Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC News : Kratom users oppose DEA's Ban on Drug

Malapropismic Depository

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/kratom-users-oppose-deas-ban-on-drug

Many supporters of the drug Kratom are voicing their
concerns, after the DEA says they plan to move the drug to
Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, putting it on
the same danger level as heroin.
“Having it there for pain management and migraines is one
of the biggest things I use it for,” said Janiece Rice.
Some people even claim it’s an alternative to opiate
addiction.
There is an online petition in support of Kratom. It’s
already had about 100,000 signatures. The group also plans
to have a march on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C. this
month.

This is the site regarding the march in Washington DC tomorrow, along with some Quick Facts on the substance.

http://kratommarchdc.com/

What is Kratom?

2016 Independent Presidential Candidate – Robby Wells and the Botanical Education Alliance will be in Washington, DC to speak on Tuesday, September 13 at a rally in front of the White House.
The rally, to keep Kratom Legal, will run from 12:00 noon - 4:00 pm. Over 100,000 people have signed the Whitehouse petition within the past eight days to get President Obama to keep the FDA from taking Kratom, a dietary supplement, off the market.

Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) refers to the leaves of a South
East Asian tree closely related to the coffee plant. Like coffee, it has stimulating effects Mitragyna speciosa has been used by manual laborers to provide energy, positive mood, and to help mitigate everyday aches and pains of the back breaking manual labor associated
with agriculture in rural Southeast Asia.
Kratom is remarkably safe when used in a responsible manner. According to the CDC, over-the-counter pain relievers send over 56,000 people to the emergency room each year with liver-related complications. Between 2011 and 2014, over 11,000 reports were made to Poison Control centers on energy drinks alone. Kratom has never caused a single recorded death and as is about as habit-forming as coffee

What Kratom is not

http://www.americankratom.org/facts

Kratom is not a drug. Kratom is not an opiate. Kratom is not a synthetic substance. Naturally occurring Kratom is a safe herbal supplement that’s more akin to tea and coffee than any other substances.Kratom behaves as a partial mu-opioid receptor agonist and is used for pain management, energy, even depression and anxiety that are so common among Americans. Kratom contains no opiates, but it does bind to the same receptor sites in the brain. Chocolate, coffee, exercise and even human breast milk hit these receptor sites in a similar fashion.

I got an email about this from the Libertarian party, and to be honest, I had never heard of it before.

What bugs me about the whole scheduling routine is that politics and the worst nightmare scenarios always trump scientific research and potential. In some cases, substances which appear to have significant beneficial potential are deliberately pushed to schedule 1 just to preempt further medical research (schedule 1 makes it illegal to test a drug for medical applications).  This was exactly what happened with ecstasy, for example. Researchers admitted the hazards of abuse, but overwhelmingly supported research for treatment of severe forms of depression and a handful of related mental illnesses for people who did not progress well under existing medications. The judge ignored the scientific data and slapped a schedule 1 classification on it.

And of course there is marijuana, including non THC varieties which have no "high" effect, but have been quite successful at combating childhood epilepsy. The government doesn't allow medical research on cannabis, and then justifies its ban by claiming the lack of medical research to prove its effectiveness.

And before anyone asks, I don't even drink.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Sincere apologies for the "not so neat" posting. I don't post many threads, and tried to edit the quote to make it more concise, however couldn't figure out how to edit a quote, under the new forum software.

Hate the new posting software.  Give me manual BBcodes any day of the week.

9 hours ago, Predicto said:

No, I don't think so.  It's there because of fear of political backlash.   

9 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Could be.  I have no clue how to actually tell if it's this or a lobby.  Is there a reliable, non biased way to tell?

Seems pretty clear that this particular instance was not a matter of fear of political backlash ; Congress did not make this decision. The DEA did. They are not elected officials. So why would they fear political backlash, from lack of action ?

If anything, look at the political backlash from the actual decision - 100,000 petition signatures to the WH in just one week, then there's the political march tomorrow, and a whole lot more.

Does the US have a system for approval and regulation of recreational drugs?  I ask because it makes sense that new drugs be regulated because lets be honest, why trusting people with a financial interest to be honest about ingredients and safety is foolish.  We don't have that because here drugs are not for recreation.  If you want to ingest a drug for fun, you have alcohol and that's about it according to the federal government.  Everything else is either illegal or soon will be.    

http://reason.com/blog/2016/09/09/opioid-maker-donates-to-halt-marijuana-l

Opioid Maker Donates to Help Halt Marijuana Legalization in Arizona

A pharmaceutical company based out of Arizona has donated $500,000 to the effort to oppose a marijuana legalization effort in that state. Let's make it even more awkward. The drug manufacturer, Insys Therapeutics Inc, produces a cancer pain relief spray with an active ingredient that's currently high profile in the drug wars: fentanyl.

Fentanyl is the opioid driving the latest of the drug war panics, heightened by Prince's recent death. Even as criminal justice reformers are attempting to reduce or eliminate drug-related federal mandatory minimum sentences, lawmakers are trying to enhance sentencesfor fentanyl-related crimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Congress getting involved to stop ban, though the number of Reps has gone from 45 to 51, since the time of this article.

A large and bipartisan contingent in Congress is asking the Obama administration to delay the sudden ban poised to take effect next week on possessing kratom, a Southeast Asian tree leaf product that supporters describe as a near-miraculous treatment for pain, depression and addiction to opiates and legal narcotics.

Reps. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., and Matt Salmon, R-Ariz., recruited 45 signers in the House of Representatives as of Friday afternoon for two letters, which will be sent Monday to Chuck Rosenberg, acting administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration, and Office of Management and Budget Director Shaun Donovan.

“This significant regulatory action was done without any opportunity for public comment from researchers, consumers and other stakeholders,” the lawmakers say

Click link for entire article

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-09-23/45-congressmen-ask-dea-not-to-ban-kratom-next-week?src=usn_tw

Archived