Official 2018 Flex Scheduling and Playoff Tracker Thread

kleese

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Panthers are out of it.

Looks like the only teams, that the Redskins need to be concerned about, is

Vikings

Eagles

Redskins

And sadly, I think the team that's going to give the Redskins the most challenge in getting into the playoffs...is the Redskins.

And Seahawks. They play the Chiefs, so if the Skins take care of bidniz both would be 8-7.

Also, the Cowboys. If they somehow lose to the Bucs and the Skins beat the Titans, both are 8-7 as well. Could be a log jam going into the final week.

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I didn't count the Seahawks because it will be easier to catch the Vikes, since they got a worse record then Seattle.

Skins HAVE to take the easy route if they want in the playoffs.

The only route they have any control over is what they do, they don’t exactly have much control over which team between The seahawks and Vikings loses one of 2 games. The Seahawks should definitely be included in that list if they’re one of the teams we need help from 

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

We’d have split with them in head to head, if we beat them week 17. Next tiebreaker is conference record where we’d be 7-5, and they’d be 5-7, so we’d win the tiebreaker if we both finish 8-8 (as far as i know....anyone wanna correct me?)

Yes I will correct you :) 

Eagles will have lost to Texans and Titans... having beaten the Jags and Colts. That’s 2-2 against the AFC meaning they would be 6-6 against the NFC, which is where we’d be as well assuming we lose to Tennessee and then beat Eagles. 

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Honestly I think Tennessee is gonna put a thorough ass kicking on us Saturday making this all moot but do I understand correctly?

If We win out all we need is for Minnesota or Seattle to lose one of their two remaining games?

No, we do not win a 9-7 tie-breaker with Seattle so we’d need them to lose two if we win out. But yes on Vikings.. we just need them to lose one. 

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

The Seahawks should definitely be included in that list if they’re one of the teams we need help from 

That is not true or accurate.

Getting help from Seattle is not a necessity at all.

If Seattle wins out, we can still get into the playoffs.

I'm focusing on the Vikings more than Seattle because they're the first team we have to pass, due to their record.

6 minutes ago, kleese said:

Eagles will have lost to Texans and Titans... having beaten the Jags and Colts. That’s 2-2 against the AFC meaning they would be 6-6 against the NFC, which is where we’d be as well assuming we lose to Tennessee and then beat Eagles. 

Oh ok, then it goes to best record in common games (cowboys, giants, and any other teams that the redskins and eagles both played), and I’m guessing the eagles have the better record in that area?

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Oh ok, then it goes to best record in common games (cowboys, giants, and any other teams that the redskins and eagles both played), and I’m guessing the eagles have the better record in that area?

This is where I’m kind of mind blown right now. Unless I’m nuts we would be 6-8 in common games and they would be 7-7, but using the ESPN generator it has us getting the nod if we both finish 8-8 with a skins win over Eagles week 17. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Also, the Cowboys. If they somehow lose to the Bucs and the Skins beat the Titans, both are 8-7 as well. Could be a log jam going into the final week.

For Dallas, we aren't really competing with them as a wild card.

Because for that to happen, Philly would have to win the division. And for Philly to win the division, they would have to beat us in the last game. And if they

do beat us, we're out of the playoffs, even as a Wild Card.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I didn't count the Seahawks because it will be easier to catch the Vikes, since they got a worse record then Seattle.

Skins HAVE to take the easy route if they want in the playoffs.

It's not about easier, it's about what's possible.

1 hour ago, kleese said:

No, the Skins would be 7-5 against the NFC in that scenario (lose to Titans and beat Eagles).

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That is not true or accurate.

Getting help from Seattle is not a necessity at all.

If Seattle wins out, we can still get into the playoffs.

I'm focusing on the Vikings more than Seattle because they're the first team we have to pass, due to their record.

Getting help from Vikings isn't necessary at all, either, though. The Vikings can win out and the Skins can still get into the playoffs as well. The Skins need help from either the Vikings or Seattle. They just need less help from the Vikings.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

57 minutes ago, kleese said:

This is where I’m kind of mind blown right now. Unless I’m nuts we would be 6-8 in common games and they would be 7-7, but using the ESPN generator it has us getting the nod if we both finish 8-8 with a skins win over Eagles week 17. 

Both the Eagles and the Redskins would be 6-8 in common games, so it would go to Conference record next, which the skins would hold the tiebreaker with a 7-5 record and the Eagles would have a 5-7 record.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

For Dallas, we aren't really competing with them as a wild card.

Because for that to happen, Philly would have to win the division. And for Philly to win the division, they would have to beat us in the last game. And if they

do beat us, we're out of the playoffs, even as a Wild Card.

It's not about a wildcard birth, it's about a playoff birth.

22 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Both the Eagles and the Redskins would be 6-8 in common games, so it would go to Conference record next, which the skins would hold the tiebreaker with a 7-5 record and the Eagles would have a 5-7 record.

Yeah i had a feeling i was right about the redskins having the better conference record :) 

OK so thanks to multiple posters who have cleared up some stuff...appears if we lose to Titans and beat Eagles that we win an 8-8 tie breaker with both Seattle and Philly. This of course assumes Seattle losses to KC and Arizona, the latter of which is highly unlikely of course. But it’s a scenario. 

So yes, the only way we get eliminated this week is if we lose and Minnesota and Seattle BOTH win. 

The path to make it at 9-7:

—Cowboys lose 2

—Seahawks lose 2

—Vikings lose 1

(We need ONE of those to happen) 

The path to make it at 8-8 assuming loss to Titans and win over Philly: 

—Seahawks lose 2

—Vikings lose 2 

I know we can’t make it at 7-9 and I don’t think there is a way in at 8-8 if the loss is to Philly. 

8 hours ago, kleese said:

No, we do not win a 9-7 tie-breaker with Seattle so we’d need them to lose two if we win out. But yes on Vikings.. we just need them to lose one. 

We are currently 6-5 in the conference, so we'd be 7-5 in the scenario where we lose to Tennessee and beat Philly. 

The best thing here is the team can't control the outside factors, so they really should just focus on getting W's.  Furthermore, you have a QB who isn't going to play timid when pressure is on, and is showing he will leave it all on the field.  Also, as a competitor, they should love the saturday game.  Say to everyone "We haven't left", and force the other teams to realize with a Skins win, they still have to play.

9 minutes ago, superozman said:

The best thing here is the team can't control the outside factors, so they really should just focus on getting W's.  Furthermore, you have a QB who isn't going to play timid when pressure is on, and is showing he will leave it all on the field.  Also, as a competitor, they should love the saturday game.  Say to everyone "We haven't left", and force the other teams to realize with a Skins win, they still have to play.

Just the enjoyment as a fan that would come with a Saturday win would be worth it. We'd get to sit back excitedly watching the Sunday slate and rooting for outcomes that can help. 

32 minutes ago, DCtoSC_SKINS_LIFER said:

Who holds the tie breaker between us and Dallas for the division if we both end up 9-7?  Or 8-8 for that matter.

my head hurts

I didn’t help matters by posting a little misinformation on the 8-8 scenarios. This is the update and I THINK it covers it all:

The path to make it at 9-7:

—Cowboys lose 2

—Seahawks lose 2

—Vikings lose 1

The path to make it at 8-8 assuming loss to Titans and win over Philly: 

—Seahawks lose 2

—Vikings lose 2 

I know we can’t make it at 7-9 and I don’t think there is a way in at 8-8 if the loss is to Philly. 

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Redskins     22

Titans           19

Man, that would be awesome... as @TD_washingtonredskins mentioned a win on Saturday would make Sunday an absolute blast. We’d have all kinds of rooting interests including one huge one (Vikings) that would allow us to control our destiny week 17. If we lose Saturday it will obviously take a lot of juice out of Sunday and it will be more desperately rooting for a couple of things to happen to make Week 17 interesting. I’m pretty sure you pick us to win every week, but I really hope you are right this week. Can’t say I feel the same. 

On 12/16/2018 at 11:00 PM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

this eagles game good or bad for our playoff chances.

IMO It was actually good because the Bears are now 1 game behind the Rams for the 2nd seed and they own the head to head tiebreaker with them which means they will have a lot to play for in week 17 (vs Vikes) as long as they win this week against the 49ers.  

What Philly does isn't relative because we play them in week 17 and they could say the same thing about us.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

IMO It was actually good because the Bears are now 1 game behind the Rams for the 2nd seed and they own the head to head tiebreaker with them which means they will have a lot to play for in week 17 (vs Vikes) as long as they win this week against the 49ers.  

What Philly does isn't relative because we play them in week 17 and they could say the same thing about us.

I wanted to Philly to lose because I wanted them to have nothing to play for in the final week. I can't see us beating them if they need to win to be honest but who the hell knows.  That said you are right, Chicago will have something to be playing for the final week which makes a VIking lose more probable. 

And I’m pretty sure the Bears own the tie-breaker with NOLA as well, which means if Saints lose to Steelers this week the Bears could potentially catch them week 17 as well. In other words, we would really want the Bears to win this week in order to keep their hopes/motivation alive for that Vikings game. 

10 hours ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

I wanted to Philly to lose because I wanted them to have nothing to play for in the final week. I can't see us beating them if they need to win to be honest but who the hell knows.  That said you are right, Chicago will have something to be playing for the final week which makes a VIking lose more probable. 

Right...it's tough seeing us beat a motivated Eagles team. Then again, in similar late-season runs that we've had in 2005, 2007, 2012, and 2015 there was always a game or two that I didn't expect us to win. 

I know this thread is just about the math...but I really think this discussion comes to a close on Saturday night. It was fun though, after the month-long losing streak, to get a sweat again about the post-season. Even if just for a week. 

Archived