Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

I never said it was a clear right throughout the course of history. I said the need for that right is clear throughout recorded history.

and my use of Tombstone was no more ridiculous than yours.

Ah, got it. 

All of human history has told us that all of human history except the last few decades was wrong. 

Ah, got it.

All of human history has told us that all of human history except the last few decades was wrong.

I said if you study all of recorded history the need for the right is clear throughout recorded history.

If that is not direct enough...I'll spell it out. People have been trampled over throughout history. No political system or empire has lasted forever.

If you have full faith in the system and the evolution of government....fine...disarm. If you believe turning your guns in will stop mass shootings and violence...fine...disarm.

I don't and I won't disarm. I will follow my conscience you follow yours.

• Like 1

Unless you want to see the NRA speak at CPAC. Then you will disarm while they tell you to not disarm.

Not carrying in certain places or at certain times is a lot different than a group of government agents clearing my house.

I said I was fine with certain restrictions. I don't agree with everything the NRA stands for...but I agree with most and I know I'm better off aligning myself with them than their opposition.

For instance, I think the idea of a "gun free zone" is idiotic.

You are against the law if you carry a gun... even a concealed gun in this place. However, the guy who is prepared to kill everyone in sight and commit countless other felonies in the "gun free zone" will stop because he suddenly realizes he has walked into a "gun free zone?"

Which brings us to why I have problems with most gun control or the ideas for gun control that are brought forth. These laws are designed only to make people "feel" better, and not based on any kind of logic or acceptance of reality.

• Like 1

Also, living in constant fear of armed madman while being sold a fantasy about being the lead in a Die Hard movie is unbelievably freaking lucrative for weapons manufacturers.

All a matter of faith, I guess.

I don't live in fear, but I also see no harm in "common sense" preparation for what could happen.

Do you lock your front door at night? If you do, does that mean you are "living in constant fear?"

Edited by Painkiller

Not carrying in certain places or at certain times is a lot different than a group of government agents clearing my house.

See, within this is a kernal that makes a lot of sense to me. 

I fully understand the idea of having a gun in the house for purposes of self defense. Now, I quibble at the idea of leaving that gun unsecured because there are too many accidents and too many guns stolen, but I get the idea. I am less comfortable with guns on campuses, in preschools, churches, bars, night clubs, etc. for exactly the reason they didn't want them there in the Wild West.

Again, I think worry about an open Pandora's Box and how difficult it is to stuff the demons back in there and seal it, but... 

If you provide better security the belief they need armed lessens....gun free zones do not provide that security in most cases

Statistically, gun free zones are pretty damn safe 99.9% of the time. How often have you been shot at in a school?

Statistically, gun free zones are pretty damn safe 99.9% of the time. How often have you been shot at in a school?

Statistics lose the little people in the shuffle

Never, same as at home....where you agree guns might be needed  :)

The notion my kids need to be disarmed at college despite being trained and vetted is foolish.....the same goes for staff

The fear they will take the guns or outlaw certain types has driven sales to record highs....Thanks Obama

You would think that by now it would be evident that most Americans don't want new gun control or restrictions.

Enforce the laws we already have and hand out maximum sentences for those who commit crimes with guns. Don't parole them or let them out after serving a 1/3 of their sentence on "good behavior."

This is a gun control thread, not a door locking thread. Focus.

LOL

Statistics lose the little people in the shuffle

Never, same as at home....where you agree guns might be needed  :)

The notion my kids need to be disarmed at college despite being trained and vetted is foolish.....the same goes for staff

I've seen too many drunk frat kids or out of control hormonal prepubescents to seriously entertain the idea that kids should be armed in schools.

I've seen too many drunk frat kids or out of control hormonal prepubescents to seriously entertain the idea that kids should be armed in schools.

Perhaps we can convince liberals to disarm then

I would be open to disbanding frats as well. :P

• Like 1

The fear they will take the guns or outlaw certain types has driven sales to record highs....Thanks Obama

True dat. People need their guns to be prepared for when the Kenyan, Muslim, terrorist tries to seize control of the country. The crowd with the level of dishonesty and stupidity to have spread and/or bought into such an idiotic notion are exactly the folk I want possessing copious amounts of firearms.

You would think that by now it would be evident that most Americans don't want new gun control or restrictions.

Politifact Texas: Jeremy Bird says 90 percent of Americans want mandatory background checks for all gun purchases

politifact%2Frulings%2Frulings-tom-true.

Here's an interesting tidbit, from that article: 

A previous ‘True’

Bird’s claim rang a bell. In April 2013, we found True a claim by Lee Leffingwell, then Austin’s mayor, that 90 percent of Americans and 74 percent of National Rifle Association members supported background checks of gun purchasers. Polls taken in 2012 and 2013 supported both figures, though one taken closest to Leffingwell’s comment indicated support among all Americans possibly slipping a bit below 90 percent.

Here's an interesting tidbit, from that article

I don't have a problem with background checks...but if I pass it I can buy whatever handgun, rifle, or shotgun I wish to purchase no questions asked...

Deal?

Because if I check out...what difference does it make which gun I have....right?

Edited by Painkiller

I don't have a problem with background checks...but if I pass it I can buy whatever handgun, rifle, or shotgun I wish to purchase no questions asked...

Deal?

Because if I check out...what difference does it make which gun I have....right?

Guess that's your way of saying "gee, I guess I was wrong about my claim that nobody wants ant changes to existing laws"?