Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

If you think of the areas where we crippled ourselves with the assumption that an all-time great rotation could carry the weight (1B, SS and at least two pen arms are needed going forward; hopefully Turner brings major league stuff to SS), performances like this are more necessary than the luxury the media assumed them to be when we were a preseason lock make the playoffs and possibly win it all.

I'm not sure of your point here.  Where did we "cripple ourselves" going into the season?  Are you saying that counting on Ian Desmond and Ryan Zimmerman at short and first going into the season should be considered a crippling shortcoming? Really? Only a fortune teller could have foreseen a month-long slump and plantar fasciitis.   Or are you talking about something else?

Granted, we all assumed the starting rotation would be the strength of this team, but the starting eight figured to be pretty solid too.  Hardly "crippling."

Yes I believe we had to rally to not get swept there earlier this year. Feeling confident though given recent trends.

There was a game last year, Freddy Galvis hit a an eye-level fast ball for his 1st homerun of the season that year, for 369 ft. I believe Citizen's Bank Park was the only place it would have left the yard on. 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=340826122

Only Fenway has shorter power alleys: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/661740-mlb-ballparks-9-shortest-porches-in-major-league-baseball/page/6

Citizens Bank Park now has the shortest power alleys in baseball with the exception of Fenway. 

Left center field is 355 feet away from home plate, and right field is just 357 feet. 

There was a game last year, Freddy Galvis hit a an eye-level fast ball for his 1st homerun of the season that year, for 369 ft. I believe Citizen's Bank Park was the only place it would have left the yard on. 

Bryce may hit one out on a checked swing.

Sucks about Rendon.  Seemed like he was just starting to find his groove at the plate.

----

Saw this earlier today:

Longest consecutive scoreless innings pitched by starting rotations in the modern era:

1974 Orioles  54

2008 Indians  44.1

1995 Orioles  42

2015 Nationals  41.1

At least there is some good news on the Rendon front:

Mark Zuckerman ‏@ZuckermanCSN  6m6 minutes ago

Rendon said it didn't bother him at plate, only in field and on bases. Good news is he can keep swinging while on DL, just can't run.

Archived