Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going to Training Camp vs. Practice in Ashburn

Riggins Seventy Chip

Hi All,

I went to training camp last year with my son and had an awesome time.  This year, our schedule is a little tight and it will be difficult, though not impossible to get there.  I have never been to a Redskins practice in Ashburn and I know there is time when training camp is over and they are training in Ashburn before the season starts which will work out much better for us.  My question is for fans that have been to both:  How do the experiences compare and will there be autograph signing at a typical Ashburn practice?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I don't think the practices in ashburn (once training camp ends in Richmond) are open to the public. 

No they aren't.

Once training camp closes up shop here in Richmond, and the Redskins return to Ashburn, the practices will become more intense, focus more on the upcoming opponent (the Eagles), and will be closed to the public.

8 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I was looking to get to training camp myself one day next week, but would have to get there from McLean. Anyone driving to a practice next week that could give me a ride? I could pay for gas 

I'd help you, but I'm already in Richmond. :)  

I live about 10-15 minutes from the facility (depending on traffic).

18 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I was looking to get to training camp myself one day next week, but would have to get there from McLean. Anyone driving to a practice next week that could give me a ride? I could pay for gas 

I believe there is a bus station near the baseball stadium and that is not too far a walk from training camp.

The address is:

Richmond Bus Station
2910 N Blvd
Richmond, VA 23230

Does not look like Megabus stops there ....don't know much about it, just remember seeing it when you come off of I95 towards the Diamond.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Thanks! What's the name of the bus station? I'll look into that this weekend

It looks like they are affiliated with Greyhound...not sure if other lines stop there or not.

Never understood the hype for watching training camp. I went once when it was still in Ahsburn and it was miserable. Its hot out, muggy, full of mosquitos, and you're basically just watching a watered down practice(it's not even real practice because they aren't preparing for a specific opponent).

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Never understood the hype for watching training camp. I went once when it was still in Ahsburn and it was miserable. Its hot out, muggy, full of mosquitos, and you're basically just watching a watered down practice(it's not even real practice because they aren't preparing for a specific opponent).

The main reason folks probably love training camp is because it is the first new football we see in the upcoming season.

Fans haven't had football for months, so they are ready to take anything come late July. :) 

Plus it gives us a chance to see the new rookies and free agents on the team for the first time.

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I love training camp, but  will only go when we score VIP passes.  It's a chance to see the players and coaches, up close. I enjoy watching the drills and the atmosphere.

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

The main reason folks probably love training camp is because it is the first new football we see in the upcoming season.

Fans haven't had football for months, so they are ready to take anything come late July. :) 

Plus it gives us a chance to see the new rookies and free agents on the team for the first time.

You just described me perfectly.  In fact, I'm going to the 1st TWO Preseason games.  Ridiculous, I know.  But then again, The League knows they'll make out just fine off the Preseason games.  Hell, the ratings alone trump Regular Season Baseball.  

Because of guys like me.

5 hours ago, MarkB452 said:

The address is:

Richmond Bus Station
2910 N Blvd
Richmond, VA 23230

Does not look like Megabus stops there ....don't know much about it, just remember seeing it when you come off of I95 towards the Diamond.

It looks like they are affiliated with Greyhound...not sure if other lines stop there or not.

That bus station is about 3/4 of a mile from Training Camp, with several restaurants on the way.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

An easy walk? Or better off to uber there?

It's not scenic or anything, but you head south on Boulevard and hang a left on Leigh. That's it. Easy peezy. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Greyhound+Bus+Station/@37.5719986,-77.4679919,604m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b116da8b83b2e3:0x105500a9f062c81f!8m2!3d37.5719986!4d-77.4658032

2 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

Are you from Richmond? Can I take the Greyhound from Va Beach or Norfolk to that bust stop?

12 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love training camp, but  will only go when we score VIP passes.  It's a chance to see the players and coaches, up close. I enjoy watching the drills and the atmosphere.

I haven't been to Richmond camp ever. I used to go to Frostburg, Carlisle and Ashburn every year and yes, it has to be VIP or nothing for me as well.

I typically go and watch the first part of practice and then me and whoever I go with go find some young kids to give the passes to.

9 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

I haven't been to Richmond camp ever. I used to go to Frostburg, Carlisle and Ashburn every year and yes, it has to be VIP or nothing for me as well.

I typically go and watch the first part of practice and then me and whoever I go with go find some young kids to give the passes to.

Fran and I went VIP, in Richmond,  and handed off the passes too.  We made a weekend of it. Spent a couple of nights and partied.  Richmond is a fun town, at least for a couple of nights.  It's not something that we would do every year, but it's worth the trip.

8 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

Are you from Richmond? Can I take the Greyhound from Va Beach or Norfolk to that bust stop?

That, I'm not sure of. I think there's another big bus station a little further away on Staples Mill Rd. Depending on where you're coming from, I think some bus trips end there. That would be an Uber/Lyft situation. So if anyone's taking a bus, make sure that you're ending up at the bus station on Boulevard. If your destination is Staples Mill, plan to get a ride from there. 

Edit: That thing on Staples Mill is a train station. I swear I had a friend that took a trip here years ago on bus that ended there.

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Fran and I went VIP, in Richmond,  and handed off the passes too.  We made a weekend of it. Spent a couple of nights and partied.  Richmond is a fun town, at least for a couple of nights.  It's not something that we would do every year, but it's worth the trip.

What's VIP like down there? Anything different/cooler than Ashburn?

4 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

What's VIP like down there? Anything different/cooler than Ashburn?

Having never been to Ashburn, I cannot compare the two.  I had VIP passes two years ago, and I didn't like it.  One reason was that the VIP section is adjacent to the second field.  All of the starters (i.e., anyone you would want to see) were on the other field.  I did not go last year due to some scheduling conflicts.  So I am not sure if that changed, although I doubt it could given the layout.

-ct

You're on the other side the ropes, like in Ashburn  and have access to large, shaded shade tents with snacks and soft-drinks, and they have chairs for you to sit in.

The chairs are set up in an end-zone, and you don't have access to the sidelines, so you only see certain drills, up close.

You have greater access to players so, if getting autographs is your thing, (I know it's not yours) but if it is, there are plenty of opportunities. Fran & I got a bunch of them on ome of my helmets. If you must have an autograph, send a pretty woman.   

You also see the players up close, as they walk in between the building, and the practice field.  The podium, where the daily camp news conferences are held, is at that building, and you can watch the coaches, and players speak, as they hold the press conference. There's a gaggle of press in front of you, but you still get a decent view.

I'm with  CTtennant on this. Ashburn, from a pure football perspective is better,  because we could roam the sidelines during drill.  BUT,  we love the atmosphere in Richmond, and will definitely go back 

14 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

Not a bad walk. Four lane road with a median and sidewalks.

>> If you like BBQ, give Buzz and Ned's a shot....

https://buzandneds.com/

12 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

Looking at the google map of the practice facility, it looks like there is some type of obstacle course or something behind the far end goalposts.  I think I can make out the words Start and Finish.  Is this new?

12 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

Looking at the google map of the practice facility, it looks like there is some type of obstacle course or something behind the far end goalposts.  I think I can make out the words Start and Finish.  Is this new?

New last year. It's a kid's obstacle course. Play60 zone. http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Announce-2016-Training-Camp-Enhancements/5c912fc5-2970-4859-a452-69f6d2b05d9e

Archived