Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

7 minutes ago, grego said:

I like a good Gin, a good cabernet and a hoppy beer. I need to get into bourbon. Or scotch. Or whiskey. 

What's a good cheap one to start? 

A good place to start is just about anything in the $30 range. Those will be you entry level 90+ proof bourbons. 

Makers Mark

Woodford Reserve 

Woodford Reserve Double Oak

Willet

McKenna 10 year if you can find it

Four Roses small batch or single barrel

old Forrester

Evan Williams

Elijah Craig

Knob Creek

1792 small batch

Jim Beam Double Oaked

Go with any of those and you’ll be fine.

Rye bourbons have a bit more spice (think rye bread), smooth bourbons are wheated. Cadillacs are usually 10-14 years old

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grego said:

I like a good Gin, a good cabernet and a hoppy beer. I need to get into bourbon. Or scotch. Or whiskey. 

Best cheap one imo is old grandad 100 proof , Buffalo Trace is a bit higher but good....both are high rye bourbon (which is my preference)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Robbob said:

How about a tequila recommendation TWA?  I’ve been enjoying Lunazul.

Don't think I've had it.

I prefer anejo and reposadas, my go to is El Ultimo  which I've drank barrels of....but I'm not picky :)

Just now, twa said:

So is Benchmark, but he said good

Well, I mean, it's better than its price would indicate... granted the price indicates it's not fit for the in-laws

For something actually decent at a reasonable price, Monkey Shoulder is a rare blended scotch that's actually pretty good.  Tomatin 12 year isn't bad for a cheap single-malt.

11 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

A good place to start is just about anything in the $30 range. Those will be you entry level 90+ proof bourbons. 

Makers Mark

Woodford Reserve 

Woodford Reserve Double Oak

Willet

McKenna 10 year if you can find it

Four Roses small batch or single barrel

old Forrester

Evan Williams

Elijah Craig

Knob Creek

1792 small batch

Jim Beam Double Oaked

Go with any of those and you’ll be fine.

Rye bourbons have a bit more spice (think rye bread), smooth bourbons are wheated. Cadillacs are usually 10-14 years old

Where are you buying the Woodford Double Oaked,  Four Roses single barrel in the $30.00 range?

?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, grego said:

If your new to whiskey and want a great readily available cheaper pour go with Woodford Reserve Rye.  It’s about 32 bucks and in my opinion the best bang for your buck out there right now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Where are you buying the Woodford Double Oaked,  Four Roses single barrel in the $30.00 range?

?

LoL!!! 

Sorry, what I meant was bourbons STARTING at the $30 range.

That said, the bourbon market is flooded with a bunch of crap right now from distilleries that are bottling the same exact bourbon into different brands with made up pedigrees. IMO stick to the historic bourbon houses, and selectively try new stuff only after researching to make sure it isn’t the crap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twa said:

Haven't seen that in my stores, I'll have them order some.

Tried some of the new Old Overholt 100 proof BiB rye the other day, it certainly wasn't to my tastes.

To me this doesn't have the normal rye profile.  It's very smooth no burn and has great flavor.  

• Thanks 1

I have typically just been into Scotch, but starting on a bourbon kick. I grabbed a cheap bottle of Henry McKenna 10 which was pretty good, probably going to try the Four Roses Single Barrel next. What are a couple of the best ones I can get for less than 50, maybe 60?

Just now, MisterPinstripe said:

I have typically just been into Scotch, but starting on a bourbon kick. I grabbed a cheap bottle of Henry McKenna 10 which was pretty good, probably going to try the Four Roses Single Barrel next. What are a couple of the best ones I can get for less than 50, maybe 60?

You started out with one of the best in that price range.  I'd add Pikesville Rye which is a 110 proof rye thats damn good but brings a little heat.  The Woodford Rye of course.  Then there are some in that range that are good but hard to find.  Sazerac Rye and Stagg Jr. come to mind.  Also any of the Elijah Craig Barrel Proofs you can find.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Pretty much anything on my list.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

To me this doesn't have the normal rye profile.  It's very smooth no burn and has great flavor.  

Crud.

I enjoy the normal rye profile and burn. My favorite is Bulleit, followed closely by Rittenhouse. I bought a shorty of Whistle Pig 10-yr,  and was underwhelmed, I'm glad I didn't spring for a bottle.

I'll still snag a bottle and give it a try. Ever had the regular Jim Beam rye?  

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'll still snag a bottle and give it a try. Ever had the regular Jim Beam rye?  

Nope never had the Beam rye.  A group I'm in is doing a barrel pick at Whistlepig in August.  We have been guaranteed MGP rye of 10-12 years old.  

• Like 1