Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stand Up to Harvard

thegreaterbuzzette

Sorry folks, I thought I had this set up to alert me if anyone posted. And clearly I failed at that.

Interesting to read everyone's opinions so far.

Is the issue that frats/sorors are same-sex? Because as someone pointed out - So are sports teams. Also, my sorority was very diverse social-econmincally, racially, religious, and sexual preference, even gender identity. 

I also would not have been nearly as philanthropically and Leadership involved without going Greek. 

And our parties. We had very strict rules we put on ourselves that NONE of the non-Greek parties on campus had. 

There are for sure things that need fixed in collegiate Greek life (I still volunteer to help them as an alumni). But I dont think this is the solution.

My fear is that this will force the greek orgs to go secret society...and we've all seen that movie....

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

That seems unlikely.  I don't know the details of the rules, but I suspect they didn't include rec leagues.

The committee defined USGSO as "An Unrecognized Single Gender Social Organization is any selective-membership, single- gender organization, whose primary purpose is social, including but not limited to final clubs, fraternities and sororities, that has a membership that is comprised entirely of Harvard students and/or Harvard alumni. "

Now that's either intentionally vague so they can selectively enforce or intentionally restrictive so that everyone easily get around it.  So take the rec league.  I guess it has to be intramural to qualify.  Is it okay because the primary purpose is not social but athletic?  Could a frat adopt a primary purpose of study group and get around the policy?  What if they open up applicants to any university student?   If they wanted to target greek life on campus only, they could have easily done so.

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My original post said Yale, and those 2 schools are significantly more prestigous than the rest. 

Want proof?  Tell me the last Supreme Court justice that went to a school besides Harvard or Yale. 

That's a fairly recent trend though (Uniformity of Harvard/Yale law grads on SCOTUS).  (Btw, Ginsburg finished law school at Columbia).  Stevens, Marshall, O'Connor, Rehnquist, they all went to school elsewhere.

You could also argue appellate bench is where connection and prestige plays a particularly big role.  Did it limit Warren Buffet to get rejected by Harvard business and settle for Columbia?  Gates to drop out of Harvard? Where did Steve Jobs go to college?  You can make broad generalization about the value of Harvard/Yale education, but they are about as valuable as any other broad generalizations.

2 hours ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Seriously? 

Alpha Kappa Alphas

Phil Beta Sigma

Those 2 groups alone are HUGE!!!!!!

Plus all the diversity in non-traditionally African American or Multi-cultural groups?!?!?! 

Your perception isn't the norm anymore, it's the exception. 

Sorry, that was just my quick thought.  I glanced over some of the first page of that site and thought to myself, “This is mostly white people on this page.”  ESPECIALLY the pic of the rowers.  Could there be anything whiter?

I am pro serority/fraternity though.  I am pro-tradition.  I am pro allowing kids to have clubs that separate the genders.  Men and women aren’t the same, let’s stop pretending that they are.  I have no idea if that even pertains to what that site is about, cause I didn’t really read that well into it.  I wasn’t in a frat in college, but I can see the benefit to them.

Archived