Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Times: 1.5 million black men are missing around the US

Boss_Hogg

This topic has a lot of options to discuss, as pointed out by Kilmer.

Interesting points made by Destino as well.

Where do you even start ? I think school budgets. All of these lotteries talk about school budget. Should be an equal budget for every single school. A school that needs other types of improvements that should come from local taxes.

Fixing the communities, force these non-profit non-taxed businesses to truly invest in the communities. I recently talked about the areas in DC that were a mess. How do you convince big companies to make them locate there? Chinatown was a mess before.

http://www.attn.com/stories/1256/private-prisons-where-human-beings-are-inventory

interesting video  

Private, For-Profit Prisons: Where Human Beings Are Inventory

ATTN: has a released a new video focused on the rise of private, for-profit prisons. Yes, there is such a thing; in fact, it's a $70 billion industry and many of the major contractors who oversee these prisons are also publicly traded corporations.

Wait, how?

States hire these companies because they're cash strapped, and the cost of incarcerating people is not cheap -- between $24,000-$30,000 annually. Private prison companies claim they can house, feed, and monitor inmates more cost effectively than state governments and so there you have it-- they win big contracts.

Why is this messed up?

Most private prison contractors have occupancy guarantees that mandate their prisons remain between 80 and 90 percent full. In other words, the more prisoners they house, the more money they make. And the more prisons that are built, the more contracts they win.

<<more, and video, at link>>

Product of environment and opportunity.

If you grow up in a violent poor neighborhood with crime you are likely going to head that route. It also predominantly starts in the home. A lot of young black males don't have positive male mentors in their life. Therefore, they don't learn proper values.

That's basically it in a nutshell.

Product of environment and opportunity.

People tend to draw the line along racial boundaries with these topics... I see the line drawn along socioeconomic lines.

I think this problem will remain in its current state as long as the majority of people see these types of problems as a race-oriented problem that needs a race-oriented solution.

People tend to draw the line along racial boundaries with these topics... I see the line drawn along socioeconomic lines.

I think this problem will remain in its current state as long as the majority of people see these types of problems as a race-oriented problem that needs a race-oriented solution.

Certainly I agree. Race and class will always be adjoined. Don't need William Julius Wilson to tell me that. He's a brilliant man btw.

Furthermore, education cannot be stressed enough. Not just proper schools.and resources, but parents and teachers who make sure kids are on the right track. That doesn't happen in the ghettos of Atlanta, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and all the other great cities across this land.

Start here and work forward to fixing the issue of race's and class's impact...

The Willie Lynch "Making of a Slave" letter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcXWr-6SQqE

The Eugenics of Social Darwinism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmoPKQUr5OQ

We are as Americans all are African at our roots......made different as a result of evolving over centuries from our differing environments, foods, and cultures....but not our genetic makeup!

Given time we all will appear the same should our conditions remain the same for centuries.

Certainly I agree. Race and class will always be adjoined. Don't need William Julius Wilson to tell me that. He's a brilliant man btw.

Furthermore, education cannot be stressed enough. Not just proper schools.and resources, but parents and teachers who make sure kids are on the right track. That doesn't happen in the ghettos of Atlanta, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and all the other great cities across this land.

I agree, to a point. Yes, education isn't made a priority in many of these inner city communities. But the lack of resources and properly maintained schools started generations ago. It's a major reason why parents are uneducated themselves, and not stressing it enough for their children. When there are teachers stealing textbooks out of dumpsters of neighboring counties, there is a major problem. When a child can open the front of a textbook and see a list of names of previous users of this textbook, and see their mother's signature....there is a major problem that isn't being addressed.

That is just part of the problem, there are many other problems with raising children in an inner city. Which have progressively gotten worse over the decades and there are no answers for why it happens. We can talk about "no child left behind", we can talk about incomplete curriculums for counties with majority black residents, or we can talk about the wiping out of free resources for low income residents. 

Inner city parents in Atlanta would likely tell you they'd love for their children to be educated, unfortunately many of them don't know anyone who has achieved that, they don't know how to provide an environment which can make it easier for their child to attain it, and it isn't solely their own fault. 

i cried at the end of the Wire episode/season when they showed Duquan wandering off with that bottle collector guy and getting ready to shoot up.

literally cried, not figuratively.

kids with true potential don't always have an avenue to reach their potential, and i'd agree with the above poster in saying that it certainly isn't their own "fault", and is only partially the "fault" of their parents/schools/politicians/prisonindustrialcomplex/economy/etc... 

there are plenty of places to point blame.... too many places, unfortunately; everyone has loads of other people to point at.

i cried at the end of the Wire episode/season when they showed Duquan wandering off with that bottle collector guy and getting ready to shoot up.

literally cried, not figuratively.

That may have been one of the most powerful scenes ever on a TV show.

The high school I went to had too many stories like that. Except we also had a decent number of kids from wealthy neighborhoods. The contrast between who ended up successful and who is currently struggling to get by is sad.

you might look at why they are behind bars or dead in higher percentages.

http://wmbriggs.com/post/7168/

homicide and violent crime rates against other blacks is a two-fer on the removing scale

95 percent were killed by other blacks

49% of murder victims were black

http://wwwhttp://www.cbsnews.com/news/feds-49-of-murder-victims-are-black-men/.cbsnews.com/news/feds-49-of-murder-victims-are-black-men/

This is the sociological truth of extreme poverty. Because the reality is, if you do a separate statistical analysis of black men raised in middle class suburbs you will come up with very different numbers. And the sociological truth is that when resources are diminished beyond a certain point, every living thing on earth will turn on its own. People without hope included.

Archived