Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has any team started a re-build while in 1st place in the Division? We Should

jbird2

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Some people are saying Tomlin is on the hot seat.  I'd be stoked to bring him in.  Though that would have to be the decision of a new GM for me to get excited. 

Although I think Tomlin is overrated, all he has to do is hire the right people. If he has a good OC and a good DC he will look great. No chance in hell he wants to coach us though, but he would be that no nonsense guy that could change the locker room.

Let me be the voice of some reason here. IF Dan wanted to he could have rebuilt the team, not like he hasn't had 20+ years to do so. Dan wants to win a SB so bad that he keeps on eating hot porridge. We haven't drafted a QB that has become a franchise QB and Kirk came pretty close of being one but instead they saw Alex as the WIN NOW guy. We have gotten players like Norman who is no better than Breeland. At this point should have just kept Breeland. I can go on. But the fact will remain that no blowing up will ever happen. Dan wants to win a SB every year. Dan doesn't believe in consistency and patients and chemistry. Dan thinks he can buy a SB and he still does even after all of these years. 

Blowing up the team is not going to make one ounce of damn difference.

17 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Although I think Tomlin is overrated, all he has to do is hire the right people. If he has a good OC and a good DC he will look great. No chance in hell he wants to coach us though, but he would be that no nonsense guy that could change the locker room.

He can't even control his own locker room right now... No thanks. Offensive lineman trolling Bell and vice-versa.... Brown calling him out. He's a bum.

11 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I hate to say it, but this team needs to take it's medicine with some 3-5 win seasons.  These .500/just under .500 season are doing them no good. 

All that we have seen for three seasons in a row, going on four now, is a team that is stuck in neutral.  They beat just enough fellow mediocre teams to give everyone hope for the following season. 

I'm shocked that I'm about to write this, but I agree. I've actually taken a small amount of pride in the fact that we've been "in the discussion" by Thanksgiving for a few consecutive seasons, but eventually you need to take the next step. We are young in areas (key areas, even), but we are old in some critical places which makes having a 9-win ceiling pretty bad. 

Smith either needs to elevate this team or be replaced. He's 34 so there's no point in having him here for 2-3 years of 6-8 win seasons. His LT is not going to play much longer either, so we either need to contend in the next couple years or move on from Trent as well. 

The pieces we CAN build around are the young DLs and DBs. We also have a promising young RB and a couple OL who are exciting. 

It will NEVER happen, but if this team hit the reset button in January, I'd be pretty excited. 

This team is actually set up quite well to do a fairly quick rebuild, we have some good young talent and can get out of all the veteran contracts with minimal cap penalties.

The thing that screws it up is the Alex contract, the cap penalty is huge for the next 2 years and that's gonna hurt if we do want to pursue free agents.

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This team is actually set up quite well to do a fairly quick rebuild, we have some good young talent and can get out of all the veteran contracts with minimal cap penalties.

The thing that screws it up is the Alex contract, the cap penalty is huge for the next 2 years and that's gonna hurt if we do want to pursue free agents.

They could potentially turn that into a positive by using Smith the way Reid did last year. Maybe this off-season we draft a QB and let him learn behind Smith for a year (year 2 of Smith's contract). Then the following year we could let the young guy take over and still have a year left of Smith as a mentor/backup. 

26 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Maybe this off-season we draft a QB and let him learn behind Smith for a year (year 2 of Smith's contract). Then the following year we could let the young guy take over and still have a year left of Smith as a mentor/backup. 

I figured/hoped that was the plan the entire time, I never saw Alex as more than a 3 year QB here so we have to have someone ready to go within the next 2 years.

The problem is if Alex continues to look terrible it accelerates everything and that's where it gets hairy, nobody wants to see that 2013 & 2014 RG3 QB type play, that was painful to watch.

As mad as we all are about last night, it isn't anything new.  As bad as everyone looked, it isn't new because of this roster.  It is a systemic problem with this franchise. 

As bad as the team looked last night, it still probably won't derail them from a couple wins they aren't expected to get, followed by losses that aren't expected and when all is said and done, they will be 7-9 or 8-8 and Bruce Allen will try to convince everyone the team is a player or two away from glory. Wash rinse repeat.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

They could potentially turn that into a positive by using Smith the way Reid did last year. Maybe this off-season we draft a QB and let him learn behind Smith for a year (year 2 of Smith's contract). Then the following year we could let the young guy take over and still have a year left of Smith as a mentor/backup. 

Problem with that is, Mahomes in year 1 has the Chiefs looking like SB contenders.  And they are able to benefit from his rookie contract by adding pieces as necessary.  If we keep Smith and draft a QB, we squander that benefit for half of the young QB's contract, minimum.  Not to mention the Chiefs also have a good supporting cast already in place, whereas we really don't.  

All Alex Smith would do, in the meantime is keep us mediocre enough to not have draft picks in the top five or ten.  

15 minutes ago, megared said:

Problem with that is, Mahomes in year 1 has the Chiefs looking like SB contenders.  And they are able to benefit from his rookie contract by adding pieces as necessary.  If we keep Smith and draft a QB, we squander that benefit for half of the young QB's contract, minimum.  Not to mention the Chiefs also have a good supporting cast already in place, whereas we really don't.  

All Alex Smith would do, in the meantime is keep us mediocre enough to not have draft picks in the top five or ten.  

Well, it's year 2 - remember Alex mentored him last year. 

• 4 weeks later...

Is it too soon to revisit this topic?

Am I a "fake fan" for suggesting this?

I really really really hope that the Skins face the Pats in the Superbowl, but if we miss the playoffs or get blasted out in the first round of the wildcard can we please start a 3 year re-build with the anticipation that we could have a realistic shot in year 2 or 3?

We don't have THAT much to do actually, but we need to trade the following for as high of draft picks as we can get.

TW:(

Reed:unsure:

Kerrigan :(

Norman :stop:

Following should be traded, not resigned, cut or replaced by FA or BPA draft picks:

PSmith

Crowder

PRichardson

We then for the next 2 years draft or develop  via young quality FA (similar to C Brantley) a quality starter at the following positions- (in order of Importance) (NO BPA FOR ANY OTHER POSITIONS. we are drafting BPA for these positions)

OG

OT

OLB

CB

OLB

TE

A Later round QB (Our own version of Mahomes) (unless we somehow luck into the ability to draft TUA in 2020)

We also draft or develop the following positions that can start for depth.

OT

OG

OLB

ILB

WR

We are looking to sign or trade for any YOUNG potential players (Like HHCD this year) during that time, but we DO NOT SQUANDER high or multiple draft picks.

We attempt to resign Peterson, HHCD for resonable, as long as possible contracts.

PLEASE Lock down QDunbar for as long as possible if he has not already been locked up long term.

The remainder of this year we start/Play as much as possible:

C - C Dunn

TE - J Sprinkle

CB - A Adonis

DT - T Settle

DE - C Brantley

LB - R Anderson

LB- JH-Clemons

LB - SDH

Cut- 

WR - BQuick

WR - M Floyd

RB - Perine

Promote from Practice Squad

WR - SCobb

WR - DKidsy

TE - JP Holtz

I am not listing the OL because my assumption is that there are going to be guys promoted and brought off the street this week based on the devastation of the ATL game. 

I'll wait for the calls for my account to be terminated, or maybe I get a job in the front office.....:drooley::P:stop::hitfan:

I totally get the frustration and I feel that change is neccessary.

I'm also in agreement that we PROBABLY wont do much in the playoffs if we even make it.

Having said that we're a win next week away from being 6 and 3, you just dont blow up a team that's in that position in the standings.

If we lose the next 2 or three games and also do so in the same embarrassing fashion That we lost to the Falcons in then I say go for it because the season is probably over.

It's just too early for that.

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I totally get the frustration and I feel that change is neccessary.

I'm also in agreement that we PROBABLY wont do much in the playoffs if we even make it.

Having said that we're a win next week away from being 6 and 3, you just dont blow up a team that's in that position in the standings.

If we lose the next 2 or three games and also do so in the same embarrassing fashion That we lost to the Falcons in then I say go for it because the season is probably over.

It's just too early for that.

There's nothing left that can be done in-season. This thread started before the trade deadline, so there was at least some logic to it. 

At this point, the next 8 games will only help determine the off-season plan (stick with Gruden/Smith and build around them vs. starting over on offense). Even if we go full 2008 Zorn and limp to a 7-9 or 8-8 season, what can you really do? Sure you can make changes on-the-field (bench Smith, etc.), but that's not a rebuild. You could also fire Gruden if you really want to, but what good would that do?

39 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

There's nothing left that can be done in-season. This thread started before the trade deadline, so there was at least some logic to it. 

At this point, the next 8 games will only help determine the off-season plan (stick with Gruden/Smith and build around them vs. starting over on offense). Even if we go full 2008 Zorn and limp to a 7-9 or 8-8 season, what can you really do? Sure you can make changes on-the-field (bench Smith, etc.), but that's not a rebuild. You could also fire Gruden if you really want to, but what good would that do?

Please, Please don't fire Gruden.

He has brought stability to the team and had a direction that the team was headed in.

He could be good to develop a new QB under Smith for a few years.

46 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I was responding to the post directly above mine.

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Oh, I agree. I think we would need to see an epic collapse. 

But, an epic collapse is not outside the realm of possibility.

The only thing we have going for us is the emergence of Mo Harris, and Josh Doctson, and possibly Quinn or Sims if/when they make it back.

In the next few weeks teams are going to stack the box to take away the run, collapse our pitiful OL, and take away the short passing game.

ASmith and Gruden will be forced to gameplan and execute a more aerial attack which will help develop our young WR and give the running game space. It is not a long-term solution however.

Only the drafting and development of OL is a long term answer.

Just now, jbird said:

But, an epic collapse is not outside the realm of possibility.

The only thing we have going for us is the emergence of Mo Harris, and Josh Doctson, and possibly Quinn or Sims if/when they make it back.

In the next few weeks teams are going to stack the box to take away the run, collapse our pitiful OL, and take away the short passing game.

ASmith and Gruden will be forced to gameplan and execute a more aerial attack which will help develop our young WR and give the running game space. It is not a long-term solution however.

Only the drafting and development of OL is a long term answer.

Sorry, I wasn't clear but I agree with you. 

I don't think they should part ways with Gruden no matter what. I meant to say that I don't think it's even on the table outside of an epic collapse. What I want and what could happen are two different things. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear but I agree with you. 

I don't think they should part ways with Gruden no matter what. I meant to say that I don't think it's even on the table outside of an epic collapse. What I want and what could happen are two different things. 

Ain't that the truth brother!

• 1 month later...

Archived