Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parenting question and scearios

HtownRocks111

Whats your take on this, parents? My s/o and I were discussing.  

Scenario:  A kid takes away a toy from another kid.

As a parent, do you punish the kid on top of making them return the toy, or is the action of giving the toy back punishment enough?

Depends, if he takes it on the playground while they're playing and plays with it, making them give it back is enough.

if he steals it and takes it home, that's a bit different, and severity of punishment depends on the age. Lesson has to be taught. Young kids punishment enough can be bringing it back and apologizing.. but depends on the kid.

~Bang

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

The age of the kid in the scenario is definitely needed here. 

Yeah, there are times to punish...but your job is to instruct and correct.

Not that I mind inflicting mental anguish and pain when called for.

In 90% of cases handing the toy back is enough and not "punishment"-you're just modifying behavior. Not every incorrect behavior requires a punishment to be corrected. 

More importantly: catch them being good. 

Meaning wait for them to do the right things and praise them for it. It's a much better route to getting the behaviors you want to stick and surface. And it's a much better foundation for your relationship with the child.

Its not a good thing if they learn the rules of living with others only through the negative (i.e punishment and corrections and "no"s). There is room for both. Aim for 50-50 positive reinforcement to negative. But 60-40 is probably more realistic in either direction. It's when you get 70-30 or worsewhere it becomes too strict or too permissive. Balance is a good thing.

Archived