Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PC Gaming and Build Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Great timing, I'm getting close to building a pc. I currently have a five year old all-in-one but ready to get back into some moderate gaming.

I already have a Corsair Graphite 600T case that I bought a few years ago and never used. I'm very much into color themes and this build will be white and black, like the Corsair pc case itself. This will be a requirement of the mobo too - both Asus and ASRock have these.

However, I would love an open-air case. Thermaltake has a stunning white one with the Core P3 Snow but it's designed toward water cooling (which I have zero experience in).

Got everything installed, it turned on and no display on my monitor.  Black screen, no signal.  I connected it via HDMI from the motherboard and not the video card.  I shut it down and looked again inside, all the connections are still there, nothing came lose.  The RAM I put in the suggested slots if only using 2 modules (A2 and B2).  

I can't get anything to work, no bios screen comes up.  When I put in the Windows 10 disc and restart it, nothing.  When I put in the MSI motherboard disc, nothing.  Case fans, etc. and led lights are working.  I'm pretty pissed off right now.  Should I try to hook up the monitor via VGA cable?  Or try to hook the HDMI cable directly to the video card?

I'm so lost right now.  

13 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Well there's your problem.  Hook it up to the vidya card.

Did that and it took a few mins and then I finally got some message that popped up saying to power down and connect the pci power cords to my video card.  Which was on as it was lit up inside.  I rebooted, now its just sitting at a black screen again.  Right before I switched the HDMI connection to the vid card, I went back and made sure all the connections were tight.

I kept getting the same message:  Power Down and Connect The PCIe Power Cable(s) For This Graphics Card

Maybe I'm tired, I dunno, but the video cards led lights were on so it threw me off.  I unplugged everything, opened the case again and the power cables were secure to the PSU.  I unplugged the two cables from the video card and re-plugged them in.  So the card I have has one 6 pin slot and one 8 pin slot.  The power cables that came with the PSU had one side with 8 pins (to the PSU) and the other side split off with one being 6 pin and a 2 pin.  It came with three of those cables.

So I reconnected putting the 6 pin and 2 pin into the 8 pin slot on the video card (like I was supposed to and had it before) and the other cable just the 6 pin into the 6 pin slot (like before).  But this time I noticed that the 2 pin was sticking out slightly higher that the 6pin beside it.  Finally got it to lock down and click.  

All that worrying...........and it boiled down to not seeing one connection just slightly be off (it was so close you almost couldn't see it).  Plugged it back in and bios started right up.  Rebooted with the Windows 10 disc and it started right up installing.  So, I'm extremely happy and relieved at the same time that it works.

All that is left now is to go back and connect the SATA connection for the hard drive I'll be storing everything on.  Fans are running, cpu cooler is running.  Keyboard and mouse working, etc.  One thing I'll point out in regards to the CPU Cooler installation.  Make sure you pay attention to where the cpu fan connection is on your motherboard before installing it.  I got the heat sink installed over the CPU and went to put the fan in the middle and the cpu fan connection was underneath the heat sink and could not be reached.  

I had to uninstall it, then reinstall it in the other direction.  One tip, go ahead and hook up the noise reduction cable to the fan, then the fan to the CPU fan connection on the motherboard and lay it on the case out of the way.  Then install the heat sink.  Also, another dumb moment tonight, for some reason where the cpu cooler was to be installed, when I took out the factory clips that are around the CPU, all of the sudden the holes were huge and I couldn't find any screw holes.  

Turns out, there was a plate on the back of the motherboard that had the screw holes on it and it had fallen into the back of the case.  Needless to say, that freaked me out cause I thought I had a faulty motherboard and would have to unhook everything and send it back :rofl89: But I only had to take off the other side of the case and put it back on.  

This has been a fun experience.  Mad props and thanks to @PokerPacker for giving me the build and helping me out with questions.  Thanks to @dfitzo53 for answering my questions today and @mattsb84 for the heads up on the Windows 10 installation.  

Image result for yo adrian i did it animated gif

12 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Welcome to the fun! There always seems to be at least one little wrinkle with every build. 

Yeah, I tried to be as careful and patient as I could, double/triple checking everything.  Then just a few dumb errors and overlooking one 2 pin connection.  So, at the end of the day, I'll take the W, could have been a lot worse.  Just looking at the bios disc, so many drivers/programs to install, don't know which ones I need and don't need lol.  

Next time I build a PC, or start upgrading this one, I'm gonna get a nicer, larger case that gives plenty of room to work with excellent cable management.  The deepcool Kendomen was ok and I like it, but it did feel cramped at times.  Taking out the middle drive cage gave me a lot of space to route cables through, so that did help a little.  I've got two case fans that need to be hooked up, the positioning of the cords and connectors left them hanging.  

Case is running cool with good air flow though.  My GPU was at 21-23 degrees, granted, it wasn't pushing any games.  I enjoyed it, it's a great feeling of accomplishment compared to buying a pre-built (which there is nothing wrong with that - all my past PCs were pre-built).  

Don't sweat temps too much.  They're overemphasized by a lot of people.  As long as they're within acceptable limits and your fan isn't driving you crazy, it doesn't really matter whether your GPU is running at 45 or 75 degrees, and GPUs can usually tolerate higher heat than CPUs.

If you can catch a sale, the Fractal Design cases are a really nice combination of clean aesthetic, good workspace and quiet.

This thread makes me miss those days :(

Eventually I'll have to either get a console or build a pc. I'll want the pc for me because I've never really filly embraced consoles, they're so limiting, but I imagine the kids will want a console.

One day. In the meantime I enjoy reading this and being jealous.

CyberpowerPC is also a good option if don't want to mess around with building it yourself. They aren't charging you much for the building part either. Only difference really for $1500 is you are getting a 1080 instead of 1080ti just looking at it. You can also pick the parts you want off the baseline builds so could probably squeeze a 1080ti in there for not much more if made some adjustments. 

Im about to upgrade at Christmas too since I got a 4K tv. Everything is coming to PC now and I want to max everything. Also can't wait for the next big Star Citizen build 3.0 that will probably release around Christmas. Game looks so freaking awesome and I'm already in with a Connie Aquila and Super Hornet.

Grats on the build. It's a heck of a lot fun and satisfying building them, minus wrinkles. Having spacious case, makes one wonder how Dell or whoever can do those tight fits on their cases.

I've used CyberpowerPC before as well, mainly for laptops.

Archived