Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com: Cris Carter urged NFL rookies to have a “fall guy”

Are you ****ing kidding me? lol :lol: :lol:

A recent ESPN feature on former 49ers linebacker Chris Borland described Borland as “appalled” by what he heard at the 2014 Rookie Symposium, when a former NFL player told the rookies that they should have a “fall guy” in their crew who would take the blame if they faced legal trouble. What ESPN failed to mention is that the former player who gave that appalling advice was an ESPN employee, Cris Carter.

[...]The presentation went basically how Borland described it in the ESPN feature: Carter told rookies that they should have one friend who will be willing to take the blame if they ever get into trouble. Warren Sapp, onstage along with Carter, agreed.

“If you all got a crew, you got to have a fall guy in the crew,” Carter said. “If you all have a crew, one of those fools got to know, he’s the one going to jail. We’ll get him out.”

Sapp then repeated, “We’ll get him out.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/23/nfl-com-pulls-cris-carter-fall-guy-video/

There's an interesting dynamic there with Borland being appalled and the two terrible role models (Carter and Sapp) and their background.

Would you need to tell a Chris Borland or Jon Jansen (or a cornball like RG3?) about having a "fall guy" in their crew?  It also seems generational--would you have needed to instruct Darrell Green or Art Monk on any of this (Notice that the vast majority of the names of the guys we followed growing up were Warren, Cris, Art, Keith, Jon with the occasional Herschel outlier.)  Does it signify something? Maybe...

--alternate post---

I'm sure Borland just misheard Carter actually recommend that everyone in the crew should watch the Fall Guy, the classic 80s television show, because then you can live vicariously through Lee Majors' character, rather than act out the plots to the show in real life.

--alternate post---

I'm sure Borland just misheard Carter actually recommend that everyone in the crew should watch the Fall Guy, the classic 80s television show, because then you can live vicariously through Lee Majors' character, rather than act out the plots to the show in real life.

And the name of the episode they should watch was "We'll Get Him Out"...

Allow me to stir the pot.

I agree with the "fall guy" advice.  

• I'm not saying it's cool to flout the law
  • Nor should that kind of plain talk be given at a formal League symposium
  • And obviously, at-risk behavior should be firmly discouraged

HOWEVER...

This is the real world we all live in.  And making instant millionaires out of dozens of fresh-out-of-college 20-22(ish) year olds a certain recipe for mischief.  C'mon man.  What would you have done at 22 1)With a huge signing bonus in cash 2)Instant celebrity 3)A fast car, and 4)Just having achieved a lifelong dream? 

In a major american city?

Would you go straight home after practice, call yo momma, and then quietly study the good book until bedtime?

I would venture to say that at the very least, you'd want to go have some fun & find yourself a pretty girl.  

And for those young guns that are looking for a little more than that, then yes, this is good advice.  Don't blow a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity on a bad decision that you can't take back.

Let's chill on the sanctimony and give guys at the beginning of adulthood a break.

----------------

I am not condoning criminality or anything close to it.  And I certainly wouldn't put my name on these comments in an official setting (for sure).  But the truth is, it's damn good advice.

Nothing wrong with going out having fun and finding yourself a girl, but...you can do that without getting completely wasted..driving drunk....doing drugs...carrying a gun, and unprotected sex.

Doesn't matter how much money I instantly got...responsibility would still be on my mind.

Nothing wrong with going out having fun and finding yourself a girl, but...you can do that without getting completely wasted..driving drunk....doing drugs...carrying a gun, and unprotected sex.

Doesn't matter how much money I instantly got...responsibility would still be on my mind.

Okay, okay....point taken.  

But how many 20somethings working for UPS, or the Federal Government (or still in Mom & Dad's basement) are prone to that kind of behavior?  My point is that these guys are hard chargers - c'mon, they're football players - but most importantly, they are young men.  

ALL young men are prone to poor decision making.  Let's just acknowledge that what Carter is alleged to have said is practical.

Okay, okay....point taken.

But how many 20somethings working for UPS, or the Federal Government (or still in Mom & Dad's basement) are prone to that kind of behavior? My point is that these guys are hard chargers - c'mon, they're football players - but most importantly, they are young men.

ALL young men are prone to poor decision making. Let's just acknowledge that what Carter is alleged to have said is practical.

Sorry...your argument still has no weight with me. Youth is no excuse for illegal behavior.

Xameil, I'm shocked! Those all do sound like a good time though heh

Behold the power of editing.

Lol nice. You work in the media? And I hope you put that in the out of context thread. I'm already in there for think church massacres are awesome...lol

So the "foolishly" part isn't committing the illegal acts themselves, but rather is not having a fall guy to blame your actions on?

Well, look at it this way.  When, say a political figure is caught in a compromised position, the smart ones always have one of their people doing the dirty work.  Or, at least have one of their people to pin for the wrongdoing.

In other words, if ballplayers are going to behave badly, at least learn how to do so as a public figure.  That is how the game is played properly.  Plenty of examples of this in the paper.

Well, look at it this way. When, say a political figure is caught in a compromised position, the smart ones always have one of their people doing the dirty work. Or, at least have one of their people to pin for the wrongdoing.

In other words, if ballplayers are going to behave badly, at least learn how to do so as a public figure. That is how the game is played properly. Plenty of examples of this in the paper.

Ahhh yes, let's not try to correct a problem. Let's teach them that the rich can always get away with a crime and let the poor take the fall...

Yup...a generation of people that refuse to be responsible for their own actions

While I won't condone the advice, I do think that this advice could benefit some of these younger players in 1 area: interview skills.

These young guys get rich and famous almost overnight, and a whole bunch of "long long friends and family" come out of the woodwork looking for a free ride. It's the perfect time to do some interviews to sort them out.

"So, cousin X, you want to be in the entourage of a rich and famous professional athlete. That fame and fortune depends on me being out of jail and not suspended by the league when something goes down. How much jailtime would you be willing to take in my place to ensure that my salary doesn't take a hit? Please, give details."

Maybe have some pre-signed confessions on file, some pre-fingerprinted incriminating weapons, that kind of thing in case of cold feet.

Archived