Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN/Fox: Baylor University Fires President Kenneth Starr and Coach Art Briles Amid Sex Scandal Involving Football Team

Boss_Hogg

change the name to any other school and those idiots would be foaming at the mouth for more firings.

Change the name to "Republican" or "Democrat", and 40% of the country would be blaming anybody but the officials.

Tshile, as with Penn state, I would caution folks not to lump the opinions of all alums in with the very vocal minority who want to blame everyone but the perpetrators.

Baylor is taking initial steps, I'll wait to see what comes out of this.

jesus christ, go read the baylor forums.

To add to my above comment, I went and read a few threads on a Baylor forum, and I noticed a theme:

One person asks something along the lines of "jeez, do you think the NCAA is going to come down on us, what Penn State got scares me"

And someone else confidently states that they won't.  The reasons given are that the NCAA got "****-slapped in court" (their words, not mine) when they got challenged over the Penn State sanctions and they reduced them significantly and backed off.

I have read almost nothing about this Baylor case, so forgive me for not knowing exactly what all is going on, but my understanding is that there was widespread sexual assaults committed by football team members, and there were cover ups?

I think the same thing could play out.  The football players and staff who assisted in the cover ups should be charged criminally as much as they possibly can be.  But the NCAA?  In order for them to legitimately get involved, you have to be able to tie it to competitive advantage, recruiting, etc...such as, they were paying hookers to sleep with recruits and get them to sign, things like that.

Otherwise, the NCAA has no real jurisdiction, unless you're going to try to make the institutional control argument here.  This was already proven to be pretty weak, and the NCAA already looked pretty bad in the aftermath of the Penn State thing (remember, some NCAA official e-mails were released stating they didn't think the argument would stick), so I don't know if they're going to try their luck again.  Baylor already has a blueprint for challenging them if necessary.

All that being said, I'll say the same thing here that I said about Penn State.  Despite my fanhood, etc., if the FBI or someone else wants to walk in and shut the place down while they investigate, by all means, go ahead and do so if they think it is warranted.  I think criminal based punishment is going to stick much better than anything the NCAA could possibly do.

Baylor, Southern Methodist, Texas Christian - all of the major religious universities always seem to prove that the one true God in Texas is football.

SMU is one of the times where NCAA involvement was actually within their jurisdiction, since it primarily involved a slush fund for paying players and recruits.  I don't know that Baylor falls into the same category.  I'm drawing a blank on TCU.

Sometimes Karma is a slow train to Waco. Thanks for all the laughs, Mr. Starr.

A true man of integrity, that guy.

Which is why he delayed reporting the fact that his four year investigation into Whitewater, Filegate and Travelgate all found that the Clintons had done nothing wrong until a few days after the 1998 elections.   He didn't want the fact that it was all bull**** to taint the election process.  :)  

SMU is one of the times where NCAA involvement was actually within their jurisdiction, since it primarily involved a slush fund for paying players and recruits.  I don't know that Baylor falls into the same category.  I'm drawing a blank on TCU.

The usual.   Recruiting scandals.  Payoffs.   It was a couple of decades ago.  

Baylor, Southern Methodist, Texas Christian - all of the major religious universities always seem to prove that the one true God in Texas is football.

This is one of those times where i feel like i have a real witty one liner somewhere but just can't put it together.

This is one of those times where i feel like i have a real witty one liner somewhere but just can't put it together.

Finally! Common ground between Baptists and Catholics!

Sorry big G, but you gotta have a sense of humor, right? I mean, you're letting Trump win the GOP nom (after telling all those other dudes to run, no less).

Archived