Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

4 hours ago, freakofthesouth said:

-I am in total agreement, all trades aside, that we should go BPA in the draft but also balance it with need.  so totally I think the positions mostly to be considered will be DT/WR/OG/CB.  Dont get me wrong, if Saquan falls to 13, its a no brainer.  I also love me some Roquan.

-OG interior, given the immediate hole where a starter should be, they would have to gamble to hope that a starting quality OG would fall to them in the 2nd.  This would be best case scenario but that pick will have multiple options for immediate starters also at DT and RB and CB.  OG is a little on the thin side in terms of starting material.

I haven't looked at much OL, or specifically OT's.  But supposedly this draft is a bit thin there.  Matt Miller from Bleacher Report thinks as many as 5 Guards or Centers could go in the 1st round.

From what I've seen, I think Isaiah Wynn could be really good.  LT in college, moving to Guard in the pro's, can do everything well.  He's got really quick feet and resets his base fast.  He can get out and readjust to what's happening because he's so light on his feet.  I think he's this drafts version of Zach Martin in 2014.  Guy who rises in the draft and then eventually gets picked in the mid-1st.

4 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

Here is the thing with the WR's though. We are going to have to address it somewhat via FA due to not having any. We have Crowder, Doctson, Davis, and Mo Harris. Thats it. We need a vet on there probably two. I could see them resigning Grant but then we need another vet to start. We are going to have to spend money even though the crop is not that good. Perhaps they do a trade like Cravens for a WR but who knows. What we really need to do is trade that 13 pick and nab extra picks. I would even trade out of the first all together. Reason being is there is so much talent in the later rounds this year in multiple spots that one stud pick at 13 will not overcome multiple 2nd rounders and a 3rd tossed in. Not in this class at least. Too much to be had this year in the second especially at spots of need for our team.

I think it all depends on how they feel about their youth at the position, specifically, J Doc.  If they feel as though he is ready to carry the torch as the lead guy then it's not such a need to add someone that is a vet.  I think they probably will resign Grant... and given the cap situation, I mean, i dont know, seems like a lot of money for WRs that no one really wants.  I don't really think we *have* to sign FA WRs...  we very well might do that... and im sure it will be for the right reasons... but it is a matter of upside and we've seen what these FAs can do in the NFL.  I'm all for the trade down though, just really evaluating and thinking about the big picture in terms of what the team needs, what the team has, and what the team can afford.

@Alcoholic Zebra I agree that Isiah Wynn would be a great get but he's more of 1st-2nd round projection I think.  Plus Gruden didn't love taking Sherff a few years back so early.  Not saying they wont but thats a reach where they are at now... and yes he and Hernendez and Billy price are all trending up.  Given the lack of supply in the FA market I think the position becomes more valuable in the draft.  Look for WR to do the same given the market and Landry's tag etc.  That said, I dont think we can rely on one of them dropping to the 2nd round to fill a gaping need.  I think we can cover DT/WR early, also with the possibility of RB mixed in there, and CB- I think we'd have to make a play in FA for an OG.

and ILB.  Because there's no guarantee that Roquan is gonna be there at 13.  and if we dont get someone, then what?  a lot of the draft is playing the probabilities I would think, so where there is supply there is a chance to fill the axe wounds the team currently has in the lineup.  Multiple FA options for DT, ILB, even CB tho expensive... OG not so much, but some options... Spencer Long, Mewhort, Pugh, Norwell too though he has a conservative est annual salary at over 11mil.  so yeah, thats a lot of money on OGs!!

@freakofthesouthgood post.  I agree about ILB - we can get a decent one without breaking the bank.  Only way I see them avoiding it is if they think Spaight or Vigil are fine to start (not my opinion), the other wins the backup spot, and they look to the draft and UDFA for a 4th/5th.  

Re. receiver, I think I would go for a cheaper Brian Quick like signing and see what the draft brings.  I was bummed we ‘lost’ Hazel last year - maybe they can find a comparable guy in UDFA too.  

Your line about DT/WR early, and maybe back and corner too, is exactly why I hope we trade down.  Especially since I’m thinking TE somewhere in the 3rd-5th, and we may lose out on a reasonable G in FA.  

Sign a reasonable ILB and WR (maybe just Grant) a cheaper OLB, a higher tier G or DT/NT, and maybe a slot corner (and G/C if we opt for DT).  Then see what the draft brings.  Probably pushing it in terms of cap

While we may not get a chance on the guy I would prefer, I have about 4 favorites (there is actually another one but I would be VERY worried if he fell that far), know that there are a couple of QBs and also like the idea of a trade down.  I strongly suspect that there will be one of my favorites available or a favorable trade down might be available.

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not a single compensatory pick for us, as expected and as per usual

Not exactly sure what cancels out what, but if we had made no FA signings last off-season, I think we would've gotten a 3rd and 4th.

Galette, Long, Lauvao, Breeland, Brown, and Cousins could all leave and net us some compensatory picks.  Or we could be active in FA and that would void it.  It's a difficult decision.

Look at the teams who got 3rd rounders, key players lost to big deals. I would wager those teams would still prefer to have the players.

Kirk will get us pick number #97 in the 2019 draft. It's a wash, not sure what the the big drama is over comp picks. More picks, great, there is usuallly a significant trade off that talent has walked 12 months earlier. 

22 hours ago, freakofthesouth said:

I think it all depends on how they feel about their youth at the position, specifically, J Doc.  If they feel as though he is ready to carry the torch as the lead guy then it's not such a need to add someone that is a vet.  I think they probably will resign Grant... and given the cap situation, I mean, i dont know, seems like a lot of money for WRs that no one really wants.  I don't really think we *have* to sign FA WRs...  we very well might do that... and im sure it will be for the right reasons... but it is a matter of upside and we've seen what these FAs can do in the NFL.  I'm all for the trade down though, just really evaluating and thinking about the big picture in terms of what the team needs, what the team has, and what the team can afford.

@Alcoholic Zebra I agree that Isiah Wynn would be a great get but he's more of 1st-2nd round projection I think.  Plus Gruden didn't love taking Sherff a few years back so early.  Not saying they wont but thats a reach where they are at now... and yes he and Hernendez and Billy price are all trending up.  Given the lack of supply in the FA market I think the position becomes more valuable in the draft.  Look for WR to do the same given the market and Landry's tag etc.  That said, I dont think we can rely on one of them dropping to the 2nd round to fill a gaping need.  I think we can cover DT/WR early, also with the possibility of RB mixed in there, and CB- I think we'd have to make a play in FA for an OG.

and ILB.  Because there's no guarantee that Roquan is gonna be there at 13.  and if we dont get someone, then what?  a lot of the draft is playing the probabilities I would think, so where there is supply there is a chance to fill the axe wounds the team currently has in the lineup.  Multiple FA options for DT, ILB, even CB tho expensive... OG not so much, but some options... Spencer Long, Mewhort, Pugh, Norwell too though he has a conservative est annual salary at over 11mil.  so yeah, thats a lot of money on OGs!!

*If I had MY 'druthers', I'd scoop-up LT(Projected as LG) Isaiah Wynn #72, Georgia Bulldogs, to Play next to ' The SilverBack (Trent Williams)'!!!

*Think: LT Trent Williams... LG Isaiah Wynn... C Chase Roullier... RG Brandon Scherreff... RT Morgan Moses...(NASTY)!!!

1 hour ago, OlufemiBiz said:

*If I had MY 'brother's, I'd scoop-up LT(Projected as LG) Isaiah Wynn #72, Georgia Bulldogs, to Play next to ' The SilverBack (Trent Williams)'!!!

The word you are thinking of is "druthers".  If you had your druthers, the Skins would have some brothers on the left side.

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not exactly sure what cancels out what, but if we had made no FA signings last off-season, I think we would've gotten a 3rd and 4th.

Galette, Long, Lauvao, Breeland, Brown, and Cousins could all leave and net us some compensatory picks.  Or we could be active in FA and that would void it.  It's a difficult decision.

It was cause we signed Pryor and Quick. Ugh, just makes you wonder if you have a shred of doubt in a FA signing to replace someone legit you lost. Is if worth not getting a pick to potentially sign a guy that does nothing for you..Obviously hindsight shows here we were probably better off not addressing WR in FA and just going with what we had..

This sucks, not only do we have less picks, but we're in the worst spot of being a middle of the road team and no sign of us making a huge splash and improving..This isn't good at all, trying to play this out in the hopes of improving has shown in the past with many teams it never works out.. You either get ready blow it up and rebuild IMMEDIATELY or drag it on for years and have a repeat of the Zorn era.

Retweet

Direct message
75YwXTCb_bigger.jpgBenjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL
FollowingFollowing @AllbrightNFL
More
Replying to @PatsNationPS4

There are several other teams who have their scouts raving about him, including Washington

JP Finlay Retweeted Benjamin Allbright

Said this before Senior Bowl.

JP Finlay added,

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Retweet

Direct message
75YwXTCb_bigger.jpgBenjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL
FollowingFollowing @AllbrightNFL
More
Replying to @PatsNationPS4

There are several other teams who have their scouts raving about him, including Washington

JP Finlay Retweeted Benjamin Allbright

Said this before Senior Bowl.

JP Finlay added,

If not Mayfield, then Lauletta.  Hoping so anyway.

just listened to a podcast from Matt Miller from BR, if I recall according to the web site that tracks this stuff he had the 5th most accurate mock last year.   He goes the Redskins in his view probably has the worst FO in the NFL and is unlikely to get it right.  But then he did a mock for the Redskins

1. Roquan Smith.  2 Harrison Phillips.  4th Deshon Elliot  5th Mike White  6th Darrus Phillips 7th Justin Crawford

Direct message
  2.  Matt Miller Retweeted

"This is the front office I have the LEAST faith in, in the entire NFL"

4 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

The word you are thinking of is "druthers".  If you had your druthers, the Skins would have some brothers on the left side.

*"I think 'Auto-Incorrect' caused that Grammatical/Typographical Error...

Thanks for Your Input, Brother!

'HAIL'!"

?????✍️?✊??

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

just listened to a podcast from Matt Miller from BR, if I recall according to the web site that tracks this stuff he had the 5th most accurate mock last year.   He goes the Redskins in his view probably has the worst FO in the NFL and is unlikely to get it right.  But then he did a mock for the Redskins

1. Roquan Smith.  2 Harrison Phillips.  4th Deshon Elliot  5th Mike White  6th Darrus Phillips 7th Justin Crawford

Direct message
  2.  Matt Miller Retweeted

"This is the front office I have the LEAST faith in, in the entire NFL"

*"Western Michigan Broncos CB/KR/PR/WR, DARIUS PHILLIPS, is 'DAT DUDE'!!! DAAAAAAAYYYUUUMMM!!!"

*How 'bout West Virginia Mountaineers RB, JUSTIN CRAWFORD (aka: 'Slippery Jack' - MY Nickname for Him)?!? Dude ran for WELL OVER 330 YARDS, against the Oklahoma Sooners!!!"

*Speaking of WVU:

How 'bout WR MARIO ALFORD?!?

18 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@freakofthesouthgood post.  I agree about ILB - we can get a decent one without breaking the bank.  Only way I see them avoiding it is if they think Spaight or Vigil are fine to start (not my opinion), the other wins the backup spot, and they look to the draft and UDFA for a 4th/5th.  

Re. receiver, I think I would go for a cheaper Brian Quick like signing and see what the draft brings.  I was bummed we ‘lost’ Hazel last year - maybe they can find a comparable guy in UDFA too.  

Your line about DT/WR early, and maybe back and corner too, is exactly why I hope we trade down.  Especially since I’m thinking TE somewhere in the 3rd-5th, and we may lose out on a reasonable G in FA.  

Sign a reasonable ILB and WR (maybe just Grant) a cheaper OLB, a higher tier G or DT/NT, and maybe a slot corner (and G/C if we opt for DT).  Then see what the draft brings.  Probably pushing it in terms of cap

I think it's tough for the FO to give ZB a lot of money when he doesn't really scheme and call the plays and the audibles, hence the Mason Foster signing, and look Foster played great and with a separated shoulder for a bit so that dude is fantastic.  Not the most athletically gifted MLB but I like him.  Gruden has said 'we have LBs' so this will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I loved ZB though and his fit in the offense as a sideline to sideline banger worked last season, it seemed to me.

Trading down again would be great, but assuming we stand pat, I think we'd have to get a DT in the 1st two rounds.  I have heard some criticism of Vea to be honest in a sense that teams are looking for a different sort of skillset from that interior DL.  Again this is J Allen in some ways, versatile and game changer.  Give him one more guy next to him who can be a factor and J Allen will be a superstar, he may already be.  we crushed that pick last year with him and he will show redskins nation how our d line is actually pretty dang good.   That said I love the upside of a Taven Bryan/Harrison Phillips/Tim Settle/Trenton Thompson in the 2nd, but Tomsula could have his eye on a later guy that he can bring along; the propensity for the coaches to develop raw talent should be factored in to how they use draft assets.

@freakofthesouthI would like to have Brown back, I hope they’re telling him to test the market (because outright paying him 7+ isn’t a good move), but are also saying they want him back.  Hope they’re telling Galette the same.  The supposed lack of contact between us and Galette/Murphy is concerning to me... telling them you’re interested seems like a no brainer.  There are other ILBs out there though that could challenge for Brown’s spot.  

Agree about Dline - I like a few in the first couple rounds.  I’ve said all along that FA might make the most sense, but either way, I want a guy that could play both NT and DT.  Players seem to agree that we need a NT (but we also need a capable backup/sub to Allen and Ioannidas).  Wouldn’t be surprised if we went cheaper in FA (like Beau Allen) as it 1) fits the FO’s MO, and 2) opens up the draft a bit - not feeling we have to take one in the 1st/2nd.  Wonder if Hood and McClain fight for the last dline spot.  

And by the way, Allen has a stud next to him in Ioannidas, but we saw what happened when they went down... when he returned, Ioannidas played well without Allen, but he needed a better player next to him.  

@skinny21 fo sho.  I follow Chad Forbes on the twitter, and he states that Trent Murphy is a "lock" to go to Green Bay.  this would be a bummer because Trent did great before he was injured but he did always seem like, slow, to me.  With the rise of Ryan Anderson who again I have a lot of faith in, it'll be interesting to see how the young talent steps up and what other talent leaves the building.

I'm pretty sure I'm right there with you in saying that the best way to fill the gap at DT is to bring someone in via FA.  there are a number of options there. I heard Sheldon Richardson may not be tagged so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out there.  Cutting McClain should happen, he is making way too much money for what he's contributing.  I like McGee for depth tho.  Ideally i say add a guy via FA who can come in and be a difference maker as a vet day 1, and then draft a guy in the later round that can be a project for Tomsula.  Like maybe Lotululei?  Seems like he has the tools but hasn't put it all together yet, but also has the pedigree.  I also dig on D Senat as well though he's more like a mid rounder.

and love me some Ianidis.  can never spell his name tho.  great example of a 5th (?) rounder developed and now making an impact.  love this.

I dont know much about Bea Allen but there are for sure a number of options.  Im intrigued by D Easley, if he could only stay healthy, thats a young talent with upside, though I concede I dont know much about him, have only heard a little.

Beau Allen would be an upgrade at NT, but he plays DT too.  He wouldn’t unseat Allen or Ioannidas, and I think that’s a good thing.  He would up the depth there though.  I like the idea of Richardson or Logan, but then I feel like you’d want to use Ioannidas as a rotational DT, which sort of wastes his talent, if you know what I mean.  Of course, having 3 very good DTs would be pretty sweet.  

3 hours ago, freakofthesouth said:

@skinny21 fo sho.  I follow Chad Forbes on the twitter, and he states that Trent Murphy is a "lock" to go to Green Bay.  this would be a bummer because Trent did great before he was injured but he did always seem like, slow, to me. 

JP Finlay said a couple of times including yesterday that from what he's heard they haven't even talked to Trent's agent.   Sounds like what we heard last year relating to Garcon and Baker -- no talks by now likely means they will let him go.  Galette said the FO told him they will let him hit FA.

Seems like most of the FAs we have are going to be set free.  If so, that puts extra burden on a draft especially one missing a third rounder.  I wonder if that lends to them trying to trade down to help meet multiple needs.

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

JP Finlay said a couple of times including yesterday that from what he's heard they haven't even talked to Trent's agent.   Sounds like what we heard last year relating to Garcon and Baker -- no talks by now likely means they will let him go.  Galette said the FO told him they will let him hit FA.

Seems like most of the FAs we have are going to be set free.  If so, that puts extra burden on a draft especially one missing a third rounder.  I wonder if that lends to them trying to trade down to help meet multiple needs.

One would think SIP but they have money for FA and they will spend it to fill some of their needs.  We sit in a prime position at #13 to get possibly both of the Bills 1st or one of their 1st and their 2nd round pick.  The we could move down with our 2nd round pick and acquire more picks and recoup our 3rd.  We just have to have an excellent draft and that won't be known until this time next year.  

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the sense we are going to be very active in FA and the draft, in respect of moving around, trading players, picks etc. I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

With regards to Trent M, he can go for my money. Prior to being caught juiced up he was average. Damaged goods who is more likely average than great.

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Or, since we don't really have that much cap to play with (contrary to many people's beliefs), they will dedicate what they have to a couple of shiny new toys, rather than keeping our own. I could see a big-name WR, another RB and then a cheap OL and LB. And then hoping a couple of our FAs find no market and come back for cheap (which could happen with Murphy and Grant, but I don't think there's a chance of with Galette and Brown).

Archived