats... :ols:

What's going to happen first? Dan officially sells the Commanders, Ted officially sells the Nats or Peter takes his last breath, throwing that situation into chaos? 

I'm going to say Snyder sells the Commanders. The Lerners are so hard to do business with, who knows when this gets done--plus MASN ****ing everything up

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm going to say Snyder sells the Commanders. The Lerners are so hard to do business with, who knows when this gets done--plus MASN ****ing everything up

I think you're right. The momentum, of this sale is definitely dragging and and they're a handful of weeks away from the winter meetings. That should have been the target from the get go. 

I remember when the Lerners refused to pay rent on their stadium because all the curly W's weren't painted at Nats Park or whatever and then claimed the city owed THEM money because it wasn't finished. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

God....I don't want Leonsis' cheap ass at all.

14 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Leonsis has his faults but being cheap isn't one of them....

I'm somewhere in the middle on this one.

Ted doesn't play with NBA luxury tax because Polin didn't leave him in best position concerning the stadium from a revenue perspective and frankly the Wizards dont generate as much money as a lot of other NBA teams.

Even in a Top 10 TV market Wizards are like middle of the pack revenue wise among the other NBA teams.  Nationals are jus outside the top 10 in the same market even though being far less established in the area from a time perspective.  NBA luxury tax seems less forgiving then MLB in part because NBA technical has a "hard cap" to go with it.

Even then, Wizards come up to the salary wall all the time, even if by doing something stupid, jus so they don't "not use that cap space".  So I don't expect Ted to be cheap, but he won't be making it rain, which matters a lot in MLB right now (NBA getting ready to crack down on the luxury tax, word on the street, in New CBA)

• Thanks 1

The big thing about Leonsis is that he pays to keep his stars. He paid to keep Ovi and Backy. Paid to keep Wall and Beal(even though Beal should have been traded but that's another discussion). I think there is a better chance we keep Harper and/or Soto if Leonsis were in charge. He understands the value of superstars and how much revenue they generate in the long term.

Honestly I'd be okay with Leonsis. Better the devil you know. And at the end of the day the effect of the owner is pretty minimal as long as they're willing to spend somewhat and stay out of the way and aren't complete dbags.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The big thing about Leonsis is that he pays to keep his stars.

That's not necessarily a good thing. Yes, I'd be fun to still have Soto, Harper, but what are the unintended consequences? We'd have a roster of Soto and...Soto and...Soto and? Or we'd have $230m tied up in 7 or 8 players, and even less in the minors, if we kept all of our stars. 

Also, hanging onto stars like the Phillies did with Ryan Howard is extremely detrimental.

I am very much on the fence with Leonsis. It seems like the Caps are heading for a rebuild. I don't follow them that closely, but they look like they're an aging, mediocre, expensive team--which is what the Nats were after 2019, before the wheels fell off 2nd half of 2021.

So, we'll see. It'll be an interesting offseason for both the Nats and Derrrrs.

• Like 1

If Ted wants to spend money to keep his stars and put team around them to try and win rings, go for it.

I can think if worse things then trying to figure out how to fill a roster around Turner, Harper, and Soto.

My concern would be farm system, Wizards dont have history of developing talent.  Caps going though a lot of injuries right now, hard to judge them for messing up a rebuild that hasn't started yet while also having the longest run of success in DC of all the sports teams this century.

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ What a sad waste of talent.  

--

BTW, it's a shame that Joey Meneses didn't get a single Rookie of the Year vote.

.324 BA

.563 SLG

14 doubles, 13 HRs, 34 RBIs in just 56 games. 

He was more productive than any NL rookie not named other than Michael Harris II.