Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Teams Do You Pull For? And Why Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

I've said this in the RTT many times. I see sports fandom as funny. When marriages fail 40% of the time, people like a team unerringly—even if the team can't run itself competently. Or how many of us profess undying allegiance to a team based on random factors: like where we were born, who we were born to, etc.

Fandom can be funny at times.  One of our good friends is a Cowboys fan, her entire family is Redskins fans, she said she picked Dallas to go against her dad and brothers and it just stuck. 

One lady that I used to work with had multiple football teams, she claimed the Panthers, Bucs and Eagles.......damn strangest thing I've ever seen.  She claimed that she loved mobile QBs (think it was while Freeman and Vick were playing, of course Cam).  I used to give her **** about that all the time.

Hell, when I was a kid my mom said she pulled for the LA Rams.  Sounded odd to me, asked her why and she said she was in high school at the time and thought their QB was cute.  

People take it way too seriously. 

I go to a Penn State game here and there, but mostly to tailgate with college friends. Ticket prices are too expensive and it feels like gambling—on whether you're gonna have a good time (win/loss) or not. 

It's entertainment. When I think a TV show has jumped the shark, I stop watching. I like watching teams execute at a high level consistently. People wear suffering for their team through tough times like some badge of honor. Why is that exactly? The teams don't really give it the other way. You lose your job, they're not giving you a free ticket, pay your cable bill, or pick up your bar tab (even for one week). 

Then we find ourselves defending degenerate humans because they happen to be wearing "our" colors. 

Born in Wisconsin in 72, became a Redskins fan in the late 70s while flipping through an NFL book that had all the team logos at that time. My two favorites at the time were the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Logo (something about that orange pirate looking fella on the helmets) and the Washington Redskins Indian Head. I liked the burgundy color of the Redskins, and thus it stuck. Before I get any crap about not liking the Packers, most of my friends growing up were not Packer fans until around 91-92, or the Brett Favre era.

For the NHL, I prefer the hated Pittsburgh Penguins, the first game I ever went to was against the Chicago Blackhawks in the mid 80s. I believe it was Mario Lemieux's second season, and was mesmerized by his play. Blackhawks were closer, but apparently if you live in Wisconsin, you are not supposed to like anything Chicago. Plus, the Blackhawks owner at the time, Bill Wirtz was preventing Milwaukee from getting an NHL team (territorial rights infringement, or something to that affect.)

AHL I like the Milwaukee Admirals, they are the minor league team of the Nashville Predators, or equivalent to the Hershey Bears, the Capitals farm team.

NCAA football, I like the Wisconsin Badgers (alma mater), and Notre Dame.

Not a fan of baseball, even if the Brewers just clinched a playoff spot.

Not a fan of basketball, though the Bucks will be in a new arena this year, and have some nice young talent. (The Greek Freak is really a nice guy, I had the pleasure to meet him at a local burger joint.)

Cycling - Peter Sagan. That guys a beast, and great with the fans.

Apart from the DC teams:

-The Cleveland Browns (they came back the year I started following the NFL- they're not my favorite but I've always had a soft spot for them)

-East Carolina University (my alma mater)

-University of Pennsylvania (started following Ivy League Football this year and since they were the closest to my current home in the Harrisburg, PA)

NFL: Redskins-dad worked for them from when i was in 6th grade until the summer of the lockout.

NHL: Caps-DC team. Got to sit in a suite with redskins players a few times, that was always fun. Being in college in New England, I only was able to really catch the playoff games the last 6 years, so i followed more and more each year 

NBA: Wizards-DC team. 

MLB: Nats-DC team. I try to go to one game a season 

College basketball: Iowa State-parents went to college there 

College Football: Iowa State-again cause parents went there 

I grew up in PG county. Went to many Orioles and Capitals games as a kid. Went to a handful of Bullets games as well. I only went to a couple of Redskins games at RFK. Football games sadly aren't really places for kids. I always loved sports and I loved watching and going to games. One of the most exciting days in our house was when we got HTS and could watch all the home games. As I mentioned earlier in response to Bang, I loved listening to games on the radio. In fact, I was disappointed when games weren't on. I would go to sleep listening to the games on WTOP and WMAL. 

Even after moving to NC, I still watch and follow the Redskins, Orioles, and Capitals. I go to games when I get the chance. I follow Maryland sports as well. When they were in the ACC, I would go to away football games all the time. Only went to a few away basketball games since those tickets are harder to get. But I was in attendance when Maryland won the ACC tournament in 2004. I had a friend who went to Carolina and had mid court 7th row seats. Once they lost and MD kept winning, he kept giving me his tickets. That was the last year of the 9 team ACC and was the best sporting event I've ever been to. 

Archived