Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BitCoin falling like a Dotcom

joeken24

5 hours ago, tshile said:

Eth is switching to pos I believe this summer but I also believe that’s only a rumor? Pretty sure the switch is confirmed news just a rumor on when?

Buterin has said he hopes ‘by the end of the year.’ Others have said in the first half of 2022.

• Thanks 1

Guess I’ll try to exit enj at 2. Got it at 0.86. 

eth is twice what I paid for it now but, I’m willing to hold out a bit longer.  Gonna have to let it go soon. Can’t get caught holding dip purchases that’s when you get hosed 

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Guess I’ll try to exit enj at 2. Got it at 0.86. 

eth is twice what I paid for it now but, I’m willing to hold out a bit longer.  Gonna have to let it go soon. Can’t get caught holding dip purchases that’s when you get hosed 

Guess you should try. LOL

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

the way you said “guess I’ll try” just sounded funny to me, as if you might not be able to sell it or were just being lazy. 

Ah. No, I wasn’t convinced it’d get there. It did earlier and I missed it cause I had to help run t ball practice... but I put the order in and it just went through. 

so 1 down 1 to go. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

If you’re into free coins and the Coinbase quizzes for them, the rewards are based on USD so you’ll get more if you take the quizzes during the dips 

This made me check cause I did all the reward ones a long time ago. The polygon one was the only new one so I took my $3 worth now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Want to Stop Ransomware Attacks? Ban Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies.

Let’s say you’re a hacker who wants to extort money from a big corporation. A decade or two ago, you might have hacked into their systems, stolen some data, and sold it for pennies on the dark web or demanded money for its return. But how to get paid? No bank would accept such a wire transfer. The cinematic version—a bag of nonsequential bills dropped off in a public park or handed to a passing courier—is too risky. The key part of the plan, actually getting money, is the toughest to pull off.

Now, as seen in this week’s ransomware attack on JBS, the world’s largest meat processor, there’s a relatively safe way to extort companies: cryptocurrencies. “Cryptocurrency provided the perfect answer to allowing hackers to prey on their victims and extort unlimited and anonymous cash payments while completely minimising their exposure of being caught by law enforcement,” programmer and writer Stephen Diehl explained in a recent Twitter thread. It’s never been easier to hack a company, get paid for it, and escape scot-free.

Ransomware has passed from a minor inconvenience to a widespread threat against major infrastructure, both in the U.S. and around the world. Last year, 2,500 cases of ransomware were reported to the FBI, with $350 million in cryptocurrencies paid out as ransoms. As The Wall Street Journal noted, these numbers are likely undercounts, ignoring those cases never reported to law enforcement. In 2020, dozens of hospitals were hit, in some cases paralyzing operations and depriving patients of necessary care. Colonial Pipeline eventually paid $4.4 million in Bitcoin to its attackers, the Russia-linked hacking group DarkSide, in order to resume operations. (There have been no reports that JBS paid its attackers.)

Here’s how these attacks work. A hacker penetrates a company’s systems—an often easy task, given many firms’ shoddy cybersecurity practices. The hacker uses ransomware to encrypt the company’s data, making it inaccessible to anyone who doesn’t have the requisite password, and then demands payment in Bitcoin or another digital currency. The victim can open an account on a cryptocurrency exchange, buy Bitcoin, send it to the hacker’s wallet address, and the hacker will then decrypt the victim’s data.

Click on the link for more

On 5/29/2021 at 2:00 PM, PartyPosse said:

Yay more collapses

Bitcoin Crashed 50% Last Month. Here’s How Worried Investors Should Be, According to Experts

The price of Bitcoin plunged 50% in May, highlighting the cryptocurrency’s volatility in a time when more and more people are interested in getting in on the action. 

We’ve talked to investing experts and financial advisors who advise against sinking much of your portfolio into the asset class for this very reason. They work with clients to make sure volatile crypto investments aren’t getting in the way of other financial priorities, like saving an emergency fund and paying off high-interest debt. 

“You have a high chance of losing it all, but a small chance of winning it big,” says Nate Nieri, a CFP with Modern Money Management in San Diego, California. “Don’t gamble an amount that would burden your family or prevent you from achieving your goals” if you lost it all, he says.

How does this latest crash compare to previous ones, or even to regular stock market drops—and what does it mean for investors? 

For those who invest in crypto for the long-term using a buy-and-hold strategy, swings like this are to be expected. The dip of the past few weeks is nothing to be overly worried about, according to Humphrey Yang, the personal finance expert behind Humphrey Talks, who says he avoids checking his own investments during volatile market dips.

“I’ve been through the 2017 cycle, too,” Yang says, referencing the ‘crypto crash’ of 2017 that saw many major cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, lose major value. “I know that these things are super volatile, like some days they can go down 80%.”

Experts recommend keeping your cryptocurrency investments to under 5% of your portfolio. If you’ve done that, then don’t stress about the swings, because they’re going to keep happening, according to Bill Noble, Chief Technical Analyst at Token Metrics, a cryptocurrency analytics platform. 

“Volatility is as old as the hills, and it’s not going anywhere,” Noble says. “It’s something you have to deal with.”

Click on the link for the full article

13 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

****ing Pissant Elon strikes again.

Bitcoin tumbles after Elon Musk tweets breakup meme

The price of bitcoin sank on Friday after Elon Musk appeared to lament the end of his relationship with the cryptocurrency.

The Tesla (TSLA) CEO tweeted a meme about a couple breaking up along with the bitcoin hashtag and a broken heart emoji. The post included lyrics from a song by rock band Linkin Park titled "In the end."

Bitcoin fell by over 6% to hit $35,814 at around 8 am ET, according to CoinDesk. It was last trading at $36,410, having dropped about 5% over the past 24 hours. Other digital currencies lost ground, with ethereum 5.6% weaker in mid-morning US trade at $2,637 and dogecoin tumbling 10% to around 36 cents.

Musk recently told customers that the electric car giant would no longer accept bitcoin as payment for its vehicles because of concerns about the environmental impact of bitcoin mining, which is extremely energy intensive.

While he later appeared to soften his stance after speaking with bitcoin miners in North America, Musk's most recent tweet suggests he won't be back on the bandwagon anytime soon.

El Salvador looks to become the world’s first country to adopt bitcoin as legal tender

El Salvador is looking to introduce legislation that will make it the world’s first sovereign nation to adopt bitcoin as legal tender, alongside the U.S. dollar.

In a video broadcast to Bitcoin 2021, a multiday conference in Miami being billed as the biggest bitcoin event in history, President Nayib Bukele announced El Salvador’s partnership with digital wallet company, Strike, to build the country’s modern financial infrastructure using bitcoin technology.

“Next week I will send to congress a bill that will make bitcoin a legal tender,” said Bukele.

Jack Mallers, founder of the Lightning Network payments platform Strike, said this will go down as the “shot heard ’round the world for bitcoin.”

“What’s transformative here is that bitcoin is both the greatest reserve asset ever created and a superior monetary network. Holding bitcoin provides a way to protect developing economies from potential shocks of fiat currency inflation,” continued Mallers.

Bitcoin's terrible run isn't over yet

The cryptocurrency has fallen roughly 8% over the past 24 hours, according to Coindesk, and was trading near $33,200 at 4:45 a.m. ET on Tuesday.

Other digital currencies, including ethereum and dogecoin, also fell around 8% or more.

The value of bitcoin has tanked more than 40% over the last month during a torrent of bad news, including a move by one prominent former backer, Tesla (TSLA) CEO Elon Musk, to stop accepting the cryptocurrency as payment for cars. There's also increasing government scrutiny on cryptos in China and elsewhere.

It's not clear what is driving the most recent downturn, but there have been a handful of recent developments that may be making investors anxious.

The sell-off could worsen if bitcoin prices fall below $30,000, according to Jeffrey Halley, senior market analyst for Asia Pacific at Oanda.

Breaking below that barrier would "basically put every long position since January 1st in the red, which I believe, will trigger another capitulation trade," he wrote in a Tuesday research note.

Even former US President Donald Trump has knocked bitcoin recently, telling Fox Business on Monday that the currency "seems like a scam" that "takes the edge off of the dollar."

The Biden administration has also zeroed in on the lack of regulation in the crypto market, having recently unveiled new plans to tax bitcoin more heavily. The Federal Reserve appears to be growing more serious about exploring a potential digital dollar.

It's down, and Trump doesn't like it... two solid reasons to invest.

Fed explores ‘once in a century’ bid to remake the U.S. dollar

The Federal Reserve is taking what may be the first significant step toward launching its own virtual currency, a move that could shake up banks, give millions of low-income Americans access to the financial system and fortify the dollar's status as the world’s reserve currency.

The idea of creating a fully digital version of the U.S. dollar, which was unthinkable just a few years ago, has gained bipartisan interest from lawmakers as diverse as Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and John Kennedy (R-La.) because of its potential benefits for consumers who don’t have bank accounts. But it’s also sparking strong pushback from those with the most to lose: banks.

“The United States should not implement a [central bank digital currency] simply because we can or because others are doing so,” the American Bankers Association said in a statement to lawmakers this week. The benefits “are theoretical, difficult to measure, and may be elusive,” while the negative consequences “could be severe,” the group wrote.

The explosive rise of private cryptocurrencies in recent years motivated the Fed to start considering a digital dollar to be used alongside the traditional paper currency. The biggest driver of concern was a Facebook-led effort, launched in 2019, to build a global payments network using crypto technology. Though that effort is now much narrower, it demonstrated how the private sector could, in theory, create a massive currency system outside government control.

Now, central banks around the world have begun exploring the idea of issuing their own digital currencies — a fiat version of a cryptocurrency that would operate more like physical cash — that would have some of the same technological benefits as other cryptocurrencies.