Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You want proof?

bubba9497

Originally posted by Skins26

Who's to say if we had stopped them earlier in the drive that they wouldnt have screwed us on a call there????

The point is, we stopped them before they got into the endzone, thats the point of the game, and we did it. We made a play to stop them from getting in, and they stole it from us.

You are forgetting that HUGE pushoff Muhhammad had on Fred Smoot.

It's no great mystery that NFL refs are, for the most part, some mixture of incompetent, too old, biased, and apathetic. Jerry Austin is an old goat that should have been laid out to pasture long, long ago. What are the qualifications to become an NFL game official? Should have a vision and an IQ test. It was OBVIOUS that Davis didn't even come close to the line.

Bottom line is that this team should never have let their fate potentially be decided by a group of old goats.

It's no great mystery that NFL refs are, for the most part, some mixture of incompetent, too old, biased, and apathetic. Jerry Austin is an old goat that should have been laid out to pasture long, long ago. What are the qualifications to become an NFL game official? Should have a vision and an IQ test.

Well, supposedly they have to have come up the ranks from the college game. By the time they qualify for the NFL, they almost have to be in their 40's, 50's or 60's.

Thus the failing eyesight issues. :D

Then also, since you are not a "professional" ref, you need to have a full time job during the week that lets you be free for the games.

Thus many refs are lawyers, docs, or company presidents and officers making mega bucks. (along with the hefty nfl salary).

And since they have their full time "real" jobs, they aren't spending the full time during the week learning how to become a real ref. Or how to become better.

IMHO, Davis crossing the goal line should have never mattered because it was clear that the ball was being bumbled before Bowen hit it out. Trotter did something and you see the ball obviously not controlled as Davis lunges forward, and the Bowen pop was an exclamation point on the whole thing. The officials I am sure, were concentrating on whether Bowen hit the ball out before or after they though Davis crossed the goaline, but if you watch closely to the replay video, it looks as if Davis is not controlling the ball as he makes the last lunge and tries to switch hands.

I can't see any point in wasting my energy on these after game IF's ..... if Davis didn't score we won, etc.

The fact of the matter is the Panthers are not an offensive juggernaut and yet they kicked our a$$es in the stats..... 424 yards to 181. The only reason this game was close was the Panthers had four turnovers.

Case closed. :anon:

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

I can't see any point in wasting my energy on these after game IF's ..... if Davis didn't score we won, etc.

The fact of the matter is the Panthers are not an offensive juggernaut and yet they kicked our a$$es in the stats..... 424 yards to 181. The only reason this game was close was the Panthers had four turnovers.

Case closed. :anon:

Did we watch the same game?

After struggling most of the game the Skins had found a solution that worked. 14 points in the 4th qtr, moving the ball quite well. Its a friggin shame they lost on a call that, at best, could have gone either way. This could have been a game that turned things around. The defense was outstanding most of the game, couple of pushoff long receptions don't negate that. And they came up large when it counted. That was either a TD, or a fumble and Redskin recovery and victory. There's no question that ball was loose, then punched, then recovered.

Jimbodaman,

I've been watching football for decades and anytime your defense gives up 424 yards to a one dimensional team like the Panthers, your defense is not playing well. A couple of defensive individuals [smoot, Bowen] made a couple plays on passes that should have been caught by the WR's, but the defense overall did not play worth a damn.

Then you couple this with an offense that didn't play worth a damn, as evidenced by a paltry 181 total yards, and the fact of the matter is we got our a$$es kicked on both lines of scrimmage. We don't deserve to win when your team is this inept. :anon:

The 4 Carolina turnovers kept the game close, but it should have been a rout.

Originally posted by Skins26

Oh my god, i cant take this.........we won this game.

We won the ****ing game. They cost us our season.

Some people will say, that we need to just make the plays as they come and we wouldnt have had it come down to this. But they dont realize, that was making a play, we made a play, to win the game, and they took it away. It turns out it did come down to this, and we stopped them, but they didnt count it.

We clearly did enough to win this game and they stole it from us.

I don't buy it. We would've lost. We couldn't stop the drive. Even at 4th and goal (inches), Davis would've pounded it in and we would've had less time to try to drive down the field.

We're an awful team. We can't find a way to win the close ones. We can't find a way to blow a team out with all the takeaways. We can't seem to find a way to play good defense with barely any time left. We can find a way to score, but for some reason we can't find a way to eat away at the clock while scoring the winning touchdown.

We find a way to kill ourselves every game.

It's hard to swallow; That wasn't a touchdown, but it would've been on the very next play.

Just tell yourself we're a bad team and you won't be as depressed. :twitch:

Just another case of Ramsey standing there like a deer in the headlights. The overthrown pass to Gardner, the missed read that left Morton wide open. The kid got scared and it showed. He was AGAIN, getting his teeth kicked in. The call was questionable at best, but poor execution cost us this game.

It was a very questionable call. And had the refs called it a fumble, and they reveiwed THAT, I don't think it would have been reversed either.

However, Craig is absolutely right. The refs handed us a first and goal on the previous drive to set up our go ahead score. Not only was the ball overthrown (you don't call PI on a ball that far ahead of a WR. That's defensive holding and a ten yard penalty), but the defender was looking back when they made contact. If you are looking back to the ball contact is incedental. I guarantee you had that call been made on one of our guys we'd have a five page thread about the injustice of it all.

Fact is we got outplayed. This isn't our year. No sense whining about iffy calls.

The refs find irredisputible evidence to overturn the call. There was none that did so. If the call was overturned, we would have gotten the ball on the 1 yard line, regardless if he fumbled or not. That's how the rules work. Sorry guys, was a heck of a game but we all had some bad calls including that pass interference call on your last score. Great acting job tho by your receiver.

The refs handed us a first and goal on the previous drive to set up our go ahead score. Not only was the ball overthrown (you don't call PI on a ball that far ahead of a WR. That's defensive holding and a ten yard penalty), but the defender was looking back when they made contact. If you are looking back to the ball contact is incedental. I guarantee you had that call been made on one of our guys we'd have a five page thread about the injustice of it all.

the pass interference call was correct. Howard threw his elbow into McCants slowing him up, not being able to finish the route to make an attempt to make the catch.. ie interference. baldinger was wrong when he argued Howard looked back at the ball. His argument had no validity, that rule states the defensive player has to make "an attempt to catch the ball", which he did not he was clearly trying to disrupt McCants pass route. Uncatchable? no because who can say McCants couldn't have made a catch on the ball if he wasn't interferred with by Howard. The Ball landed in play only about five yards in front, and not thrown way over his head or out of bounds. That was the correct call.

the pass interference call was make up for Muhammad pushing off twice and Smith pushing off once.

There was actually pass interference on McCants though, the contact was made before, yes before, your CB turned to look for the ball, though he did turn and look, it was no till after he made McCant stumble.

Muhammand twice, and Smith once, clearly pushed off however. Thats the only way they can get seperation, and the replays clearly showed that happening.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Nope even from the behind skewed perspective angle, doesn't get in :)

hahahahhahaa, good one, i needed that.

i don't know guys, it's a game of inches, and the refs blow calls every day. it sucks, but it's a part of the game. these refs need to swallow their whistles and call fumbles and then review, as opposed to calling things that aren't reversible by the rules. had they called a fumble, i believe they could have reversed it to a touchdown or having the ball down, as opposed to what they did by calling a touchdown- we don't even get the option of a change of possession.

they really, really need to learn the rules, and to swallow their whistles- i thought they did a decent job of that earlier (in fact, sometimes they didn't call some obvious ones)... but then here in this critical play... arg!

whatever the case, it happens all the time, teams lose games on bad calls. part of the game. i hate it when these announcers take sides like jerks.

btw, i think davis is a moron if he thinks he ran over us (he can be happy his team beat us - with help from officials, but he sure didn't look so hot...)

Originally posted by SkinsNumberOne

i don't know guys, it's a game of inches, and the refs blow calls every day. it sucks, but it's a part of the game. these refs need to swallow their whistles

Let me read between the lines here.

Ahem.

I don't know guys, it's a game of inches, and the refs blow.

They suck.

These refs need to swallow.

:cheers:

Originally posted by Peppers Powa

I can argue with you til I'm blue in the face. But what is the use? We had 4 turnovers...you guys should have won with that alone.

I don't know if I care for this argument. It seems like you're almost taking away from great play from your defense when you say something like that. We should have won with that alone? Your defense played a great game, so no, we couldn't win with that alone... we needed a fair shake at the end of the game, and as has been said here, AT THE VERY LEAST- REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THE CALL- THERE IS NO WAY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN INITIALLY CALLED A TOUCHDOWN.

Repeat it after me, Skins fans and Panther fans together, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED A FUMBLE TO GIVE THE REVIEW A CHANCE TO BE FAIR. Anything else anyone says sounds ridiculous, given how close of a call it was. There was no way that idiot ref should have had his stupid hands up signalling td (and every replay they showed from that side angle, I saw the moron's hands up, it destroyed me). Calling a touchdown ruined the ability of the review to have a lot of meaning. It really restricted and limited the review.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

You can't have this one both ways. He isn't in? Fine, forward progress stopped which means it couldn't have been a fumble.

They would have gotten two more shots at it but nothing is saying they would have definitely gotten in.

Well, they let him try to put the ball forward, and they didn't blow the whistle. They have to blow the whistle for the play to end.

I don't know if I know of this "forward progress" rule you are talking about- I only know that they blow the whistle and then forward progress goes into effect- if they think he can push the ball forward for it to be a touchdown, then they can also allow for a fumble, unless you know of some rule I'm not aware of.

Archived