Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which teams' fans have it worse than us?

Shiv

Franchises that have it worse than us  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which AFC teams' fans have it worse than us?

• Buffalo Bills
    • NY Jets
    • New England Patriots
    • Miami Dolphins
    • Baltimore Ravens
    • Pittsburgh Steelers
    • Cleveland Browns
    • Cincinnati Bengals
    • Tennessee Titans
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • Houston Texans
    • Denver Broncos
    • Kansas City Chiefs
    • San Diego Chargers
    • Oakland Raiders
  2. 2. Which NFC teams' fans have it worse than us?

• Dallas Cowboys
    • Philadelphia Eagles
    • NY Giants
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Carolina Panthers
    • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    • Atlanta Falcons
    • Chicago Bears
    • Green Bay Packers
    • Detroit Lions
    • Minnesota Vikings
    • San Francisco 49ers
    • Seattle Seahawks
    • Arizona Cardinals
    • St Louis Rams

I've been reading Drew Magary's "Why your team sucks" series, laughing my ass off and wondering, who has it worse than us?

Read the latest installment about the Browns if you want to feel better about our team:

http://deadspin.com/tag/why-your-team-sucks-2015

I think it's important to take into account a teams full history when making this choice but I understand if some of the younger fans on here don't want to hear about Washington's glory days. Hell I was 9 the last time we were truly relevant so it's hard for me to really appreciate those teams myself.

You can chose more than one option obviously, let us know why you chose the teams you did. 

AFC

NEW YORK JETS:

Why?  Because of crap like this.  The J-E-T-S did have that iconic afternoon that helped to form the modern NFL, but they've been 'unlucky'.  It's hard for me to diss them because I worked a few years with a young man that is a diehard fan of them.  And those guys are the eternal brides maids.  I guess the bleeding ends when Brady retires.

(And for the record, their owner is worse than ours.  Tebow???)

NFC

DETROIT LIONS:

C'mooon buddy.  They may be respectable now, but they were our homecoming team for years!  I refuse to accept a Lions fan as an equal - they are the only franchise in the entire conference that has never been to The Super Bowl.  Think about that.  Oh, and they're the only 0-16 team in the NFC also.  As far as I'm concerned, it's gonna take an Atlanta Braves type'o run to exercise those demons.

Those are my picks.  Cool thread.

Its funny, the last two teams who the Skins demolished to win the Lombardi in '91 would be good candidates. The Lions (for reasons Otis mentioned) and the Bills.  Buffalo had that nice run in the late 80s and throughout the 90s, but failed to win those 4 straight SBs they got to and last made the playoffs in '99. Be interesting to see what Rex does there.

Its funny, the last two teams who the Skins demolished to win the Lombardi in '91 would be good candidates. The Lions (for reasons Otis mentioned) and the Bills.  Buffalo had that nice run in the late 80s and throughout the 90s, but failed to win those 4 straight SBs they got to and last made the playoffs in '99. Be interesting to see what Rex does there.

'99 Eh?  Didn't know that.  Honestly, there were times that I forgot they were there.  They are that irrelevant.

I s'pose you've got something there Hail.

[Off Topic, but what a cakewalk the AFC East is every year for New England!  It reminds me of how bad the NFC West was for years when the 9ers of old were really tough]

I also picked the Falcons, I live here and will always want them to suffer.

Hail!

Mary, I used to live there too & I agree 100%!!  Falcons fans are just phony.

I'd say we're better off than the following:

-Bills: Haven't been to the playoffs since the Music City Miracle. 4 straight SB losses (starting with the "Wide Right" heartbreaker.) Team might move to Toronto any day now. Plus they have to live in Buffalo.

-Jets: Like Mets fans, are fans of a 2-team city's worse team. Had their moment in the sun with Broadway Joe, but have been mostly irrelevant since outside of Rex Ryan's D dragging the Butt-Fumbler to 3 straight AFCCG.

-Jaguars: Haven't been around long enough to have a long history of misery. Came out strong, almost made the Super Bowl before Tennessee beat them for the 3rd time that year to make it instead. But have no QB, 1st round pick this year tore his ACL, team constantly rumored to be moving to LA, can't see out home games and are always blacked out. The 1 year they didn't finish at the bottom of the AFC South in the last few years was the year the Colts tanked to get Luck.

-Lions: 0-16. Never been to a Super Bowl. Barry Sanders retired early rather than keep suffering with this team. Same division as the Packers and Bears. Have to live in Detroit, home of Kid Rock.

-Vikings: 0-for the Super Bowl (4 I think). Their best team ever, Morton Anderson's perfect year ended on a game winner in the NFCCG against the Falcons. Play in the same division as the Packers and the Bears. And the 2nd best player in their history (behind Randy Moss) has been wasted worse than Barry Sanders and is now almost a pariah.

And finally, we come to probably the worst luck fans in the NFL

-Browns: The Fumble and The Drive. No Super Bowl appearances. Have to live in Cleveland (At Least It's Not Detroit!). Lost team to Baltimore, who stayed in the same division, which has since won 2 Super Bowls. Also, the Steelers. Johnny Manziel as the latest on their QB carousel of shame. Have to live in Cleveland.

-Vikings: 0-for the Super Bowl (4 I think). Their best team ever, Morton Anderson's perfect year ended on a game winner in the NFCCG against the Falcons. Play in the same division as the Packers and the Bears. And the 2nd best player in their history (behind Randy Moss) has been wasted worse than Barry Sanders and is now almost a pariah.

I have to quibble with you a bit here.  While I agree that we're better off than Minnesota (because we have Championships), I view the Vikings as one of the better franchises in the NFC.  More often than not, they are genuinely competitive.  

[side Note: I typically use Minnesota as an example of a team that is always good, but never good enough.]

As recently as five or so years ago, the Vikes were a washed-up-stupid-Brett-Favre-turnover from meeting Indy in The Super Bowl.  And to their credit, when they fall into the surf, they quickly climb right back out.  I got em 2nd in the North this year.  

But they just never seem have that "it" to go all the way.  And that's gotta be frustrating.

(By no means do I consider them losers though.)

I was working with a ton of guys from Buffalo when we killed em in the SB, so I'll always feel bad for them.

I also picked the Falcons, I live here and will always want them to suffer.

Hail!

You can believe I was rooting for the Bills in 3 of their 4 straight SB trips. I'm sure you were too.

velocet

[side Note: I typically use Minnesota as an example of a team that is always good, but never good enough.]

As recently as five or so years ago, the Vikes were a washed-up-stupid-Brett-Favre-turnover from meeting Indy in The Super Bowl.  And to their credit, when they fall into the surf, they quickly climb right back out.  I got em 2nd in the North this year.  

But they just never seem have that "it" to go all the way.  And that's gotta be frustrating.

I think that's the main reason I picked them. It's gotta be heartbreaking to be a Vikings fan, because they were never quite good enough to win a Super Bowl back in the 70s and 80s, and their 2 best years since 1990 ended with Morton Anderson's first missed kick of the entire year costing them a Super Bowl, and Brett Favre throwing one of the worst passes of his career at the worst time.

Teams like the Redskins, the Cowboys, the Dolphins, etc., whenever the team has a bad year, there's always some kind of winning history to fall back on. The Eagles, Lions, Vikings, and other don't have that. Hell, the Lions and Browns have never even made the SB, which has to sting even more. 

I agree that the Vikings are a better team than us right now, but that's little consolation for their fans.

I always kind of wonder about fans of certain teams which of the following they would choose: you can win your division for 7 out of the next 10 years and let come what may in the playoffs, OR you can take 1 Super Bowl win followed by a decade of irrelevance. Basically, do you want the Tampa Bay Bucs of 2000, of the Eagles of the 2000's.

I'd be willing to bet the fans of a lot of teams with no rings would take #2 more often than #1, whereas fans of teams with a more winning tradition (especially recently) would pick #1 most of the time. I'd bet more Jets fans would take the guaranteed win over a chance every year that might not pan out (especially after Sanchez's first 3 years).

You can believe I was rooting for the Bills in 3 of their 4 straight SB trips. I'm sure you were too.

velocet

Yeah, at one time, there were two other teams that were 0-4 in the Super Bowl. (The Broncos and Vikings). But, they didn't do it in four straight years, so they aren't as legendary for it. (And the Broncos eventually won some).

And yeah, the Vikings and the Eagles, they've had some periods where they were pretty dominant. For years. But just not quite dominant enough.

And finally, we come to probably the worst luck fans in the NFL

-Browns: The Fumble and The Drive. No Super Bowl appearances. Have to live in Cleveland (At Least It's Not Detroit!). Lost team to Baltimore, who stayed in the same division, which has since won 2 Super Bowls. Also, the Steelers. Johnny Manziel as the latest on their QB carousel of shame. Have to live in Cleveland.

These two are so spot-on. 

I didn't vote for Philly...but being in the NFC East and seeing all of the other Super Bowl victories has to make them jealous.  Plus, their fans pretty much suck at life.

Archived