Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer….Also Leaf Blower Silencers!

PleaseBlitz

8 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

That's your opinion. My opinion is that when you are paying huge sums of money to a firm  you deserve make decisions about who represents you.  

Your opinion is also as essentially a cult member. Not exactly an unbiased place to speak from.

• Thumb down 1

Pay up, parking violators…Downtown Bend unleashes ‘The Barnacle’

Downtown Bend has replaced the boot with The Barnacle for repeat parking violators. 

The new foldable contraption is now deployed on the windshield of cars with multiple outstanding tickets. 

FEATURED-IMAGE-TEMPLATE-3.png

There’s a phone number on the device that you can call and pay for your tickets, which then automatically releases it from the vehicle. 

You then must return the device to the parking services offices in the downtown parking garage.

Click on the link for the full article

Anybody know how this thing works?

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

How much Elon gonna end up having to pay that kid to stop tracking his jet? Read he asked for a Tesla yesterday but today he turned it down. 🤔

Elon offered 5k. Low ball. Should have known that wasn’t gonna cut it. 

I think the guy is now just looking for publicity now. He asked for an internship and I don’t think Elon was giving it up so now he is in it for the followers.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/09/uk/nuclear-fusion-climate-energy-scn-intl/index.html

Another nuclear fusion article.  There seems to be an increase in these lately as several fusion efforts near important dates and attract more investments.  You guys think fusion is actually going to happen within 20 years or so, or is it still unlikely?

They seem to be making progress, but I'm not sure they'll overcome their hurdles within 20 years to make it a sustainable industrial process.  The intense heat required is currently burning out the magnets quickly, and will, no doubt, wreak havoc on other equipment as well.  Right now they're trying to get a 10-fold return on their energy input, but that cost-benefit goal doesn't take into account the cost of replacing equipment which will likely need to happen more frequently and at a significant cost.  If they can figure out how to deal with and sustain the massive temperatures, then they might be on to something.

43 minutes ago, China said:

They seem to be making progress, but I'm not sure they'll overcome their hurdles within 20 years to make it a sustainable industrial process.  The intense heat required is currently burning out the magnets quickly, and will, no doubt, wreak havoc on other equipment as well.  Right now they're trying to get a 10-fold return on their energy input, but that cost-benefit goal doesn't take into account the cost of replacing equipment which will likely need to happen more frequently and at a significant cost.  If they can figure out how to deal with and sustain the massive temperatures, then they might be on to something.

seems like solving this issue could help develop propulsion systems for space exploration too right?  Fusion engines would almost certainly allow spacecraft to sustain thrust for longer while reducing the weight of fuel required.  Not if they immediately melt their own engines though.  

Exciting tech.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

seems like solving this issue could help develop propulsion systems for space exploration too right?  Fusion engines would almost certainly allow spacecraft to sustain thrust for longer while reducing the weight of fuel required.  Not if they immediately melt their own engines though.  

Exciting tech.  

The extra benefit there would be that if they can figure out how to insulate from the heat of a fusion reactor, then they should also be able to easily insulate against the heat of re-entry of a spacecraft.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/09/uk/nuclear-fusion-climate-energy-scn-intl/index.html

Another nuclear fusion article.  There seems to be an increase in these lately as several fusion efforts near important dates and attract more investments.  You guys think fusion is actually going to happen within 20 years or so, or is it still unlikely?

Somewhere probably. But will it be cheaper than other new energy? Probably not. Nuclear is pretty expensive and wind power and solar are becoming cheaper… 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Not really. If you read the article you would of known the satellites won’t be able to reach orbit. Which means they will burn up in the atmosphere.

I did read the article…and here’s the last three paragraphs.

Since the first Starlink satellites were launched in 2019, SpaceX has put 2,000 of them into Earth orbit, and the company plans to place as many as 42,000 satellites into an Earth-orbiting megaconstellation

The Starlink program would give customers high-speed internet service from anywhere in the world, but it has come under sustained criticism from astronomers because its shiny satellites often leave bright streaks in the night sky, ruining astronomical observations. A 2021 study showed that the 9,300 tons (8,440 metric tons) of space objects currently orbiting Earth, including inoperative satellites and chunks of spent rocket stages, have increased the overall brightness of the night sky by more than 10%, rendering large parts of Earth light-polluted, Live Science previously reported.

Critics also say these SpaceX satellites clog up near-Earth orbital slots that could be used by other companies or countries. Space experts have even warned that once the first 12,000 satellites of Starlink's first-generation constellation are in orbit, they could become responsible for up to 90% of near misses between two spacecraft in low Earth orbit, Live Science sister site Space.com reported. In December 2021, the director general of the European Space Agency, Josef Aschbacher, said Musk was "making the rules" in space, and he called for the European Union and other countries to coordinate so that SpaceX's satellites did not prevent others from launching their own.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Who are the critics? (Hint it’s other space defense contractors) also, the newer satellites are coated to prevent glare/reflection.

I really really hope Musk is paying you for this stuff.

And you sound like a conspiracy theorist. They just dismiss any criticism as being part of some big organized group who are only out to discredit the real "truth tellers"

It isn't just defense contractors that have valid criticisms of the whole Starlink thing. In many ways the whole thing just doesn't add up well considering the cost and the need to have enough satellites to always have one over most of the continental US.

But I'm sure this guy is just some guy who "hates" Musk as far as you're concerned. That or he secretly runs a huge defense contractor company from his basement.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Who are the critics? (Hint it’s other space defense contractors) also, the newer satellites are coated to prevent glare/reflection.

It's also NASA, not just other defense contractors. 

NASA outlines concerns about Starlink next-generation constellation in FCC letter

“With the increase in large constellation proposals to the FCC, NASA has concerns with the potential for a significant increase in the frequency of conjunction events and possible impacts to NASA’s science and human spaceflight missions,” stated the letter, signed by Samantha Fonder, NASA’s representative to the Commercial Space Transportation Interagency Group. “NASA wants to ensure that the deployment of the Starlink Gen 2 system is conducted prudently, in a manner that supports spaceflight safety and the long-term sustainability of the space environment.”

NASA took issue with SpaceX’s claims there is “zero risk” of a Starlink satellite colliding with a large spacecraft because of the Starlink satellites’ maneuverability. “With the potential for multiple constellations with thousands and tens of thousands of spacecraft, it is not recommended to assume propulsion systems, ground detection systems, and software are 100% reliable, or that manual operations (if any) are 100% error-free,” the agency said.

To be fair NASA has concerns with a lot of the large constellation groups being proposed, and have sent similar letters. 

• Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I really really hope Musk is paying you for this stuff.

And you sound like a conspiracy theorist. They just dismiss any criticism as being part of some big organized group who are only out to discredit the real "truth tellers"

It isn't just defense contractors that have valid criticisms of the whole Starlink thing. In many ways the whole thing just doesn't add up well considering the cost and the need to have enough satellites to always have one over most of the continental US.

But I'm sure this guy is just some guy who "hates" Musk as far as you're concerned. That or he secretly runs a huge defense contractor company from his basement.

I guarantee you didn’t even investigate starlink prior to now. It’s easy to find detractors for anything.  Starlink already works.  And is on par with low end cable. Already.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

16 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I guarantee you didn’t even investigate starlink prior to now. It’s easy to find detractors for anything.  Starlink already works.  And is on par with low end cable. Already.

Oh, well if you "guarantee" it, then it must be so.

Seeing as how I'm a network architect for a living and I design and build service provider networks, yes I've been curious about Starlink for a while and have been reading about it and investigating it for some time. I'm quite familiar with it. (I actually got a Linkedin request for an interview from a Starlink recruiter a couple months ago. Politely declined).

They currently are doing beta testing and have under 2,000 satellites in orbit, while most estimates put the number required for what they actually want to do (and how many they would need to actually have enough satellites over the US at once) is on the order of 40,000 to 50,000. 

The video talks about the physics and cost associated and why it's not very realistic. Though I have some doubts that you actually watched it.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1