Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Making a Website

Koolblue13

I've been talking with some people and checking out some different website making sites. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm a complete noob with this kind of thing.

I've checked the google site, but the page looks childish. 

Can anyone give me any tips or suggestions?

I primarily used something called eHost and their web building tools. There were a couple of things that frustrated me which probably won't impact you.

You can download graphics to your heart's content, but you can't really download audio. That means that any radio pieces I wanted to archive there needed to be hosted on a different site (Youtube, PRX, etc.) So, if you have a ton of audio or video that you want to exclusively host on your site that may be problematic. Also, I had difficulty getting the email to work properly. I think it does now, but am not wholly sure.

I've done some tests and they seem to work after a very long delay, but you only know what you get... not what you don't. I did make the mistake of having the web builder and the domain owned by different companies. Not to hard, but it's probably better if it's one and the same.

The one thing to keep an eye on is what you eventually want out of the website. Some have limits which are hard to work around when you try to expand.

I've heard decent things about WIX too, but thought they were a pay site?

The one thing to keep an eye on is what you eventually want out of the website. Some have limits which are hard to work around when you try to expand.

I've heard decent things about WIX too, but thought they were a pay site?

I think they have a free version and a paid version. But I'm not really sure.

I think they have a free version and a paid version. But I'm not really sure.

I've heard that site is pretty good. This **** is frustrating.

I'd rather go fix the cylinder gasket on my truck or play with my dogs or work on my menu, but I have to get through this.

I need to learn.

Also, you'll get a kick out of this. The crazy lady who helped me with one, she hyjacked it, by putting Sarah McGlocklin music on the page.

Also, you'll get a kick out of this. The crazy lady who helped me with one, she hyjacked it, by putting Sarah McGlocklin music on the page.

It's a for profit site (business site) be esp. careful of that. For the most part no one will care if you use a snippet of music, but at some point you may get a nasty letter about royalties and licencing fees from ASCAP.

Yahoo has a business portal thing you can use that is pretty helpful.  You can register a domain through yahoo, and then build the site.  I think you can also register a domain, then take it to yahoo and use their website building feature.  Yahoo gives you some addition features too like monitoring the number of hits you have each day/week/month

As the de facto SEO digital marketing person for the small firm I work for ... if this is going to be a site used to attract potential new clients/customers, you need to hire someone who is google certified to do you coding. Google is very particular on what the want to maximize your visibility and the constantly change the rules. If your coding is wrong, you will not be visible. 

Creating your own website and hosting it through go daddy or something like that is the equivalent of putting up a billboard in the middle of the woods. Maybe every now and then someone lost or wandering might stumble upon it. If you are going to create your own site and host it for advertising purposes but dont want to hire an outside firm to do all the work (1-2k/mos) then I suggest doing pay-per-click campaigns. You pay for placement but at least you will be above the fold and can control how your budget is spent.

Im finding that no matter what you do, the return on investment is underwhelming. We got the same results from a 48k per year company as a 12k per year company. pay per click is the only thing that I actually tripled my investment in, 

If the site is not going to be used to advertise on the internet and attract PNCs, please do not consider what I just typed.

Good luck. If you are not a tech savy guy like me, it is a very frustrating experience.  

With wordpress you just build or buy a them you like.

If you aren't super anal retentive about every detail it's a great way to get a professional looking site and you just change the text.

Example of purchase:

http://themeforest.net/item/pet-rescue-animals-shelter-charity-wp-theme/9347370

Live demo:

http://themes.cmsmasters.net/?theme=pet-rescue

Here are other themes from another company:

http://siteturner.com/best-wordpress-pet-and-animal-related-themes/

With wordpress you just build or buy a them you like.

If you aren't super anal retentive about every detail it's a great way to get a professional looking site and you just change the text.

Example of purchase:

http://themeforest.net/item/pet-rescue-animals-shelter-charity-wp-theme/9347370

Live demo:

http://themes.cmsmasters.net/?theme=pet-rescue

Here are other themes from another company:

http://siteturner.com/best-wordpress-pet-and-animal-related-themes/

That second one is pretty close to what I want. 

Wordpress is easy and most of it is free..  you CAN buy themes.. but with so many free ones available at www.wordpress.org chances are high you will find one you like without spending a dime. (.ORG..    there's a lot of .com sites.. but .org is free.)

Plug ins as well, (widgets, they call them). there are thousands of free ones on wordpress.org, easily installed. Simply ask yourself what you want the site to do, and there is likely a plug in ready to use.

I build sites for people all the time, and while i know how to write on my own, I have almost exclusively moved to wordpress for most of the clients i serve.  The reason why is I can teach even a noob how to use it relatively quickly, and then they have control of their own website. for simple sites, there's nothing better.

You need a domain name, obviously, and a host. I use and recommend hostgator.com ..  if you haven't got the domqain yet, buy it through them and upgrade it to a hosting package.  (the smallest package is typically enough. less than ten bucks a month. Domain likely will be about 35.00 per year to renew.)

The best thing about building with Wordpress is if you get stuck, simply google your question and you'll get answers. typically there is a 2 minute video on youtube explaining it exactly. If you have the question, so have thousands of others.

it is easy to maintain, easy to update, but, if it is a little over your head, I have actually seen some halfway decent looking Wix sites.

~Bang

Archived