Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spending Fight: The "No One Cares" Edition

Fergasun

Cripes, on the verge of another "government shutdown" and I am surprised there's not a thread on this already.

I was just remarking to my colleagues that it was going to be good having funding through next September.

While I understand the Dems are right to. be ballistic regarding Dodd-Frank rollbacks and campaign finance increases, it seems like they have little leverage and should take the deal and be happy to have the input at this time.

I have yet to hear folks defend these provisions either. We should be pissed our politicians use appropriations for passing policy measures.

I haven't heard about any proposals.

I simply assumed that the Rs would pass a temporary bill, that would fund things till mid-February or so, and THEN they can attach all the demands they want.

(And, regarding the two things you mentioned, I predict that the only "defense" that's POSSIBLE is "Nyah, nyah, nyah. We won, so there!")

Wait so the GOP is trying to sneak in perks for wealthy campaign financiers and deregulate Wall Street in a BUDGET bill and the Dems are the bad guys for fighting it?

Seems like you remove the outrageous provisions and everyone can go home.

What's the argument for keeping them?

Anyway I wish the Dems could act this way when they have a majority.

I should also mention the far right is upset that this bill doesn't go far enough to take fight against the President's action on immigration.  It basically funds DHS through February.

It's stupid that they wait until the last moment to pass appropriations for a fiscal year that started 3 months ago, simply because they want to see who gets leverage after the election.  The GOP has leverage and will have even more after 3 months. 

It is stupid to the Executive Agencies to have to go with a Continuing Resolution rather than an actual FY15 budget which enables them to be flexible and do the things they want to do. 

It's stupid that this is all about winning the 2016 election in some way, even though less and less people care about voting. 

Basically the leaders and the budget-leaders all got together in a "bipartisan" and "bicameral" way to figure out what they could all agree on, and made an agreement hoping their caucuses would get on board. 

I should also mention the far right is upset that this bill doesn't go far enough to take fight against the President's action on immigration.  It basically funds DHS through February.

It's stupid that they wait until the last moment to pass appropriations for a fiscal year that started 3 months ago, simply because they want to see who gets leverage after the election.  The GOP has leverage and will have even more after 3 months. 

It is stupid to the Executive Agencies to have to go with a Continuing Resolution rather than an actual FY15 budget which enables them to be flexible and do the things they want to do. 

It's stupid that this is all about winning the 2016 election in some way, even though less and less people care about voting. 

Basically the leaders and the budget-leaders all got together in a "bipartisan" and "bicameral" way to figure out what they could all agree on, and made an agreement hoping their caucuses would get on board. 

The government NEVER goes to an FY15 budget on October 1.  This is business as usual.  And it's business as usual regardless of the party in charge.

So much for that -- it passed the House with Democratic support.  It was close, but it passed.

No way the Senators would filibuster this thing...

I thought you were a federal employee.  It's pretty common knowledge that the government wont shut down.  Word was if they didn't get it done, the would do a cover bill for 2-3 days and get it done on Monday.  This is a non thread.

I thought you were a federal employee.  It's pretty common knowledge that the government wont shut down.  Word was if they didn't get it done, the would do a cover bill for 2-3 days and get it done on Monday.  This is a non thread.

I am, hence the "no one cares edition" -- I do care... but I think most other people don't care.  If this bill got deep-6'd, there's no reason why you wouldn't expect the GOP to simply do a 3-month Continuing Resolution which extends the budget-fight pain.

I think budget fights bog-down legislative sessions -- the past couple of sessions in Congress has been awful because the GOP simply kept on doing this budget-stuff rather than anything regarding an agenda.  Now that they will be in power, it behooves them to get the budget out of the way so they can focus on their other priorities... such as immigration and continuing to rollback Obamacare and other stuff they would rather do. 

I am, hence the "no one cares edition" -- I do care... but I think most other people don't care.  If this bill got deep-6'd, there's no reason why you wouldn't expect the GOP to simply do a 3-month Continuing Resolution which extends the budget-fight pain.

I think budget fights bog-down legislative sessions -- the past couple of sessions in Congress has been awful because the GOP simply kept on doing this budget-stuff rather than anything regarding an agenda.  Now that they will be in power, it behooves them to get the budget out of the way so they can focus on their other priorities... such as immigration and continuing to rollback Obamacare and other stuff they would rather do. 

Given MD/DC/VA regions is flooded with Federal workers, contractors, and the like.  I suspect a number of us care.

Bills like that are why everyone hates politics and politicians. The crap they put in a spending bill and the fact that Obama is going along with some of this stuff. I defend him on a lot of things, but when he rolls over like this and Democrats roll over like this, they can't be surprised when their base isn't motivated to vote.

You are right though, most people don't care which is a shame. It's not just the give away to the banks, it's slashing the EPA budget and tell the EPA it can't enforce some clean water provisions and it is ridiculous that they have anything in their about the DC marijuana bill. Hell, people that voted for this nonsense didn't even know some of these things were in their until they were asked about it.

****'em all.

Regardless, I was going to work anyways. The problem is that the "rank and file" don't stand up to leadership and say, "enough - let's do clean appropriations" because the appropiation bills have themselves been turned into leverage.

It's obvious the "rank and file" are too dependent on leadership for their positions in the first place i.e no real political independents. A shame as with the voting demographics you only need to convince a small fraction to vote for you.

The lack of accountability by the American people is exactly why they continue to get away with this stuff. There is no way the vast majority of the idiots in Congress read any of this bill. They just try to get there little agendas in the bill and say whatever to everything else.

Bills like that are why everyone hates politics and politicians. The crap they put in a spending bill and the fact that Obama is going along with some of this stuff. I defend him on a lot of things, but when he rolls over like this and Democrats roll over like this, they can't be surprised when their base isn't motivated to vote.

You are right though, most people don't care which is a shame. It's not just the give away to the banks, it's slashing the EPA budget and tell the EPA it can't enforce some clean water provisions and it is ridiculous that they have anything in their about the DC marijuana bill. Hell, people that voted for this nonsense didn't even know some of these things were in their until they were asked about it.

****'em all.

Hate to break it to you, but the pork line items in bills have been there since before you were born.  Stop being so deep on this subject.  It's about money and politics.  And like I said it's been going on since before you were born.

Hate to break it to you, but the pork line items in bills have been there since before you were born.  Stop being so deep on this subject.  It's about money and politics.  And like I said it's been going on since before you were born.

Pork projects are different from policy going in spending bills. Pork projects don't actually bother me that much cause I understand people representing and fighting for money for their districts.

Policy, that doesn't get debated, has no business in spending bills.

Pork projects are different from policy going in spending bills. Pork projects don't actually bother me that much cause I understand people representing and fighting for money for their districts.

Policy, that doesn't get debated, has no business in spending bills.

It happens every year, since you were born.  Don't be naive.  Lawyers run congress.  It's the way it is.

It happens every year, since you were born.  Don't be naive.  Lawyers run congress.  It's the way it is.

And that apathetic sentiment is exactly why they continue to do it and why the US democracy currently functions the way it does.

What makes it more of a joke is that it's actually against the rules of the House and Senate to attach policy riders, but they just waive the rule all the time.

Actually it's the lawyers you vote in to congress.  Nice try though.  But it suits your higher ground.

First off, at most I can only vote 3 people into congress. Here is my break down: my House Representative is not a lawyer and I didn't vote for either Republican Senator from NC. Hagan is a lawyer, but there is also a reason she lost this election cycle. (I don't want to get into that)

Nice try though. But it suits your attempt to shift blame. ;)

First off, at most I can only vote 3 people into congress. Here is my break down: my House Representative is not a lawyer and I didn't vote for either Republican Senator from NC. Hagan is a lawyer, but there is also a reason she lost this election cycle. (I don't want to get into that)

Nice try though. But it suits your attempt to shift blame. ;)

Gotcha so you are saying the government isn't run by lawyers, but you voted anti lawyer.  B)

Archived