Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN: There's an obscure Monopoly rule that changes the whole game..

nonniey

1 minute ago, HOF44 said:

I have seen this game create huge animosity!!! People sometimes hate each other for a long time after playing.  

I'm not sure if it's safe yet to bring up the incident in 1979 when I relied on my older sister's support to take Sweden but betrayed her over the Ukraine which she lost.

That was the last time we played the game as a family.

Is it sad to admit I read a book on Monopoly strategy when I was in high school? This was pre internet days, so books from the library is all we had. I had a long road trip and grabbed to book and read it. If I recall, it still didn’t help me beat my friend who was just smarter and better than me.

Anyway, this rule was something I never used when playing the board game. But it was a part of every video game version of monopoly I played. 

5 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Monopoly teaches you more about life than the game LIFE does or any other board-game.

with monopoly you learn: deal making, jail sentences, property development, how evil your brother really is, how to be conned, cheating, corruptness, money management, never trust bankers, taxes, real estate management, having a baby costs at least 10% of your entire net worth. etc..

Well yeah, I mean the game was created to teach about the dangers of monopolies and big business.

As a game, it has a lot of design flaws.

I was aware of this rule but our family has only recently started the game, my kids are five and seven.  Always played with the free parking lottery when I was a kid.  I get that it isn't a rule, but as someone else said, there's no point to the space otherwise.

Last week, my five year old son traded his red property to his seven year old sister for $55, completing the set for her, because he "liked the color of the bills."

11 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

How do you guys handle when someone runs out of money and has to pay someone for hotels?

Suppose he has like $100 dollars and he has to pay $2000.  Do you guys give the other players the properties u own or sell them back to the bank?

Give the players the property

Archived