Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:Spurrier losing control of team

TK

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20031104-120558-1142r.htm

Spurrier losing control of team

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Washington Redskins coach Steve Spurrier is losing control of his team in his second season in the National Football League, raising the odds that he will depart the franchise at the season's end.

The fanfare that accompanied Spurrier's hiring in January 2002 has turned into widespread doubt. His celebrated offensive scheme, the "Fun 'n' Gun," has struggled mightily as the Redskins have lost four straight games and fallen to a 3-5 record. He has clashed with assistant coaches, and his players have begun tuning him out.

The question now is whether Spurrier can show enough promise in the final eight games of the season to guarantee his return for the 2004 season, which would be the third in his five-year, $25 million contract.

Many in the organization wonder whether that is possible. Tensions at Redskin Park were high following Sunday's poorly played 21-14 loss to the Cowboys at Dallas. But a source close to owner Dan Snyder said Mr. Snyder still believes Spurrier is a good coach who can turn things around.

Spurrier yesterday reiterated that his plan is to stay at least until the end of the 2004 season, by which point he wants to have shown enough improvement to justify fulfilling the remainder of his contract.

"I'm sticking on my three-year deal," Spurrier said.

But things don't look good.

The divide between Spurrier and his assistants and players illustrates just how fractured the Redskins have become in their fifth season under Mr. Snyder. The team has been plagued by turmoil in recent weeks, and there is a growing sense that each person is looking to save his own job.

The latest incident occurred yesterday. An ESPN reporter cited Redskins offensive coordinator Hue Jackson as saying Spurrier refused to change his offense despite the pleadings of assistant coaches.

Jackson denied the report, a team official said.

Just a day earlier, a recent dust-up between Spurrier and offensive line coach Kim Helton was reported by ESPN. Spurrier was said to have fired Helton, and Helton reportedly quit. Each denied it. Team sources said there was some kind of argument between the two, but it wasn't clear how far it went.

Spurrier yesterday reiterated his intent not to fire any assistant coaches. The makeup of Spurrier's staff is guaranteed by his contract, and no assistants can be fired without his approval.

"I'm determined not to [fire anyone]," Spurrier said. "There's nothing wrong with these coaches. We need to get a little more aggressive up front. We've got to rush better and protect better and ... coach better. We're all trying to get a little better."

Meanwhile, Spurrier's relationship with his players is troubled. Two recent speeches by Spurrier, according to several players who spoke privately, raised the latest and most significant questions.

In one speech, Spurrier referred to the remainder of his contract as a key reason why he wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. Although some believe Spurrier spoke in jest, players didn't take it well.

In another speech, when players were expecting a positive message heading into the Dallas game, Spurrier delivered a deflating series of threats if they messed up.

This isn't the first time Spurrier's relationship with players has frayed. Last season, players grew frustrated with his play-calling and decision-making, but his adjustments and the team's improvement by year's end led many to believe he had adapted to the NFL. Now they're doubly frustrated to be back in the same situation.

Defensive end Bruce Smith, asked if Spurrier has lost the team, declined to comment. He also declined to say whether Redskins coaches are being outmatched by their NFL counterparts.

"I'm at a loss for words," Smith said. "Right now, I'm just trying to pick the pieces up and put them back together, hopefully get this thing headed back in the right direction."

In perhaps the biggest indictment, some players said have they simply started tuning out Spurrier.

Spurrier, for his part, said he has not lost his players.

"I don't feel that way," Spurrier said. "I think the players are OK. It's a natural tendency around here to blame the coaches whenever anything goes bad. I hope you guys have been watching the games like we have. Obviously, we need to coach better, and we're trying to play better also."

The most likely endgame for Spurrier is a buyout at the season's end. He is owed $15 million for the 2004, 2005 and 2006 seasons, and it would be difficult for Mr. Snyder to fire Spurrier, pay that sum and hire another highly regarded coach.

The sides could agree to a reduced figure that would allow Spurrier to leave with three seasons remaining on his contract. The problem is that Spurrier can get the full amount by not walking away. Two years ago, Mr. Snyder wanted to negotiate a reduced buyout of coach Marty Schottenheimer, but Schottenheimer ended up getting the full $7.5 million he was guaranteed.

If you've read between the lines in every article the past few weeks... both players and coaches are biting their tongue... attempting to be politically correct.

And the more coaches and players getting quoted in every article shows just how deep the divide really is.

The best thing that could happen to this team is to just come out and score at will on the Seahawks. Even if it's a fluke play..... blown assignment by the Hawks defense.... anything to get the Redskins in the endzone and the emotion high inside FEDEX Field.

I cling to the hope that a win cures all ills. Dallas is the low point, if the Redskins come out and underperform and get crushed by the Seahawks than the season is officially over and all points regarding Spurrier loosing this team are proven correct. At that point, I'd say the players have given up on Spurrier and are hoping for a coaching change at the end of the year.

I don't know about this. They say he's losing control, but I'm not sure it's any worse than it was last year. He's never been a real control freak. And I don't exactly see the kind of thing you see in Raiderland now, either. The only angry vet is Bruce Smith, and that's just because he wants the record.

Interesting article. But if I can just nitpick....

The most likely endgame for Spurrier is a buyout at the season's end. He is owed $15 million for the 2004, 2005 and 2006 seasons, and it would be difficult for Mr. Snyder to fire Spurrier, pay that sum and hire another highly regarded coach.

Why? Snyder's a billionaire. The Redskins are one of the most (if not the most) profitable teams in the NFL. What do I know, but I think Snyder could hire another highly-regarded coach even if he pays out Spurrier's contract. Which leads me to another point...

The sides could agree to a reduced figure that would allow Spurrier to leave with three seasons remaining on his contract. The problem is that Spurrier can get the full amount by not walking away.

Just from what I've seen of Spurrier, I think he has enough dignity and self-worth to agree to a reduced figure if he gets axed. If he knows he's not getting the job done, and is fired for it, I think say that he wasn't entitled to the remainder of the contract. Easy for me to say, though; I'm not the one turning my nose up at $15 mil.

stupid article. spurrier hasn't lost this team. refer back the norv years where after falling behind neither unit could do enough to get off field. that's a team that doesn't believe in its coach. spurrier takes these losses to heart and the team sees that. they also see that he looks confident going into every game. this team is just going to have to step up and play football.

The team is going to seriously have to change. Whether it's with Spurrier or without Spurrier. We have the talent, even with a crappy d-line to get the job done week in and week out. The thing I found as the sadest thing, even sadder than 6 points on 4 turnovers was that the Cowboys had those 4 turnovers in the 1st quarter and by the end of the half, they had the time of possesion. I believe that I'm not the only one that will say, 2 of the things you need are time of possession and turnovers. We had the turnovers, but we kept giving QC a chance to get comfortable by giving the ball back to the Cowboy's offense.

This is another reason that we're losing.

If this had been published in the Post or ProFootballweekly or, even, SI, then I might be worried. The Times, however, is rarely a credible source for Redskin information. The editorials are pretty good, but the facts are often suspect. Besides, the writer is really only giving his opinion that Spurrier has lost control and backing it up with Smith's comments.

It always seems to be Bruce Smith that is quoted in the print media with negative things to say.....yet he is never really filmed saying any of this stuff.....usually it is Lavar that is filmed saying stuff and it tends to be positive instead of negative like Smiths. They should get rid of Smith....

Archived