Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where does P. Manning rank all time?

BornaSkinsFan83

What's fascinating is that almost nobody mentions Favre in the GOAT conversation. Maybe it's just because he was a ****, but he's got resume to qualify.

For me, Montana is #1. 4 SBs, the most clutch WB of all time (no INTs in SBs), and redefined the way the position is played.

I go Elway (2-3 in SBs, but he got 3 teams to SBs based almost solely on his considerable will), Brafy, Peyton.

There are a few guys to have to put in the top tier, (Favre, young, Marino, A few others...)

I have to wonder how much of Brady is part of the Patriots machine.

While you have problems comparing QBs form one eara to another then you also have the issue of comparing the teams and what they were asked to do . I am not knocking Brady when i day this but he was always asked to work within a system but he has understood and exectuted within that system perfectly. 

Manning on the other hand has been the system - Teams were build around him - sure he had Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison but did they make him or did he make them,.

One big thing Manning was able to do was to be able to show when he went to Denver he still had it . it was not his supporting cast or his system but him , I loved watching him discet teams directing traffic on the line never flustered and never really stopped., For a while Manning had James at RB and teams often though if you can make a team one dimensional then you can stop them - with no running game Manning was never stopped.

It also shows that Isray is terrible at building teams, he leans to much on the QB possition and fills in around him but the Patriots have kind of done the opposite and been a more balanced organization.   

Not the GOAT.  

1.  Brady

2.  Montana

3.  Elway

4.  Favre

5.  Marino

6.  P. Manning

I could see him cracking my top 5 and bumping down Marino to 6, it's a tough one.  So hard to compare against some of the older QBs as the game has drastically changed.  He definitely would not enter my top 4, those are static.  And right now, I have a hard time putting him above Marino, just based on what Marino did with the players he had.

If all it takes was to have a great QB to win SB, then Marino would have had a bunch of rings all by himself. And we would have had none. But that's not how it works.

Where does Manning Rank all-time?

As Martin said, it's better to put the guys before 1970 aside in this discussion, not really the same game. There's already enough difference between the eighties and nowadays to compare guys.

Montana have to be 1st. He had a great team, like Brady, but if not for Leonard Marshall, he would have three-peat. Brady never came close to that.

Brady is obviously second.

Then I'm having trouble. Young, Elway, are huge QB with history. Still, I'd put them both behind Manning and Marino. I'd even put Marino at 3 some times, depending on my mood.

1: Montana

2: Brady:

3/4: Marino / Manning.

5/6: Young / Elway / Kelly / Aikman

I was mostly with you till the 5/6 category. Kelly is more 10 to 15 for me. But I guess just by making 4 AFC Championships you could slip him into the top 10, but for me that's a stretch. But Ok, I could probably live with that.

But the one that really has me scratching my head is Troy Aikman, and not just because he is a cowpunk. I can think of at least 15 to 20 better QBs than Troy, not including the ones you have listed ahead of him. He was barely an above average QB on a great team, with an awesome line and a great RB. The best thing to look at is how they played when he was out vs. when Emmitt Smith was out. I used to have the actual numbers but with only Emmitt they still were a very good team, definitely a winning record. Missing Aikman never really hurt them. But when Emmitt was out and it was on Aikman to win games he could not. Definitely a losing record.

Off the top of my head, Moon, Brees, Bradshaw, Rogers, Farve, Ben R, Roger Staubach, Dan Fouts, Jim Plunkett, along with the ones you had ahead of him, just to name a few. I would take any one of those guys before I would even consider Aikman. Not sure he was any better than Danny White. That's 2 on the cowpunks that I consider better.

To me he was more in the Ron Jaworski, Phil Simms, Joe Thiesmann category. He just had better players around him.

Archived