Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Capital Punishment: How about that DEFENSE!

lovemaskins

If we are going to make a run, we'll need the defense to step up. In 2005, 2007, and 2012 our D stepped up big later in the season to help drive the 5-, 4-, and 7-game winning streaks. They weren't necessarily a shutdown D, but they regularly rushed the passer and generated turnovers. I think we'll need that this month if we're going to grab the division!

I guess I'm wrong. Didn't see any stats. Seemed like they were either going for 7 yards or -2. I'm glad they didn't have but 1 starter playing on the line.

Well, that means the Redskins' defense did its job. Stuffing the run against a depleted Giants' o-line.

If they gave up 100+ yards rushing against that o-line, then I would be worried. :)

The nicknames that stick are almost given before the unit is any good because those nicknames are given out by the coach in training camp (the Hogs were so named in August 1981, I bet people would be complaining big time up till late 1982), by the players themselves or by fans with high hopes. We just remember the moniker if the guys earn it (or it becomes a token of affection like calling your best friend a ****).

BTW, does anybody know how many yards our defense has given up after contact? The fact that we are forcing a lot of fumbles and getting a lot of assisted tackles if we are also giving up an unusual amount of post contact yards would likely indicate that everybody is so intent at keeping a guy on his feet so they can strip the ball, they forget were they are or lose the guy they're trying to tackle,

They started off good this year for the first few games and then looked really bad in some but I was very happy with their play Sunday versus the Giants.I expected Eli to have a huge game and he did not and I was so glad that I was 100% wrong. The thing I love this year compaired to years past is how players have stepped up and played well when injuries forced the starters out. Blackmon, Compton and Jarrett have been very good and to be honest better than the guys they replaced in some games. Riley has played much better the last few games. It seems like things are looking up for the team. The defense just needs to be more consistant.   

They started off good this year for the first few games and then looked really bad in some but I was very happy with their play Sunday versus the Giants.I expected Eli to have a huge game and he did not and I was so glad that I was 100% wrong. The thing I love this year compaired to years past is how players have stepped up and played well when injuries forced the starters out. Blackmon, Compton and Jarrett have been very good and to be honest better than the guys they replaced in some games. Riley has played much better the last few games. It seems like things are looking up for the team. The defense just needs to be more consistant.   

I'm actually hoping we start blitzing a little more.  I realize Barry likes to bring 4 and drop 7 but I think a little more man especially with Breeland and bringing more 5 and 6 man blitzes may help us a little more.  Breeland, Dunbar, and Jarrett seem capable of covering in man although not sure about Blackmon. 

I did like the stunts and twists we ran with Hatcher and the rest of the Dline Sunday.  I don't think we have the personnel to run a pure nickel package like Seattle which I believe is the reason we've been getting gashed by the run.

Good job last night defense.  Please keep it up cause we need you guys to keep stepping up playing hard.  Hopefully the offense will get its *&$% together and make good on the multiple turnovers you create.

Anyway good game just wanted to put it out there.  And big-up to Deangelo Hall.  He was bringing the pain at safety. Wow!

They're playing pretty good ball... especially considering injuries and the fact that the dline has underperformed and the secondary was a huge question mark coming into the season. If the offense could score off the turnovers (and therefore let the D play with a lead), they'd look even better.

How about Compton - 10th in the NFL in assisted tackles despite not starting the whole season.

Gonna be tough sledding going forward though if Paea and Hatcher miss time (and with Compton banged up).

Archived