Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Great Outdoors Thread (Hunting, Fishing, Target/Skeet Shooting, Etc.)

Dont Taze Me Bro

So, I just started getting into target shooting and would like to discuss with my fellow ES peeps that enjoy that.  Wanted to start a thread separate from the Gun Control Debate thread as that's made to argue and discuss gun control and debate political stances.  So, I thought starting a Great Outdoors thread that would encompass target/range shooting with other activities such as hunting, fishing, skeet shooting, hiking, mountain climbing, etc.  

Have a place to recommend places to do those type events, show off or brag about that buck you shot during hunting season, or questions about target shooting (guns, ammo, etc.) or skeet shooting (best way to get started, recommendations - looking at you @LadySkinsFan ), etc.  

As far as my participation, I don't hunt and haven't fished in years.  But I love target shooting and am also interested in skeet shooting.  I just bought two semi-automatic rifles, one .223/5.56Nato and the other .22LR and tested them out for the first time.  Had a lot of fun, need to make some major adjustments as I had good groupings, but shot very poorly until the end.  Not missing the target, but hitting high and to the upper left corner.  This was all with shooting .223 rounds.  

My wife, she tore it up with the .22LR (I only shot four rounds of that - liked it too), she tore up the bulls eye and clearly kicked my ass.  Granted she got the easier one to shoot since she couldn't handle the .223 due to it being a lot heavier and uncomfortable for her to shoot.  Can't wait to get back and get better.

So, any skeet shooters out there?  Recommendations for a newb as far as which guns are the best to start with, etc. and if you don't mind including cost (for the guns, ammo, skeet targets, typical range costs, etc.) that would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, my dad was a VA state skeet shooting champion back in the 80s. IIRC, still holds the record for high overall, hitting 399/400 targets in the .410, 12, 20 and 28 gauges at one meet.  I think someone tied it a few years ago, no ones run a 400.  In his 70's, he still pretty adept.   I go out every once in awhile with him and hack around,  I could probably get really good at it if I wanted to but never had the desire to do it.   Not to blow my own horn, but I'm a pretty good natural shot.  But yeah, grew up around skeet shooting and bird hunting my whole life.  

As far as good places to go, local to the DMV in Virginia Bull Run has a really nice facility.  Good amount of skeet and trap ranges, they also have a nice 5 stand setup and my favorite, sporting clays.  https://www.novaparks.com/parks/bull-run-shooting-center

If you're on the Maryland side, PG has a good facility, too.  https://www.yelp.com/biz/prince-georges-county-trap-and-skeet-center-glenn-dale

Targets for these places are included in any costs.  Ammo should be anywhere from 5-8 bucks a box, I think.  Whenever I have to get shells I go to Dick's, I think their prices are pretty agreeable.  

@Spaceman Spiff  What manufacturer would you recommend for starting out?  Or does that even matter, just as long as it's 20 gauge?

@Chew  Welcome back broski!  Saw your responses in the RTT, bringing you over here for a couple of questions.  What brand/model is your AK-47?  What's the price like on those?  Under $1000?  I don't want to buy a poorly made one, but don't want to pay too much for something I might only shoot a few times a year.

16 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

@Spaceman Spiff  What manufacturer would you recommend for starting out?  Or does that even matter, just as long as it's 20 gauge?

@Chew  Welcome back broski!  Saw your responses in the RTT, bringing you over here for a couple of questions.  What brand/model is your AK-47?  What's the price like on those?  Under $1000?  I don't want to buy a poorly made one, but don't want to pay too much for something I might only shoot a few times a year.

I don't think manufacturer necessarily matters.  A shotgun is like anything else, it needs to fit well and feel good, like a golf club or a baseball bat.  You gotta make sure you can see down the sights correctly when you mount it (ie, pull it into your shoulder and bring it up to your cheek) and it feels good to swing.  If you plan on busting a lot of clays and spending a long time at the range, it better feel good to hold it.

I wouldn't go to Dick's for getting fitted for a gun and getting good insight on the right gun for you.  Take a trip out to Clark Brothers http://clarkbrosguns.com/ they'll probably have some good insight.  Fairfax Rod and Gun is a private club, IIRC, but you can probably go in there and get some good insight from the pro shop.  Those guys know what they're doing.  http://www.fxrgc.org/index.cfm?Section=1 

Jack Bart and his family are also really good instructors and outfitters.  http://www.onlinebarts.com/  They ran a store near Baltimore for a long time, not sure if it's still there.  Actually, I'd try them first.  

As far as brands go, can't go wrong with a Remington or a Browning.  If you've got deep pockets, roll with a Perazzi :) 

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I have a DDI (Destructive Devices Industries) Hammer forged Ak-47.  I've got about 800 rounds through it and only one minor malfunction when a round failed to load all the way.  DDI,  in my opinion, is a mid-tier manufacturer for AKs.  There's much cheaper, and much more expensive.  I think I paid about $750 for mine.  AR-15 is the same way, I paid $900 but you can easily spend over $2,500 or $500. As long as you keep your guns clean and oiled, they should work fine. 

What kind of rifle did you get? Sounds like the wife is a deadeye!  Careful, bro.  Trips to the range, rifle modifications, and casual gun talk with other shooters  can get addicting.  :) 

Some folks use 20 gauge for skeet shooting, but I just use my 12 gauges.  I use 9 shot, works fine.  But I'm with @Spaceman Spiff as far as shotguns go in general, brands don't really matter.  Unless you're planning on skeet shooting competitively or John Wick'ing your neighborhood anytime soon, any old pump will do.  I paid under $300 for my shotguns, one of which I've had for like 16 years now.  Never once malfunctioned.   

Out of curiosity (and possibly off-topic), do you have anything for home defense?  Cool idea for a thread, btw.  A "safe space" for us gun enthusiasts to chit chat without being tarred and feathered by the anti-gun crowd.  :P  I don't know nearly as much about guns as some of the folks on here, but I love talking about them. 

Right now for self defense I have a S&W Bodyguard revolver with laser sight .38 Special. My brother had a .357, loaded .357 for defense, used .38 Special for target practice.  Mine is a five shot.

I think some are buying .40 semi-automatic.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is it an AR?  What brand/model?  I say you said you were truggling at 5 yards?That seems very odd to struggle at that close of a range.

Yeah, Smith and Wesson M&P15.  Not making excuses, after talking to one of my friends about it, I think I know some contributing factors to my poor shooting at the start.  I was shooting right handed, but finding myself shooting with my left eye as opposed to my right eye. 

I have an eye disease that causes my vision to change, sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes it will stay the same for a year, or change again after a few months.  I wear contacts, so right now, it has changed since my last prescription and the one I'm wearing in that eye needs a stronger correction (so it got worse this time).  

Because it was giving me some issues, without even realizing it at the time, was switching to my right eye or with both open.  I also think my stance was not messed up too, now that I think about it.  Looking back, I think I might have been standing in a way where the barrel was pointing more towards the left and slightly up too.  I dunno, definitely not an expert lol  First time really shooting a semi-auto rifle, last time I shot a rifle it was bolt action .22 with a scope, like 15 yards out and I did fairly good.  Only semi-auto I've shot was my dad's glock 9mm, and I didn't seem to have any issues with that at the time.

6 minutes ago, Chew said:

I have a DDI (Destructive Devices Industries) Hammer forged Ak-47.  I've got about 800 rounds through it and only one minor malfunction when a round failed to load all the way.  DDI,  in my opinion, is a mid-tier manufacturer for AKs.  There's much cheaper, and much more expensive.  I think I paid about $750 for mine.  AR-15 is the same way, I paid $900 but you can easily spend over $2,500 or $500. As long as you keep your guns clean and oiled, they should work fine. 

What kind of rifle did you get? Sounds like the wife is a deadeye!  Careful, bro.  Trips to the range, rifle modifications, and casual gun talk with other shooters  can get addicting.  :) 

Some folks use 20 gauge for skeet shooting, but I just use my 12 gauges.  I use 9 shot, works fine.  But I'm with @Spaceman Spiff as far as shotguns go in general, brands don't really matter.  Unless you're planning on skeet shooting competitively or John Wick'ing your neighborhood anytime soon, any old pump will do.  I paid under $300 for my shotguns, one of which I've had for like 16 years now.  Never once malfunctioned.   

Out of curiosity (and possibly off-topic), do you have anything for home defense?  Cool idea for a thread, btw.  A "safe space" for us gun enthusiasts to chit chat without being tarred and feathered by the anti-gun crowd.  :P  I don't know nearly as much about guns as some of the folks on here, but I love talking about them. 

Smith and Wesson M&P 15 for both of them (.223/5.56nato and .22LR).  Yeah, already starting to add up, got a 2-9x scope, foregrip, bunch of extra mags, auto loaders, earmuffs, glasses (those were cheap though).  

I have a Remington 870 express pump action 12 gauge, black, 26" barrel (I think, bought it in 1999, can't remember lol) for home protection.  But am wanting to get a glock 9mm to keep in a small safe just for it in the nightstand.  Would be a biometric safe.  Which reminds me I have to drop more $$$ on a new biometric rifle safe.  

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Gotcha.  That makes sense the struggle then.  

Cool, so I'm not crazy lol.  I can honestly say it bothered the **** out of me, especially being that close.  And not my wife being able to put me to shame.  Because I knew something was way off and I had to be doing something wrong with my mechanics.  Then my buddy asked me about which handed I was and which eye I was using and it started making sense.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'd find someone experienced and invite them to the range with you.  They should be able to help you at least fix the basics.

It's funny, cause in all honesty, I never really rec'd that much training on rifles.  But my wife's dad taught her how to shoot, starting at age 8.  Now my dad showed me how to fire guns, focused more on the safety aspect of it, would line me up right, etc., but this was when I was like 20+ years old.  The lack of teaching at an early age is because he got rid of all his guns when I was born, then got back into hunting when I was in college.  I don't hunt at all, so there wasn't any real interest from me to target shoot back then or practice, etc. and after community college, I moved away from home to go to UNCC so I was rarely back home.

I did target shoot in Boy Scouts, but it was at a range, laying prone too.  Outside of that, I'd just fire off some rounds of my dads guns at my papaw's house in the country or at an outdoor range with him prior to his hunting trips (back in college).  So, just in sport from time to time, not really being interested in how well I did.  It was just fun to squeeze off some rounds.

As I'm older, it's something I want to take time to learn correctly and improve on it.  Actually, just was talking with my wife about it and she said my stance was all jacked up, but she didn't think about telling me at the range, it was something she realized more after the fact.  Next trip, I'm going to focus on what I know I did wrong and hopefully improve.  

Depending on how interested you are, you could always hire someone to teach you.  I have heard that the people that don't have experience are the easiest to teach because you don't already have bad habits to break.  My sister went to USMC boot camp having never fired a gun and left with their expert ribbon (and a broken him but that's another story).

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Depending on how interested you are, you could always hire someone to teach you.  I have heard that the people that don't have experience are the easiest to teach because you don't already have bad habits to break.  My sister went to USMC boot camp having never fired a gun and left with their expert ribbon (and a broken him but that's another story).

We are going to put our daughter in a class with one of the trainers recommended by the range.  He teaches concealed carry classes there and also teaches children/kids, supposed to be really great with kids and very knowledgeable.  Hopefully he teaches adults too, if not, I'll just sit-in with her and watch when we take her.

I got into fishing years ago and really enjoy it. Bass on the Potomac and lakes in MoCo mostly, as well as stocked trout in lakes and streams in MoCo and PG. I was lucky to have a friend show me what to do and where to do it. Bought a compound bow last year but still have to take it to a shop to get it tuned. However, I know nothing about archery, so that should be an adventure. Apparently, you have to use a shotgun instead of a rifle to hunt deer in MoCo, so I'm looking into getting a Remington 870 Express combo, cause it comes with a 26" barrel for waterfowl and a 20" barrel for deer. However, I also know nothing about hunting/shooting. The people I've met fishing have tried to get me to join the Isaac Walton league, but I'm pretty lazy and anti-social. I'm glad you started this thread cause hopefully it will give me an avenue to expand my knowledge.

I don't hunt at all.  Not because I have some moral objection or anything.  I just have no interest in sitting quietly in the woods.  And cleaning the animals looks gross.

Fishing on the hand is my game.  Grew up fishing the Chesapeake.  I still want to go back one year for trophy rockfish season.  Thing I loved the most about Pensacola was the fishing.  Such a better selection of fish.  My wife used to get quite upset with me when I would take a day off work and take the boat 25+ miles out by myself to go fishing.  But our freezer was always full.

I like fishing, streams and lakes!mostly. One of my great uncles raised cattle, and he had a raised pond that he stocked with blue gills. This was in PA. Those little fish are really too small to eat (have to catch a mess of them!), but they are feisty and fun to catch and release.

• 1 month later...

Looking to get some custom grips.  I prefer to not get any with that thumb groove cut into it like the ones on the G10 grips.  It will be for a 1911 full size and I'd like for them to be good quality.  I'm open to wood, metal, etc.  It would be for one with this color steel:

Competition SS (45ACP)

The thumb groove annoys me as I have big hands and it doesn't fit right for my thumb.  Any suggestions?

Edit:  Oh and as cool as 10,000 year old wooly mammoth ivory grips look, I'm not looking to drop that much $$$ on grips :806:   I'd say in the range of $150 or less. 

Stances: there is only one correct stance and that is whatever stance works for you.  1.   Is it comfortable? 2. Can you get accurate fires out of it? 3. Is it repeatable?  Sure there are circumstances where one is better than the other, but the above was what I taught my soldiers and never had any issues.  Unless you’re taking down houses containing isis in an Israeli rolling T, the above 3 questions work for most people.  

Archived