Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

Wish I could find good picture of the Norway-Sweden customs check border.  Keep in mind, Norway isn't in the EU, but is in the single market (but not in the customs union, which kind of doesn't make sense, but does, its a long story)

But the UK doesn't want to be in the single market or customs union (but somehow they want "access" according to one UK MP :rolleyes: )

And they think they're going to get around not having a "hard" border between ROI/NI :rofl89:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Wish I could find good picture of the Norway-Sweden customs check border.  Keep in mind, Norway isn't in the EU, but is in the single market (but not in the customs union, which kind of doesn't make sense, but does, its a long story)

But the UK doesn't want to be in the single market or customs union (but somehow they want "access" according to one UK MP :rolleyes: )

And they think they're going to get around not having a "hard" border between ROI/NI :rofl89:

The situation is quite different between the U.K. Norway is a Schengen country and Norway Parliament "rubber stamps" most EU laws. 

3 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I suspect the EU is going to tell the UK to go pound sand.  Unless there is a drastic measure like a second referendum.

I'm not so sure.  While Britain will feel the most pain, the EU will feel the pinch also.  I think they would prefer to work with them as much as possible. 

40 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm not so sure.  While Britain will feel the most pain, the EU will feel the pinch also.  I think they would prefer to work with them as much as possible. 

If I were the EU, I would just cut bait if they can't get a deal done by the end of March.  This has been dragging on for 2.5 years now, and the EU has been wasting time negotiating with the UK, when they could have spent time doing other things. 

The EU is the one holding the cards.  They're a much larger economic power.  The UK is the one who wants a change the status quo.  When the UK exits, the EU won't be the first ones to put up trade or movement barriers.  

They've bent over backwards for an exit deal, to the extent of giving in to issues they said they weren't going to give in to, which then got shot down by British parliament.  They lose face in any future negotiations with other parties if they give in anymore, as well as weakening the union.  

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, FanboyOf91 said:

The UK has until 11 PM UK time, March 29, to withdraw Article 50. I don't think Parliament has time to pass May's deal without an extension (too much legislative process to work through).

What about for the EU to consider an extension?  

I can't see a withdrawal of article 50 ever passing parliament,  so I think its rapidly approaching a point of no return for a Hard Brexit.

On 3/10/2019 at 5:46 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

What about for the EU to consider an extension?  

I can't see a withdrawal of article 50 ever passing parliament,  so I think its rapidly approaching a point of no return for a Hard Brexit.

All 27 EU members would have to unanimously agree.

(the UK media probably shouldn't have treated Ireland so bad...)

15 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

I had a family member working in Canary Wharf on the day that Brexit happened. Everyone looked around and asked who's going to occupy all the skyscrapers? Because all of them were predicated on being part of the EU. They had NO reason to be there if the UK left.

• Haha 1