Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins reportedly to sign RB Bryon Marshall from Philly

MCnDaHouse

5'9 and 201lbs - Seems like he's more in the CT mould than anything - certainly not a Power Back. 4.56 40 time so he's not really a burner either. Probably just PS fodder but may get a couple of carries as I guess he's active until Fat Rob comes back.

Couple of points worth noting from the article on WaPo - He played WR at Oregon as well as RB. He returned a couple of kicks for the Eagles. Rushed for over 1000 as a junior and got over 1000 receiving in his sophomore year (First PAC-12 player to record 1000+ in both categories).

Watched a youtube montage of his college highlights - looks to have pretty good instincts as a Receiver and athletic enough to make plays - Looks shifty in the run game and can make guys miss, but nothing that really blows you away.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/11/14/redskins-to-sign-rb-byron-marshall-off-the-eagles-practice-squad/?utm_term=.2b412a951984

Two things we don't care about, but coaches do. How is his pass pro, and how quickly can he learn the playbook?

It's no coincidence he is cut from the CT mold, as I take this to mean CT is going to get an increased workload, and Marshall is actually his backup more than Perine.  There was a game we assumed Perine would start with Kelley injured. Nope, it was CT.  I think if Marshall shows well in practice, that we can expect CT to get the start vs the Saints.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-byron-marshall-running-back-training-camp-waiting-game-20170830.html

It wasn’t necessarily meant for Marshall to be undrafted out of Oregon in 2016 after a three-season career in which he became the first Pac-12 back to rush and receive for 1,000 yards each. He eventually totaled 3,170 yards from scrimmage and was projected as a fifth- or sixth-round draft pick, but he  broke his ankle four games into his final college season and fell off the radar a bit. He wasn’t invited to the scouting combine but ran well at Oregon’s pro day, showing the burst that had made him a 60-meter medalist at the national indoor championships while he was in high school in San Jose, Calif. Marshall did slip through the draft anyway, but he was signed by the Eagles immediately afterward.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/4/25/15427632/eagles-byron-marshall-position-running-back-wide-receiver-oregon-ducks-philadelphia-depth-chart

For more on Marshall, check out this insight from an Oregon Ducks writer.

The pure versatility has to be Marshall's biggest strong suit. Not very often do you see a 1,000 rusher transform themselves in an off season into a 1,000 receiver. He's a very unselfish player who was willing to put the team needs first over his own. Obviously this paid off as often during the championship game run, he was Marcus Mariota's go to guy.

As a receiver, Marshall has very good hands and a solid ability to make grabs with body control. As a runner he is able to use his size to shift through gaps and break in the next level. I really like him in the screen game and think that he can do a good job filling in that role.

I'd like to see a burner on this team.  Perine, Kelley, not much of a difference.  I love Thompson but he's more of a pass catching threat than a true runner.

Not gonna find a guy this late in the season who's a home run threat but moving forward it'd be really nice if we had a running back that could put some fear in a defense.

4 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Weird replacement for a power back. 

Yeah it's almost like they don't really know what kind of back they're looking for. At least Shanahan had a system and certain guys would just magically fit and produce in that system, now we're just grabbing at random pieces and seeing whether they fit into the hole, or not. 

I'm going to wager on NOT. Seems kinda predictable. 

I'm sure he'll do more than a guy SM would have brought in though. :chair:

20 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Two things we don't care about, but coaches do. How is his pass pro, and how quickly can he learn the playbook?

It's no coincidence he is cut from the CT mold, as I take this to mean CT is going to get an increased workload, and Marshall is actually his backup more than Perine.  There was a game we assumed Perine would start with Kelley injured. Nope, it was CT.  I think if Marshall shows well in practice, that we can expect CT to get the start vs the Saints.

Could be wrong, but I thought Gruden had annointed Perine the starter in Fat Rob's absence? I'm sure I read somewhere that he said it in post-game interview or something? I thought Perine did OK on Sunday to be fair to him, but the game where CT got an increased workload, he got something like 180+ yards so I'd be happy to see him starting.

1 hour ago, UKskins said:

Could be wrong, but I thought Gruden had annointed Perine the starter in Fat Rob's absence? I'm sure I read somewhere that he said it in post-game interview or something? I thought Perine did OK on Sunday to be fair to him, but the game where CT got an increased workload, he got something like 180+ yards so I'd be happy to see him starting.

Thanks for sharing.  I would love for Perine to start and grab the bulls by the horn and seize the job. But I seem to remember about 6 weeks ago, versus KC I think it was, and everyone also thought Perine would start. 

It was CT.  Not that it's that big a deal, as the bigger thing to track is snaps and touches, but hey, we all get wrapped up in who starts after watching decades of games on TV where they only tell you who plays for the first snap. They even record the players telling us where they went to college, as they are getting subbed out for the 2nd play.

I have seen a few times this year where Jay has tried a little gamemanship. I hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag.... Jay they are already talking about it on the internets.... abort!!!

Archived