Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Haunting Of Hill House is the legit best Netflix series since the first season of Stranger Things

Springfield

9 hours ago, Destino said:

We know the house doesn't kill people directly and we know that Luke refused to inject himself with drugs.

Didn't he drink the rat poison in the room? 

While most of the surviving family were helping Luke inside the red room, no one was out there to tell dear ol dad "don't do it, the Mom we knew would never want you to kill yourself!"  Singled out and desperate to save what family he had left, he was picked off easily enough. 

I just don't like that though. The house is never shown to be evil or having any motive. The house isn't taking part of any of this, all the events are simply the misunderstood actions of the spirits from the children's perspective. The house gains nothing. The house didn't kill Nelly, the mother did because she was being manipulated by the flapper woman. The other ghosts didn't care at all and one even told her the flapper was lying. Why isn't the house on the same page with itself?  The love between the father and mother is touched upon quite a bit and it's a beautiful moment in the end when he gives his life to be with her and keep her company while also breaking her free of her belief that the kids needed to be saved. 

She's driven insane, an intentional act, to the point where she can't tell when she's awake and when she's dreaming.  At that point the house manipulates her into trying to kill some of the children, she succeeds only at killing Abigail before being tricked into taking her own life.  If her issue was simply "brain issues" as you say, why does this condition persist in the version of her ghost Hugh encounters in the house?  If she's dead, she has no brain with which to have issues.  

This is debatable. She is sensitive, her mother was sensitive and Theo was sensitive all before showing up at Hill House. The mother was also dealing with migraines and likely other brain trauma and that coupled with the increased paranormal presence at Hill House tipped her toward a battle with insanity. In this weakness, the flapper manipulated her because she wanted to stir **** up. That wasn't the house, that was one spirit behaving as it did while alive. The old lady told the mother not to believe the flapper. None of the other ghosts had any interest in what was going on. Why would that be? The mother was tricked into killing Abigail and herself and then as a ghost, still wanted to protect her children from hurt and being apart from them so she still believed the could save them and keep them at Hil House. She had no influence over any of them until Nelly came back and that manipulation started again. 

Why assume the house wants to eat all the people at once?  Lions like to nap with full stomachs.  This temporarily nonthreatening period doesn't mean they won't eat you once they get hungry again.

The house isn't Pennywise. It's never shown to act on it's own at all or have a hunger. All of the haunting is through the misunderstood acts of the spirits that live there from the perspective of the children. The mother sees these spirits too and isn't alarmed by them at all because they and the house are not really threatening. They never appear that way except to terrified children. If anything, the house actually gives the children the Red Room, a place where they all feel safe and protected and can be themselves. 

Poppy Hills is not just going about her business

I don't remember which one that was. Is that the flapper?

Nell's ghost wasn't going about its business when it appears screaming in the car between Shirly and Theo.

This could have easily been a warning. If it's the house, why do that and scare them when they are already on the way to the house? 

Olivia wasn't going about her business crawling out from under Shirly's desk.  I also don't think William Hill (the hovering fiend) is just going about his business either.  He was tap tap tapping even after he had his hat and he clearly had a thing for tormenting Steve.

Do we really know that any of the ghosts and visions they see as adults are actually there or just the haunting trauma the kids are dealing with from their childhood experiences? 

A supernatural element doesn't undermine those things any more than a thrown grenade undermines the heroism of a person that leaps upon it to save their friends.  The Crains are doing their best to survive whats happening to them, but there is something happening to them... and they are all going to be eaten by the house, because the finale is a giant lie.  There is no happy ending.  The house got what it wanted, Hugh and Nell, and then sold the rest of them the same happy lie it offered the Dudleys.  They won't want to destroy the place where whatever walks it's hallways "walk together."  They're destined to join the ever growing mob of rotting fiends that have been trapped, forever, within that house

I could maybe buy this if we got some sort of "gotcha" at the end where we see things are not quite as they seem. But we don't get that at all. All of the kids have forgiven their father, accepted their pasts and all of their adult actions and are moving on with their lives. They finally got over that night as children when they lost their mother. They have closure, they have catharsis. The house closes its lights as we close the book on this story. There is no moment where we think or imply that it's not over, that the house is still going, that the hauntings will continue for this family. Without even a slight implication, it just doesn't make sense to go that route and not see the ending for what it was. I wouldn't call it a happy ending since they did lose their sister and father but it is a cathartic ending for the children and for the father, nelly and mother as well. 

I don't see where it offered a lie to the Dudleys either. They got exactly what they wanted out of their decision and can still live forever with their daughter. The house would only be lying to them if it somehow didn't work out in their favor or they were eaten as spirits etc but that is never shown to be the case. 

But real talk, the biggest loser in the show is Kevin Harris (Shirly's husband).  He'd be better off in Hill House than his own house. 

lol can't really argue that. Shirley is a bit cold and now he has to learn she cheated on him. 

Also, the Dudley's were child abusers.  Find the lie. 

It's here: 

the Dudley's were child abusers

Think they were just crazy protective of their daughter over the things they had seen in Hill House. Probably terrified them

20 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The house isn't Pennywise. It's never shown to act on it's own at all or have a hunger. All of the haunting is through the misunderstood acts of the spirits that live there from the perspective of the children. The mother sees these spirits too and isn't alarmed by them at all because they and the house are not really threatening. They never appear that way except to terrified children. If anything, the house actually gives the children the Red Room, a place where they all feel safe and protected and can be themselves. 

So the spirit that clawed at Luke in the basement wasn't threatening?

11 minutes ago, China said:

So the spirit that clawed at Luke in the basement wasn't threatening?

Ok, that one was. But wasn't that the guy behind the bricks that was scratching his way out until he died? Not sure if it confirmed that but that's what I thought it was once that guy behind the bricks was later explained. 

On 10/31/2018 at 6:56 PM, Destino said:

Being that this thread exists, I decided to reply here instead of in the TV recommendation thread. 

Yes it's amazing how many seem to be so obvious, but I completely missed most while watching the show.  I wonder if even though I failed to consciously take notice of all of those spirits, if they still somehow contributed to the overall creepy vibe I felt while watching? 

Anyway, spoiler discussion time. (don't read the hidden text below unless you've seen the ending) 

Hide contents

I initially hated the last episode.  It dragged and it didn't fit.  A relentlessly dark story shouldn't have such a saccharine ending. 

After giving it some thought though, there is no happy ending.  In fact, it's the opposite.  The surviving Crains have been tricked.  It tricked them into coming to the house, tricked them into spending time in the corrupting room, and filled it's belly with the family's patriarch which it singled out while feigning an attack the Crain children.  The tricks didn't end there.  Having fed, the next course of action is to ensuring no one left intending to destroy the house.  So it tricked the surviving Crains the same way it did the Dudley's. 

Part of me wanted to believe the happy ending was legit because the show had me rooting for the characters.  That's not how it will play out though, the house is going to eat them.  Eventually.

Yes, eventually the evil nature of the house will supercede whatever agreement the father made with his wife to get their children freed. That house was starving after he made his deal with the Dudleys, which is why it was haunting the children, it needed them to come back. Although the children will be aware of it's tricks, their children won't understand, and potentially the house can use them as bait, like it used Thea and Luke, to get them all to come back. 

What I found to be a spectacular twist is Thea, the female twin, turned out to be the "bent neck lady" all along. She was haunting herself. Also likely responsible for inadvertently killing her husband. There is just so much to unpack for all the characters. By far, some of the best written characters I've seen on Netflix. 

On 11/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The house is not eating or killing people or taking souls and didn’t claim another victim in the finale. To me, that seems to miss the point. The house has no stake in any of this except to hold any spirits that die within its walls for whatever reason. The house isn’t shown to be gaining anything from these deaths or that it wants these things to happen. 

The mother is shown to be sensitive to paranormal and have other brain issues  and that causes her mental downfall dealing with both of these. She is confused in her breakdown and ultimately kills herself and while still being tricked, manipulates her daughter into doing the same, believing she was saving them

If the house was eating people or trying to kill them, it could have done so a hundred different times during their childhood. The ghosts for the most part are just going about their business. Fixing clocks, looking for their hat, scratching on walls etc same things they did when they were alive and just going thru their routines. They aren’t there to torment the children, the children just don’t know that and are naturally terrified. 

The show is about the trauma of that childhood and that fateful night and how it haunted the children for their entir lives. To see the house as some evil entity taking souls really undermines the sacrifice, forgiveness and acceptance at the end of the season. 

If the house wasn't evil, than how do you explain the Dudley wife's stillborn baby? Or the one guy bricking himself into the basement and then trying to get out? Nell described dying in that house as being consumed and slowly being digested. That insinuates the house is a predator that sees people as food. That it needs to feed on them in that red room. If the house wasn't basically engineering the return of the Craine family, how do you explain Nell being used as pawn to haunt herself? Why would the children be haunted after they left the house at all? 

On 11/6/2018 at 11:37 AM, NoCalMike said:

I enjoyed the show, but felt it wrapped up a little to neatly and "happy?"

Interesting, what the original planned ending was, but Flanagan and his team felt it might be too much of a downer.  I probably would have preferred that ending, truthfully. 

What was the original ending? 

Just now, Gamebreaker said:

What was the original ending? 

Spoiler

The original ending they were going to run with was that the entire happy ending stuff was a facade. They never got out of the red room.  They were going to do it in a subtle way though.  I guess there is a rectangle shaped window or picture or something on the wall inside the red room (I'd have to go back and see it) so during the epilogue, that same rectangle thing would appear on the wall in all the character's final scenes to elude that they were actually still trapped inside the house.  

12 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

If the house wasn't evil, than how do you explain the Dudley wife's stillborn baby? Or the one guy bricking himself into the basement and then trying to get out?

Stillborn babies are evidence of evil? was there something else around the baby's death that I forgot?

The guy bricking himself in was either crazy or terrified of the other spirits he was seeing there, the same as the Crain children were.  

Nell described dying in that house as being consumed and slowly being digested.

This could just as easily be an expression of speech or metahpor. She's happy while there. She's not suffering. The mother has been there for 20 years and she is ok. The house isn't hurting them

That it needs to feed on them in that red room.

But it's not feeding on them in the red room. All of the children go their freely and it's their solitude, their place of happiness and safety. 

If the house wasn't basically engineering the return of the Craine family, how do you explain Nell being used as pawn to haunt herself?

Nell didn't go back because of the bent neck lady. She went back because her therapist told her to go back and confront her fears. 

We are led to believe the bent neck lady killed her husband and was haunting her for her entire life. That's not the case. Her husband died of a brain aneurysm. She also wasn't being haunted.

How can her spirit travel through time to haunt her? That's a pretty wild power to randomly giver a spirit and never explain or expand upon. The answer is that she wasn't haunting herself. She was seeing a premonition of her death throughout her life and had no idea what it was. This literally "falls" into place as soon as she hangs herself and we see her drop into every scene where Nelly saw the bent neck lady. 

13 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Why would the children be haunted after they left the house at all? 

I don't think they were haunted as adults. They were traumatized by what they saw as children and were dealing with that trauma. Nelly and her premonitions. Shirley and her dreams. Theo and her fear/hesitance of touching people due to what she might find. Luke felt haunted by the trauma he was dealing with and turned to drugs which made what he saw even less reliable. Steven, who never saw a ghost to have that terror throughout his adult life, was surprisingly not haunted. It all tracks

Another example that it simply isn't the spirits in the house causing people to kill themselves or others. When Nell goes back to the house, she hallucinates seeing her mother(a spirit trapped there), but also sees her entire family(who aren't spirits trapped there), and her husband(who didn't die there). What caused her to see all of this? How was Luke able to see the junkie that he had a crush on? How was Steve able to see his ex-wife? It was the house.  

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Stillborn babies are evidence of evil? was there something else around the baby's death that I forgot?

The guy bricking himself in was either crazy or terrified of the other spirits he was seeing there, the same as the Crain children were.  

This could just as easily be an expression of speech or metahpor. She's happy while there. She's not suffering. The mother has been there for 20 years and she is ok. The house isn't hurting them

But it's not feeding on them in the red room. All of the children go their freely and it's their solitude, their place of happiness and safety. 

Nell didn't go back because of the bent neck lady. She went back because her therapist told her to go back and confront her fears. 

We are led to believe the bent neck lady killed her husband and was haunting her for her entire life. That's not the case. Her husband died of a brain aneurysm. She also wasn't being haunted.

How can her spirit travel through time to haunt her? That's a pretty wild power to randomly giver a spirit and never explain or expand upon. The answer is that she wasn't haunting herself. She was seeing a premonition of her death throughout her life and had no idea what it was. This literally "falls" into place as soon as she hangs herself and we see her drop into every scene where Nelly saw the bent neck lady. 

I don't think they were haunted as adults. They were traumatized by what they saw as children and were dealing with that trauma. Nelly and her premonitions. Shirley and her dreams. Theo and her fear/hesitance of touching people due to what she might find. Luke felt haunted by the trauma he was dealing with and turned to drugs which made what he saw even less reliable. Steven, who never saw a ghost to have that terror throughout his adult life, was surprisingly not haunted. It all tracks

I'll give you the stillborn baby, but we can't claim the spirits didn't care about the living people in the house when the guy bricked himself into a wall, but one of the spirits explained there was still enough space for them to get to him. That is why he tried to claw his way out. If they didn't care about the living, why were they stalking him? What would be their motivation outside of the house wanted him to die there? 

If Nell wasn't suffering, why did she tell Luke not to listen to their mother? She clearly didn't want him to be stuck there for eternity like she is. And the house IS feeding on them in the red room. This is why it appeared as something they would be comfortable in, so they wouldn't be aware of what was happening. So they wouldn't leave before it was done or fight back. This is stated plainly in the last episode. They feel happy and safe there so they don't struggle as they are slowly being consumed. Everyone who went in there slowly lost their sanity. It's like a succubus, lulling it's victim into a false sense of security while it feeds. 

And Nell absolutely went back because of the bent neck lady. Yes, her therapist told her to face her fear. Her fear IS the bent neck lady, who's been haunting her ever since they left the house. It would be a mighty big coincidence that she has one of her episodes in the middle of the night, and her husband dies of an aneurysm at the same time as the bent neck lady appears. It's far more likely the house got rid of Arthur, as she had no appearances of the bent neck lady for two years after she met him. Arthur was teaching her how to deal with her episodes and her fear of the bent neck lady. So the house got rid of him so she would be vulnerable to manipulation again. 

Nell also explains how the house enabled her to haunt herself, When she was speaking to her siblings in the red room, she was explaining to them how time works. How it's not in a straight line or follows any logical flow. This is why when she hung herself, she appears to herself in various points through out her entire life. It was necessary, in order to get her to "face her fears" and come back to the house, which was the motivation needed to make Luke come back, which eventually got the entire family to come back. Nell was bait, bait for herself and the rest of the Craines.

You're wrong about Steve not being haunted. They all woke up, in various parts of the country, at the same time from a nightmare once. Steve was one of them. Hugh proved to Steve that he always saw the spirits in the house, he just didn't know what he was looking at, when they were driving back to Hill House. And he was absolutely seeing his mother(like he did in the oncologist office), and he admitted as much to his father, which is why he got a vasectomy to try and prevent passing whatever was affecting his family onto his children.

24 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Hide contents

Another example that it simply isn't the spirits in the house causing people to kill themselves or others. When Nell goes back to the house, she hallucinates seeing her mother(a spirit trapped there), but also sees her entire family(who aren't spirits trapped there), and her husband(who didn't do die there). What caused her to see all of this? How was Luke able to see the junkie that he had a crush on? How was Steve able to see his ex-wife? It was the house.  

bd5030e4b57455e7c1927805d603c070.jpg

But really though, it was described as home. 2 lights to come home. To me that was all part of her mother tricking her to believe she was safe so she could ultimately kill Nelly thinking she was helping/saving her.

4 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

If Nell wasn't suffering, why did she tell Luke not to listen to their mother? She clearly didn't want him to be stuck there for eternity like she is. And the house IS feeding on them in the red room. This is why it appeared as something they would be comfortable in, so they wouldn't be aware of what was happening. So they wouldn't leave before it was done or fight back. This is stated plainly in the last episode. They feel happy and safe there so they don't struggle as they are slowly being consumed. Everyone who went in there slowly lost their sanity. It's like a succubus, lulling it's victim into a false sense of security while it feeds.

She didn't want him to be tricked like she was and die there. Tricked by her mother, not the house. She didn't want him to die but live and have a long life. That doesn't mean she was suffering there just that she wanted better for them as their father articulated to their mother. Sure, they could all live there and be together and be fine, but you're denying your kids the chance at a life and experiences and ups and downs etc. There is just no evidence the house was feeding on them in the red room. It could have gotten them anytime were that the case. I didn't see everyone going in there losing their sanity. The only person that did was the mother and she had lost her sanity prior to ever going in there. 

8 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

And Nell absolutely went back because of the bent neck lady. Yes, her therapist told her to face her fear. Her fear IS the bent neck lady, who's been haunting her ever since they left the house. It would be a mighty big coincidence that she has one of her episodes in the middle of the night, and her husband dies of an aneurysm at the same time as the bent neck lady appears. It's far more likely the house got rid of Arthur, as she had no appearances of the bent neck lady for two years after she met him. Arthur was teaching her how to deal with her episodes and her fear of the bent neck lady. So the house got rid of him so she would be vulnerable to manipulation again.

so now the house is just killing people in the real world? That just makes no sense. Why not just kill the dad and then the kids would sell the house and it would always have a new family moving in etc. The house can't just kill people. There is no evidence that the bent neck lady or the house killed Arthur. Of course that's what she thinks, she doesn't yet understand her premonition. And the house just knew the therapist would advise her to return and confront her fears instead of Nelly being so traumatized she ends up killing herself or running further away? 

Nell also explains how the house enabled her to haunt herself, When she was speaking to her siblings in the red room, she was explaining to them how time works. How it's not in a straight line or follows any logical flow. This is why when she hung herself, she appears to herself in various points through out her entire life. It was necessary, in order to get her to "face her fears" and come back to the house, which was the motivation needed to make Luke come back, which eventually got the entire family to come back. Nell was bait, bait for herself and the rest of the Craines. 

That explanation could just as easily describe her premonitions of her death instead of a 5th dimensional spirit being. It doesn't make any sense why the haunting suddenly stopped with Arthur. Why would the ghost be impacted by Arthur making her happy? Her fear of the bent neck lady or no fear has no bearing on whether the ghost would decide to haunt her or not. Yet the ghost mysteriously waited two years before appearing again. It's because Nelly was happy and wasn't traumatized with Arthur, she wasn't afraid and was moving on with her life. It is a coincidence that when she had another premonition Arthur died but that's all it can be. Otherwise we are basically giving the house the power to just pop people's brains like a grape whenever it wants. 

26 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

You're wrong about Steve not being haunted. They all woke up, in various parts of the country, at the same time from a nightmare once. Steve was one of them. Hugh proved to Steve that he always saw the spirits in the house, he just didn't know what he was looking at, when they were driving back to Hill House. And he was absolutely seeing his mother(like he did in the oncologist office), and he admitted as much to his father, which is why he got a vasectomy to try and prevent passing whatever was affecting his family onto his children.

Steve was never haunted tho as a child or traumatized and it's why he never was haunted as an adult. They all woke up when their sister died. To me that more speaks to a subconscious bond between the children rather than evidence of him being haunted. He does see Nelly as an adult tho before he knows she's dead and that is the first spirit he is aware of. Him seeing the spirits in the house fixing the clock just shows that they were dangerous to them since they were just going about their day and because Steve wasn't traumatized by them, he never had to deal with them as an adult. 

On 11/6/2018 at 10:43 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Didn't he drink the rat poison in the room? 

There is a syringe in his arm, but in the dream state he refused to inject himself.  The house does not murder directly. 

I just don't like that though. The house is never shown to be evil or having any motive.

You mean aside from infecting everyone that spends significant time in the house, where by it torments them, often driving them to suicide or murder? 

In this weakness, the flapper manipulated her because she wanted to stir **** up. That wasn't the house, that was one spirit behaving as it did while alive. The old lady told the mother not to believe the flapper. None of the other ghosts had any interest in what was going on. Why would that be? The mother was tricked into killing Abigail and herself and then as a ghost, still wanted to protect her children from hurt and being apart from them so she still believed the could save them and keep them at Hil House. She had no influence over any of them until Nelly came back and that manipulation started again.

So now you're arguing the house and the ghosts are not connected?  Only the people infected by the house are haunted by these ghosts.  They are connected.

Except Nell specifically says that the house digests them in the red room.  It tricks them into spending time there and the people that do are forever haunted by that house.  No else sees the ghosts, and we know it's not just mental trauma because more than one of them can see the same ghost at the same time.  They're linked, and it's via that link that the house calls them back... so it can eat them. 

This could have easily been a warning. If it's the house, why do that and scare them when they are already on the way to the house? 

I don't know, but it wasn't Nell just happily living out a blissful after life.  That sudden scream was all torment and rage, not happiness.  

Do we really know that any of the ghosts and visions they see as adults are actually there or just the haunting trauma the kids are dealing with from their childhood experiences? 

Yes because more than one of them sees the same thing at the same time.  This happens frequently. 

I could maybe buy this if we got some sort of "gotcha" at the end where we see things are not quite as they seem. But we don't get that at all. All of the kids have forgiven their father, accepted their pasts and all of their adult actions and are moving on with their lives. They finally got over that night as children when they lost their mother. They have closure, they have catharsis. The house closes its lights as we close the book on this story. There is no moment where we think or imply that it's not over, that the house is still going, that the hauntings will continue for this family. Without even a slight implication, it just doesn't make sense to go that route and not see the ending for what it was. I wouldn't call it a happy ending since they did lose their sister and father but it is a cathartic ending for the children and for the father, nelly and mother as well. 

1- We know the house wants them.  Nell told them.  Their farther told them.  Their mother is still after them as well. 

2- We know that their connection to the house remains.  Nothing that happened in there severed it.

3- These two facts together mean the house is going to continue doing it's thing. 

Also you're forgetting a big component of all that happy catharsis, it stops the kids (who now presumably own the house) from wanting to destroy the house.  Hugh Crain wanted to destroy it when his wife died so the house showed the Dudley's their daughter and they begged Hugh not to.  Remember Luke's reaction to the house eating his sister?  He immediately aims to burn the thing to the ground!  Can't have that.  Now they think Nell, Mom, and Dad are living happily ever after in there... their will be no burning.   

I don't see where it offered a lie to the Dudleys either. They got exactly what they wanted out of their decision and can still live forever with their daughter. The house would only be lying to them if it somehow didn't work out in their favor or they were eaten as spirits etc but that is never shown to be the case.

I don't believe the ghosts are as happy as the house makes them appear when convenient.  They look shiny and clean at times, but they're rotting corpses when seen outside of the house.... as are all the other ghosts in the house.  None of the rotting corpses appear to be happy, at all.   

Think they were just crazy protective of their daughter over the things they had seen in Hill House. Probably terrified them

No one knew that girl existed.  A 7 year old literally intentionally kept away from all other humans is abusive.  They thought they had outsmarted the house by staying away at night, but it had already gotten its hooks in them. 

Just finished.  It was solid.  If I had one word to describe the show, I'd go with "stressful." Was on edge the entire time.

Ending was a bit of a let down, but overall good stuff.  

Spoiler

We got back stories/explanations for most of the ghosts, but did we ever get more on that zombie thing in the secret bootlegging basement that Luke found? 

And was that thing that destroyed the model house in the funeral home office the dead sister?

53 minutes ago, Chew said:

Just finished.  It was solid.  If I had one word to describe the show, I'd go with "stressful." Was on edge the entire time.

Ending was a bit of a let down, but overall good stuff.  

Hide contents

We got back stories/explanations for most of the ghosts, but did we ever get more on that zombie thing in the secret bootlegging basement that Luke found? 

And was that thing that destroyed the model house in the funeral home office the dead sister?

I think it was the ghost of the man who bricked himself into the wall. He's also the same one that stalked Luke as an adult. 

I think that was the mother. Steve and his sister both saw the mother crawling from behind the desk immediately afterwards. It'll also make sense she felt frustration at seeing it and destroyed it since she had dreams of a home for her family too.

Archived