Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

On 7/13/2018 at 6:58 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Id like the press to get a detailed list of what the government pays contractors per detained immigrant, what that payment is intended to cover, and compare it to all the things these detention centers are demanding detained immigrants pay for.  I suspect there is substantial double dipping going on.  

Sad for this boy and all the others who were separated but the blame rests squarely on the parents shoulders. You can’t just waltz across the border. There is a process to seek asylum but sadly incidents like this happen daily because in our country, just like many others, there are laws regarding this sort of thing. 

18 minutes ago, EBoz said:

Sad for this boy and all the others who were separated but the blame rests squarely on the parents shoulders. You can’t just waltz across the border. There is a process to seek asylum but sadly incidents like this happen daily because in our country, just like many others, there are laws regarding this sort of thing. 

Don't you have one year from arriving in the U.S. to file for asylum?

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum/asylum

40 minutes ago, EBoz said:

That is correct but it doesn’t mean you can just walk across the border. 

Affirmative Asylum Processing With USCIS

To obtain asylum through the affirmative asylum process you must be physically present in the United States. You may apply for asylum status regardless of how you arrived in the United States or your current immigration status.

You must apply for asylum within one year of the date of their last arrival in the United States, unless you can show:

Seems kinda like you can just walk across....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, EBoz said:

That is correct but it doesn’t mean you can just walk across the border. 

Oh?  How much do you actually know about the asylum process that you didn't get from Fox News?

12 minutes ago, clietas said:

Beat me to it.

13 minutes ago, clietas said:

Incorrect. You have to enter through an airport, seaport or U.S. border post. Walking across the border between Texas and Mexico does not qualify.

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/can-you-request-asylum-border.html

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Oh?  How much do you actually know about the asylum process that you didn't get from Fox News?

Beat me to it.

None of the info I presented today came from Fox News. I know plenty. How much do you know? 

Edited by EBoz

17 minutes ago, clietas said:

No you dont. The USCIS site clearly states it doesnt matter how you arrived.

You can arrive however you like and file for asylum within a year of arrival but crossing the border at any place of your liking is against the law and that’s the issue. 

Just now, clietas said:

I'm curious as to what percentage of illegal immigrants in the US is considered acceptable to conservatives? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'm still interested. 

None. I’m all for immigration when it’s done legally. I’m not for letting people who aren’t vetted just come into our country. If you are let them live in your neighborhood. 

4 minutes ago, clietas said:

I'm curious as to what population percentage of illegal immigrants in the US is considered acceptable to conservatives? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'm still interested. 

as few as reasonably possible, though I would support open borders if the govt got their foot off my neck and hand out of my pocket.

15 minutes ago, EBoz said:

None. I’m all for immigration when it’s done legally. I’m not for letting people who aren’t vetted just come into our country. If you are let them live in your neighborhood. 

Thanks. That's what I suspected.

10 minutes ago, twa said:

as few as reasonably possible, though I would support open borders if the govt got their foot off my neck and hand out of my pocket.

I know right. All us old white guys be gettin treaded ons like no one else.

Estimates are 3% of the population are here illegally. Thats pretty damn low IMO.

Edited by clietas

Just now, clietas said:

I know right. All us old white guys be gettin treaded ons like no one else.

interesting you think race and age matters.

I'm open to relaxed regulation for all.:)

28 minutes ago, clietas said:

I'm curious as to what population percentage of illegal immigrants in the US is considered acceptable to conservatives? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'm still interested. 

I will admit I am for no illegal immigration.  However I am also for a streamlining of our immigration process. I'm not saying it should be easy.  American citizenship something you should have to work for.  But the buerocratic mess it is now isn't working either.

• Like 1