Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

stupid question but i really don't know

Leonard Washington

what is the difference between a wedding ring and an engagement ring? i know what they symbolize but how can i go into a store and know what i'm looking at? is a wedding ring and engagement ring plus an attachment? i know i could walk into the place and ask the person to show me engagement and wedding rings but i don't want them to sell me a poor selling regular ring as an engagment or wedding ring. thanks if you can help.

it depends what your wife wants.......

alot of times, and engagement ringis just a solitaire with a good rock on it.

then when you get married, you can get the rock transferred to a wedding band that she likes....

i just got the wedding band first and a good rock.

then, i got a shadow band to go with the ring. the shadow band is like the wedding band, but is much simpler...kind of like an accent.

Originally posted by Cleotis

so is it a good idea for me to take her to the store and say show me what you like or is that a no no?

I think it depends on whether you have already asked her to marry you (or you've discussed it seriously) or whether its supposed to be a surprise. Obviously the downside of taking her with you is she may well pick out a ring you can't possibly afford. The upside is she'll get a ring she really loves. What you might want to do is to contact the store beforehand, talk to a salesperson to establish a relationship, and let him/her know what price range you can deal with. Then you can bring her with you knowing that the salesperson is going to show her rings you can live with. I know that sounds a little sneaky, but its a good way to ensure she gets a ring she loves and you aren't regretting it for the next 10 years.

I was very lucky. My wife cares nothing about jewelry. We went together. I got her a ring much nicer than she really wanted. But my wifes not the norm.

Good luck!

i was able to get an interlocking pair. the engagement ring had the diamond and she basically wore it out of the store. the wedding ring part was a thinner accent ring that was put in place during the ceremony. after the wedding, the jeweler soddered (or something like soddering) the two rings together.

and like tarhog, my wife hooked me up. while she basically had her pick of rings, the one she liked was in the bottom half of the price range. granted she made up for it a bit with the diamond we put into the setting, but overall we both were happy with her selection.

Dude, just go out and pick a nice set. Don't go nuts spending money or don't go nuts trying to figure out what she wants or what she needs. It's just a RING, I got a very small diamond for my wife when we got married 13 years ago. It was all I could afford. She married me for me not for what type or size ring I could get her. Today I can afford MUCH more but she won't let me take it and trade it in for a bigger one. She said, " That's the ring you gave to me when you asked me to marry you. That's the ring I'm gonna die wearing."

so is it a good idea for me to take her to the store and say show me what you like or is that a no no?

This is just my opinion and I'm sure others may have good reasons for doing the opposite, but I think that YOU should pick out the ring that you think is special and present it to her when you propose.

Sure, the down side is that there may be a ring she might like better, but that's not the point. The point is you want to marry the woman and spend your lives together, in my opinion and in my wife's opinion, it is more special for the guy to do the choosing and suprise the would be wife. My wife was very critical of a friend of hers that insisted that she pick out her own ring.

Besides, youre going to have anniversaries down the line that she can pick out a different ring.

Eviil Genius, $5,000 is actually not a good diamond. In choosing a diamond look for size, cut and clarity in all respects. It is better to have a smaller diamond with better clarity than a larger diamond with not much clarity. Ask a jeweler and I don't mean Kay Jewelers to explain it to you.

Diamonds look better in a platinum setting, rather than yellow gold and white gold is crap! I was lucky enough to have my grandmothers diamond which was 1.5 carats and excellent brilliance. I added 6 other smaller diamonds (3 on each side of the diamond).

The wedding band tends to be simple so you don't take anything away from the engagement ring. Also avoid channel rings whenever possible, because the prongs need to be checked quite frequently.

Since you are in the local area - relatively - I would suggest you take a trip to Mervis' in Rockville - well worth the trip, if for nothing else but the education. They are also very creative, and can make anything you want (in case you already have a design in mind). The cool thing is that you don't get a high pressure pitch to buy right then and there.

Mervis

Originally posted by SkinsFanMania

Eviil Genius, $5,000 is actually not a good diamond. In choosing a diamond look for size, cut and clarity in all respects. It is better to have a smaller diamond with better clarity than a larger diamond with not much clarity. Ask a jeweler and I don't mean Kay Jewelers to explain it to you.

Diamonds look better in a platinum setting, rather than yellow gold and white gold is crap! I was lucky enough to have my grandmothers diamond which was 1.5 carats and excellent brilliance. I added 6 other smaller diamonds (3 on each side of the diamond).

The wedding band tends to be simple so you don't take anything away from the engagement ring. Also avoid channel rings whenever possible, because the prongs need to be checked quite frequently.

I was making a joke...having just bought an engagement ring in the past 4 months, I am keenly aware of the prices.

Again, it was an attempt at being a wiseass...that failed. :gus:

Most have given you good advice overall Cleotis. Especially SkinsFanMania. In most cases, the stones in retail stores in the mall and whatnot are crap or, if they have a quality stone you'll pay through the nose for it.

I had an excellent experience with Bluenile.com . Their prices were quite good and most importantly, you pick the best quality stone you can afford and then you can put it in pretty much any setting they have. Either that, or you can just buy the stone and take it somewhere else and have it set.

I ended up buying my wife a 1.1ct stone that was of very good quality that I obsessed over literall for months. If I could have only afforded a stone half or even a quarter that size, I still would have bought her the best quality stone I could and size be d@mned.

Bear in mind though that in the end, the rings, wedding, and all that crap don't really matter a bit. What does is the woman. If you've picked the right one, she'll be happy with a napkin ring just to be married to you.

Best of luck, and congrats on your engagement.:applause:

Limon's Gems & Jewels has been around for many years. Bob Limon measured the hope diamond which is the largest diamond and is in the Smithsonian Institute. They are located on Norfolk Avenue in Bethesda.

After you purchase the stone, make sure you get good insurance and that is make sure if the stone is lost or chipped and diamonds do chip, that you can chose the stone to replace it. Most insurances and homeowners insurances will pick out a wholesale diamond to replace it.

Take my advice, I am in the insurance industry. Go with Chubb! It is a very inexpensive cost, that can save you thousands of dollars. My mother lost a ruby that came out of the setting and the Cliff Limon helped her chose a replacement at full replacement value. This should be insured the day the diamond is purchased and no later.

Archived