Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New York Passes Legislation Making Public College Tuition Free for Middle Class Families

No Excuses

Seems unnecessary to include the post-graduation work/residency requirement. It's the kind of thing that has a ton of implications that maybe aren't foreseen... for example you have a whole bunch of poor college grads that might be employed in NYC but aren't able to live in NJ where rent might be cheaper. Grad school, they are forced to delay those plans or attend an in-state program that might not be their first choice. 

Step in the right direction I guess but would have been better if they just did it without the strings attached.

20 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Seems unnecessary to include the post-graduation work/residency requirement. It's the kind of thing that has a ton of implications that maybe aren't foreseen... for example you have a whole bunch of poor college grads that might be employed in NYC but aren't able to live in NJ where rent might be cheaper. Grad school, they are forced to delay those plans or attend an in-state program that might not be their first choice. 

Step in the right direction I guess but would have been better if they just did it without the strings attached.

On the other hand, it could also incentivize some of these students to seek employment in other parts of New York besides NYC. Upstate NY could probably use a talent boost.

If done right, this could be a way to prevent brain drain that plagues pretty much every part of the country where the younger and more open-minded talent has no interest in living or working.

This is assuming they create some public/private partnership programs that do incentivize this.

I had a whole reply typed up and then deleted it, but I think this is a good thing in general. Educating the workforce and providing them skills for the current job market is essential. We have a large portion of the current workforce and upcoming one that is unskilled for what is available. There's so much to talk about with this, and I felt what I typed went on too much of a tangent about education in general and didn't pertain to this particular article as a whole. 

Great idea.  

I hope as part of this though that the Colleges and Universities address their cost structures.

Lower costs might make it less necessary to provide it for "free".

Paying for college doesnt have to be easy.  It just doesnt have to be as difficult as it has become.  

4 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Great idea.  

I hope as part of this though that the Colleges and Universities address their cost structures.

Lower costs might make it less necessary to provide it for "free".

Paying for college doesnt have to be easy.  It just doesnt have to be as difficult as it has become.  

I just want to point out that several universities have put up analysis of their costs and what they find is that per a full time student credit hour and adjusting for inflation, they are actually educating students for less than they did 20 or 30 years ago.

The problem is in most states, the inflation adjusted funding of higher ed from the states has gone down, while the number of students have gone up.  Universities (in general) in real terms are doing more (educating more students in more diverse programs) with less real money from the states.

I always have two concerns about these programs:

1.  Grade inflation.  A minimal GPA puts pressure on faculty, and yes, I've had students come to me and say if they don't get X grade, they will lose their scholarship.

2.  People purposely pursing easy (generally long term less valuable degrees) to maintain the "free" part and from there universities offering essentially worthless degrees just to collect the tuition money from the state, especially today with the ability to offer online degrees with minimal infrastructure costs.

Rather than doing this, just increase the funding to the schools with a concomitant decrease in in state tuition.

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Didn't read the article yet...but will anything be done about those who graduated from SUNY's with debt, but still have parents who make under 125/100k (or whatever it was?)  Will their debt be forgiven? 

I don't think so. This question was asked on the news I watched yesterday and the guys response was, "be happy for the next generation."

24 minutes ago, DM72 said:

I don't think so. This question was asked on the news I watched yesterday and the guys response was, "be happy for the next generation."

Man, that's going to have SO many people tight.  Something has to give with this student loan debt bubble.  It's out of control. 

Archived