Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

San Diego Union Tribune: Chargers set to bolt to LA

Boss_Hogg

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/chargers/sd-sp-chargers-move-possible-20170111-story.html

Chairman Dean Spanos has called an 8 a.m. staff meeting for Thursday, at which time he is expected to inform his employees that the franchise is moving from San Diego, its home of 56 years, to Los Angeles.

A spokesman for Mayor Mayor Kevin Faulconer had no word from the team about a move. “The Chargers have not contacted the city,” spokesman Matt Awbrey said in an email Wednesday night.

The Chargers have been seeking a new stadium in San Diego for more than 15 years, and a year ago were given a deadline of Jan. 15 to move to a stadium the Rams are building in Inglewood. Earlier Wednesday, the NFL extended that deadline by two days, to Tuesday.

The lack of a modern football stadium in San Diego — and the additional revenues generated by such elaborate facilities — prompted the departure of the team, which has been one of the region’s most popular and recognizable civic institutions.

The Chargers have agreed to become tenants in a $2.66 billion stadium Los Angeles Rams owner Stan Kroenke is building in Inglewood. It has not been announced where the Chargers would play before that stadium opens in 2019, but most speculation has been it will be at StubHub Center in Carson, which seats fewer than 30,000.

Chargers plan to play in 30,000-seat StubHub Center for next two seasons

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chargers/2017/01/12/chargers-stubhub-center-los-angeles-relocation-mls-la-galaxy/96479520/

SAN DIEGO – As part of their relocation plan for Los Angeles, the San Diego Chargers have an agreement to play at the StubHub Center in nearby Carson for the next two seasons before moving into their permanent new home in Inglewood with the Los Angeles Rams, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports late Wednesday.

The StubHub Center is a soccer stadium used by the Los Angeles Galaxy of the MLS.

SYizVr5-Imgur.jpg

I wouldn't say it was just greed. The city wouldn't give them a stadium complex, and Qualcomm is incredibly dated. It makes sense from a business perspective. That being said, since the Skins play both the Rams and Chargers next year in LA, and I'm only an hour away, I'll be at both games. Hell yeah.

12 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

WHY????  Why is everyone moving to LA of all places??  Just doesn't make any sense....

Uh, LA is a pretty big market.

8 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I wouldn't say it was just greed. The city wouldn't give them a stadium complex, and Qualcomm is incredibly dated. It makes sense from a business perspective. That being said, since the Skins play both the Rams and Chargers next year in LA, and I'm only an hour away, I'll be at both games. Hell yeah.

Uh, LA is a pretty big market.

With the current team that played there last year playing to empty seats halfway through the year when the team was not out of the hunt yet.

I just don't get why these rich guys think it will be any different than the last time there were two teams in town?

3 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

With the current team that played there last year playing to empty seats halfway through the year when the team was not out of the hunt yet.

I just don't get why these rich guys think it will be any different than the last time there were two teams in town?

There's more revenue to be generated with these stadium complexes now. Not just sponsorships and licensing, but the teams can rent and lease out facilities to other teams in the offseason, bring in a bunch of businesses and tenants for additional revenue, get tax breaks for creating a certain amount of new jobs, etc. Even if their attendance isn't vastly superior to what it was in St. Louis/San Diego, the team could still make more money. There are still a lot of Rams fans in LA. As for fan excitement, winning cures everything.

38 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

WHY????  Why is everyone moving to LA of all places??  Just doesn't make any sense....

LA seems to be the easy place to move to yet very hard to stay in. otherwise that city wouldnt be the revolving door location of the NFL. id bet that one of the two teams is gone within 10 years and the other before 20.

props to SD for realizing that its kind of messed up that the tax exempt, for (HUGE) profit NFL expects the people that DO pay taxes to foot the bill for a space to spend even more of their hard earned money.

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

There's more revenue to be generated with these stadium complexes now. Not just sponsorships and licensing, but the teams can rent and lease out facilities to other teams in the offseason, bring in a bunch of businesses and tenants for additional revenue, get tax breaks for creating a certain amount of new jobs, etc. Even if their attendance isn't vastly superior to what it was in St. Louis/San Diego, the team could still make more money. There are still a lot of Rams fans in LA. As for fan excitement, winning cures everything.

Thing is the teams don't own the stadium...so who gets the revenue. 

Sure winning cures everything,  but just don't get how they'll support two teams long term short of more corporate welfare.

31 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

Thing is the teams don't own the stadium...so who gets the revenue.

Huh? Owners do own the stadiums they build. They build it with private and public money, but they do own them. Who gets the money? The team does. Ticket sales, concessions, sponsorships, etc., all feeds into a teams revenue pool.

As a LA resident, this sucks so bad.  More people, more traffic.  Disgusting.  Nobody wants the ****ing Chargers here.  They are going to playing their first two seasons in Carson at Stub Hub center which is where the LA Galaxy play.  That's like 25,000 seat stadium.  It's a few miles from my house. 

San Diego is a great town (I like it more than LA) and deserves a team.

14 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

As a LA resident, this sucks so bad.  More people, more traffic.  Disgusting.  Nobody wants the ****ing Chargers here.  They are going to playing their first two seasons in Carson at Stub Hub center which is where the LA Galaxy play.  That's like 25,000 seat stadium.  It's a few miles from my house. 

I thought they were supposed to play at the LA Coliseum with the rams. it's just the new stadium they'd be sharing?

That 30000 seat stadium thing is interesting. Heck, the Vikings had to play in a college stadium for 2 years, but I think that was 50K. I'd the Raiders move to Vegas is approved, why couldn't they move to Vegas right away and play at Boyd Stadium, which at least seats more than 30K.

Another interesting thing is that the Skins will play on the road against the Chargers next year, as well as the Rams.

3 hours ago, abdcskins said:

So if they wanted it so bad then they should've ponied up. I don't like the idea of these punk rich ass owners strongarming cities for these ridiculous spaceship like football stadiums, but at the same time, if they leave, I really wouldn't give a damn. 

Money is the bottom line end all be all. Nothing else matters

Archived